NEUS Projects

Full Version: Tome Smack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Feels awkward that it deals blunt damage but is classified as magical (Targeting Resistance). Having a whole bunch of armor should probably protect you from getting whacked by a few pieces of paper. I suggest the damage type be changed to physical, and that the loss of 2 momentum be subject to a turn of status immunity. Being hit for 30-90 blunt damage and then a spell, then only being able to act once that turn unless you are a Duelist who crits, is overbearing. Knockdown immunity exists precisely so that this doesn't happen.
I think this was addressed in the old forums since it also counts as a ranged attack.

The decision was that people with decent will and decent skill are not usually using tomes so the tome smack that costs 4m anyway isn't a big deal or somethin.
Just because most people don't build ski/will and use tomes, doesn't mean the issue should be disregarded. If the target can consistently hit with tome smack, you are essentially permanently knocked down. If they decide to hit you with tome smack then walk away, you better have ranged attacks or a way to close the gap and attack at the same time, or you are no longer able to fight back. I stand by the suggestion that tome smack should target defense and offer status immunity for the following turn. After all, it is disproportionately stronger than many of the other special attacks.

Removing the 2m loss on full momentum targets to 1 all the time may also be worth considering, as an alternative.
Reducing the M reduction to 1 constantly would make the skill pointless.

I vote to leave this as-is. "Perma-knockdown" is only successful if the mage stays in a one-tile range, which most would rather not do, I'm sure.
You know a mage doesn't even have to wield a tome to do this, right?

A MG with good skill and decently high will can do this.

Monk/Tactician.

Knockdown, Tome Smack.
Used a tome weapon to melee.
Gain FP.
Repeat.
After some testing with a build that seemed like it was made for this:
I suggest lowering the cost to 3 Momentum, making it only take away 1, and probably changing the damage to physical.
"MegaBlues" Wrote:Reducing the M reduction to 1 constantly would make the skill pointless.

I vote to leave this as-is. "Perma-knockdown" is only successful if the mage stays in a one-tile range, which most would rather not do, I'm sure.

If you ever get tome smacked in melee range, unless your move is greater than the person smacking you with the tome, you will never be able to get away. If you use your one action at 5m to run away, they use their two to run up to you, and tome smack again. For a trait that is meant to give diversity to different weapons, this one is way too crippling in particular situations.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7678#p7678 Wrote:Kameron8 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:57 pm[/url]"]
"MegaBlues" Wrote:Reducing the M reduction to 1 constantly would make the skill pointless.

If you ever get tome smacked in melee range, unless your move is greater than the person smacking you with the tome, you will never be able to get away. If you use your one action at 5m to run away, they use their two to run up to you, and tome smack again. For a trait that is meant to give diversity to different weapons, this one is way too crippling in particular situations.

If your opponent is attacking with a Tome, why are you trying to run away? You don't get good Wil + Def builds (Hexer exists, but I'm the only one crazy enough to level as a Haxer judging from all the Hexer balances made based on Evoker will) so they're either doing poor damage or you can deal very hefty damage right back. A one-tile range is nigh-suicidal for many tome users to sustain for long. Sure, there's always ways to exploit this, such as Life Drain to mitigate the damage the Tome Smacker needs to worry about, and of course Sderg mentioned the highly situational infinite loop that only one very specific class combo can exploit, but overall, it's not a massive issue.

If the M cost reduction WAS only 1, there'd be no point to ever Smacking at all, ever; your opponent would still get two actions, and you would not want to stay at that range/ attack with the tome.

That said, I AM fully in support of making it do PHYSICAL damage. As well as probably giving it a substantial penalty to hit, because dodging a book is likely far easier than the magic within it's pages.
I didn't feel like pointing out how wrong today's wall of text was, so I'm just going to go with the part most people don't understand:

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7712#p7712 Wrote:Ranylyn » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:47 pm[/url]"]If the M cost reduction WAS only 1, there'd be no point to ever Smacking at all, ever; your opponent would still get two actions, and you would not want to stay at that range/ attack with the tome.
If you seriously think this, then you think there's no point to ever getting Tactician at all, ever.

If you only have 6 momentum to act, you:
  • Can't repeat the same action
  • Lose the rest of your turn to any Resist
  • Stop Guarding, or at least lower it by 10%
  • Stop Silent Prayer, or at least make it use half their turn
  • Stop Shukuchi, or at least make it use half their turn
  • Stop any skill that costs more than 3 Momentum
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7713#p7713 Wrote:Soapy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:57 pm[/url]"]
If you only have 6 momentum to act, you:
  • Can't repeat the same action
  • Lose the rest of your turn to any Resist
  • Stop Guarding, or at least lower it by 10%
  • Stop Silent Prayer, or at least make it use half their turn
  • Stop Shukuchi, or at least make it use half their turn
  • Stop any skill that costs more than 3 Momentum

1) You say that as if you only have one action worth using.
2) Why haven't you already worked out their resists before they got into smack range? Did they have 30 move?
3) 10% Isn't a massively huge deal. 70 to 63, etc. It helps, but it's not a gamebreaker.
4) Odds are, if you're causing silence and using tome smack, your opponent is an idiot for getting in 1 range as a spell user.
5) If they need to escape you that badly, it would be a turn well spent. I see no issue.
6) It adds a tactical element of "How much do I really want to use that 4-5M skill?"

I'm not saying you have no points. I definitely was a bit fast in saying "at all ever" since not everyone is prepared for everything. But I -AM- saying that you still have WAY too many options with 6M when your opponent is bludgeoning you with a book whose purpose is to reduce your M, versus just casting at you from afar instead.
Pages: 1 2