NEUS Projects

Full Version: Life Drain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, after some thought and a few instances of seeing it in action, as it stands, Life Drain gives way too much for what it costs. For 3m it's a flat 10% damage/heal. No FP cost whatsoever.

An easy fix for this is...make it cost FP. Somewhere around 10-20 sounds reasonable to me.

Another suggestion is to possibly make it cap at a certain point (i.e. 50 HP at most ,regardless of will).

I don't think I need to go too far into detail to explain why there's issues with it beyond saying "unmitigatable damage that heals the user for the same amount for 3m".
I agree, the damage is already static since it doesn't get reduced by anything in the game. Make it cost FP.
I agree with making it cost some FP. 15 sounds completely reasonable when you comnpare it to how much you could get out of a Graft with a tome.

That said, I don't think it's OP. Since it caps with enemy HP, only people who go out of their way to stack HP really have to worry. The suggestion to cap it at 50 seems unneeded since most characters will only go above 500 HP if they stack HP (High Vit growths, Leviathan, etc) which is quite honestly less beneficial than raising defenses instead, as heals will be more efficient this way if you think about it, and Poison also scales with Max HP, so there's definite benefits to leabing HP low.

TLDR: Make it cost FP, but it not having a cap is perfectly acceptable counterplay to people who nerdgasm over Leviathan enchants.
I think a 15 FP cost is a good idea.
Life Drain might look great on paper, but it forces the user into a risky attrition game. Believe it or not, this skill is actually suicide against glass cannon archetypes, due to their typically low HP; it will only work well against tanky builds. (It may also work as a finisher skill, provided that going into melee range is a plausible tactic)

It's also a vital piece to keep a cornered Lich alive, given their crippled HP and all.

That all being said, in the absence of detailed examples, I'd say to just leave Life Drain as it is.
"Chaos" Wrote:Life Drain might look great on paper, but it forces the user into a risky attrition game. Believe it or not, this skill is actually suicide against glass cannon archetypes, due to their typically low HP; it will only work well against tanky builds. (It may also work as a finisher skill, provided that going into melee range is a plausible tactic)

It's also a vital piece to keep a cornered Lich alive, given their crippled HP and all.

That all being said, in the absence of detailed examples, I'd say to just leave Life Drain as it is.

It's terrible against glass cannons, but it all but gives you free wins against tanks. Liches will never run out of FP, so this will generally not bother them in the least. There's no reason vampires should be allowed to gain 100 health, and deal 100 damage for free with no penalty against any class, no matter what. A FP cost hit is marginal in the scheme of things.
I think a 15 FP cost is reasonable.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7720#p7720 Wrote:Kameron8 ยป Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:07 am[/url]"]It's terrible against glass cannons, but it all but gives you free wins against tanks. Liches will never run out of FP, so this will generally not bother them in the least. There's no reason vampires should be allowed to gain 100 health, and deal 100 damage for free with no penalty against any class, no matter what. A FP cost hit is marginal in the scheme of things.

Where are you getting those numbers? 100 Health would mean not only that the Lich/Vamp needs 100 Will (A number physically impossible for the Vampire to attain due to being unable to get above 100% Will growths even with LE bonuses) but would ALSO require the target to have 1000 HP. This simply does not happen. And if you're talking about taking a double action on a 500 HP target (Which, again, is still decently high, but rather attainable) that would be your entire turn, and it would likely be decently easy for them to outdamage your drains.

Also, after making a new vampire last night since I had a neat concept, I have one last suggestion to make: If Life Drain is going to cost 15 FP now, could we put a minumum drain amount on it, say 10? That would prevent it from being 100% useless at first.