NEUS Projects

Full Version: Making Protect actually protect you
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From what I've seen, Protect only works vs basic attacks and considering how it's the only skill that lets you tank for your allies and is only 1 range, it's not very good at its job.

So I have 2 main suggestions to help this skill out and make it worth grabbing
  1. - Make it work vs single target skills (not magic).
    It's pretty lame when you're a tank and all you can do is watch as your mage get their head cracked by bandits, wrecked by slider zombies, and anything else that uses FP because they thought you would protect them.
Or
[list=2]- Increase the range of protect.
If it's going to be situational, it should at least give your allies some breathing room so it's worth making use of. As it is now, it requires some setting up since you have to get your allies in 1 range to make use of it and the reward for doing so is almost negligible. You wind up dragging the fight out when you could just kill things instead just to watch your allies get zapped by vorpal bunnies because monsters burn their FP first thing and attack later. With more range, you can at least make it so you don't hinder your team just to get some use out of it (Like not requiring your BK to be in a volley formation to protect your archers or letting your VA get flanks off, etc)[/list]

I'm not saying enemies are so hard that protect needs to be buffed but it would be nice if this situational skill requiring a shield was at least good at its job and not a waste of a skill slot.
Perhaps change it to a targeted skill as well instead of a toggle, allowing you to designate one ally, or
more as the duration increases, to be your charges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Protect ~ 5 ranks
Cost: 5 FP, 3M
Shield skill. Ally only. Range 5.

For the next 1 round, target ally within 5 range becomes your charge. As long as your charge remains
within 5 range of you, all damage against your charge from external, single-target sources is dealt to
you instead. Protect does not stop your charge from spending HP or hurting herself, nor does it protect
her from the ticks of lingering damage effects such as Poison or Burn. However, any skill you use on
yourself that would remove harmful status effects will also remove them from your charge. Your charge
does not gain any other benefits that such a skill might grant you.

You gain a bonus to DEF against any physical damage that has been redirected to you in this way.

Rank 1: Cost: 7 FP, Defense +2
Rank 2: Cost: 9 FP, Defense +4, Duration: 2 rounds
Rank 3: Cost: 11 FP, Defense +6
Rank 4: Cost: 13 FP, Defense +8, Duration: 3 rounds
Rank 5: Cost: 15 FP, Defense +10, Invoke the Black Wind, and
teleport adjacent to your charge when intercepting an attack.
You gain the Black Wind status effect before damage is dealt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few things of note! First, yes. This is a Soldier skill, and it invokes the Black Wind. As Black Knight is
a Soldier promotion, it makes sense that there would be a teeny bit of the Black Wind in the Soldier
skill list. Else, how would they get a taste of what it's like to be a Black Knight? This doesn't do anything
for a mere Soldier, but for a Black Knight, it allows them to increase its effectiveness.

Second, as it costs 3M and requires a shield, it is perfectly intended that the protective Soldier's turn
would consist of Protect -> Guard, resulting in reducing the intercepted damage. It would synergize well
with Tactician as well, enabling a Black Knight / Tactician to order a guard, then protect an ally, then
guard with their remaining 1M to gain the healing effect. Or even ~protecting~ a Tactician, who could
order you to guard, and then you protect her and guard 40%, while healing from the guard order.
I wouldn't mind if it just proc'd for skills too. All sounds good really.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=396#p396 Wrote:Maikito ยป Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:45 am[/url]"]I wouldn't mind if it just proc'd for skills too. All sounds good really.

I also agree, but I don't think it should get Black Wind. Promotion class tied to it or not, other classes won't benefit from that at all.
They don't need to benefit from it. It's there to make Protect just a teeny bit better for
Black Knights than it is for non-Black Knights. If you have a problem with that, then I
don't think you're quite up on the concept of what a Black Knight is supposed to be in
relation to other classes.