[Mob] Grindylow

"VAs are too strong!" "Evokers are too weak!" "Nerf Kinu!"
A place for all your ideas and woes regarding game balance.
Akame
Talkative Poster
Talkative Poster

[Mob] Grindylow

Post by Akame » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Can their reduction when burrowed be equal to their current level - the maximum reduction being 70% for a level 70 mob, and with a minimum of 10% for lower levels?

90% is honestly ridiculous, and I don't really have a problem killing them, but that's only because I was thankfully prepared by coincidence via Rising Tide. Having to have the perfect classes equipped just to battle a non-boss mob is just unfair.

Edit: Or 30% minimum, because of the stun reduction.
Last edited by Akame on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shujin
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Re: [Mob] Grindylow

Post by Shujin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Yeah, I fully agree. Or give at the very least more options to unroot them from the ground. Like with Push back/Knock downs or something.

But OP should be enough aswell to make it fair again. These things are harder for low level people than bosses.

Miller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Miller » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Burrow definitely needs a few more counters yeah. This change is nice and would stop lower level characters from running into impending doomwalls of 90% damage reduction every other BDP.

Snake
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Snake » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Knockback/Knockdown removing buried state is enough if added to Airborne.
Image ~ Dev, 08/16/2016.

Slydria
GM
GM

Post by Slydria » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Agreed, I don't think most new players can deal with them since they're hard to put down if you aren't packing Earth Damage or a knock-up in your kit which isn't very likely for pre-promotion classes.

Joseph Jostar
Talkative Poster
Talkative Poster

Post by Joseph Jostar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm

feels like the burrowing skill should be one of those 'mob promotions' things that they get at later levels, like how high-end jammer alphas start dividing and get accel

Noxid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Noxid » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 am

Some sort of scaling option would be best. I think these should still pose a threat to players at max level since PvE is a cakewalk for the most part.

Spoops
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Spoops » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:23 am

I think that Grindylows need their damage reduced as well, the 22 range skill seems to do way too much damage, and its fine for them to have range and snipe you but the damage chunks even down heavy heavy RES builds.

Noxid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Noxid » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Not to mention it makes them amazing as merc mobs. They tear through most enemies.

Roland_Staghare
Novice Member
Novice Member

Post by Roland_Staghare » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:12 am

Seems its a reasonable time to bring this back up. Their level scaling as it stands is incredibly awful, doing ~100 damage a smack even down into single digit levels. This is not just a grave issue for any new player who decides to detour into a level 3 dungeon and naturally doesn't understand the threat of icebloods, but doesn't even have a grasp of the basics yet, but also still is a death sentence for newly created characters period, as they will not have options to send them airborne. Not that anyone who aren't playing mage, kensei, boxer or DH have anyways. Its not exactly like everyone can be expected to carry around aerialite stones, either, since most people aren't going to have alchemy 5 or have enough black pearls to just throw them out every five PvE fights. Backstabbing the mob alone isn't enough, as there could be multiple grindylows, or they could not spawn in close enough in the fight. Running away is not always an option, as if you're at those low, one shot levels you might not survive to make it to the edge of the map, or there simply may be a tyrant to prevent fleeing.

I could keep going on, at length, about how poorly designed these are at current, but I think that sums up the major issues. No level scaling, high damage even at low levels leading to one shot deaths with no option to flee, high damage resistance with no or few options to overcome at low levels and entirely binary build dependent "if you picked one of these classes you can win, if not tough cookies" design.