NEUS Projects

Full Version: PSA: Aliases/Descriptions and Fear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I could go on a long spiel about how different people find different things scary, but that would just be met with "baaaw, someone's trying too hard to be hardcore," so I'll jump right to Shaitans are canonically and ICly IMMUNE to fear, and as such, maybe telling someone how spooky/creepy/etc YOU want your character to be in your alias/description may not be a very helpful alias/description to have. A better idea would be to be more descriptive and letting individuals decide how to react to you; I guarantee more people would actually act wary as opposed to being sarcastic about it. After all, who's the one trying too hard to be hardcore; the one not afraid of someone based on appearances alone, or the one trying to instill unease or fear based solely on their outward appearance? That's what an alias/description is, after all: What people see when they look at you.

If you want to be feared, do it via roleplay.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=10607#p10607 Wrote:Ranylyn » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:07 pm[/url]"]That's what an alias/description is, after all: What people see when they look at you.

If you want to be feared, do it via roleplay.

Just this.
I thought this was going to be a complaint about everyone being immune to fear and pain because they're special snowflakes.

I'm disappointed.
Ranylyn knows the truth.
This is a double-edged matter: On one side, people will not react to situations where their character would be genuinely afraid/terrified/gripped by fear, or even worse, break out the sarcasm. Then we have this case, where people try to go 'OH THIS IS SCARY OOOOOH DIS B THRILLER etc.'

For the latter (People trying to forcefully invoke fear in their description/alias), people need to set a limit: Don't try to force fear down their throats, but give an image and a description that tend to make people uneasy without appearing forceful. Alias shouldn't even be needed here. The rest comes down to your RP.

For the former (People that can't RP being afraid right/ever), let me make this clear: Unless you are a Shaitan, you will naturally feel fear. It honestly doesn't matter how 'fearproof' you think your character is. You might have an adrenaline rush cover it up (Recklessness, Red Cape).... or push it down with discipline (Steel Mind).... Or get some magical aid (-Insert Priest's relevant skill here-).... But you will never be truly fearless. In certain situations (high/complete loss of control, imminent death, nightmares coming true), your fear is likely to get the better of you. And much like your survival instincts or emotions in general, fear isn't something you can just switch on and off at a whim. You're only good at hiding or handling it at best.
Chaos, seeing fear (the game mechanic) being only resistible with other game mechanics (such as red cape), doesn't appeal to me much as a roleplayer. I roleplay my characters that are more resistant to fear being wary in battle rather than being scared, when inflicted with the status of fear. It doesn't make sense to have to be forced to roleplay being scared when a level one uses absolute fear on your level sixty character. I personally have characters that, even though they are not a shaitan, do not feel fear easily and in fact take certain things to make them scared (in the example of Bloeden, he's scared of his father, but he doesn't care about anything else fear-wise). Different people fear different things, and to say "only one race doesn't care about scary things" is kind of controlling other's roleplay.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=10615#p10615 Wrote:Soapy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:41 pm[/url]"]I thought this was going to be a complaint about everyone being immune to fear and pain because they're special snowflakes.

I'm disappointed.

That's a matter for another time - but worth addressing as well.

Like I said, though, different people find different things scary, for different reasons. Very often, it's things that one found unnerving as a child - hence why many people fear things like Clowns or Animatronics, and the Uncanny in general. Different people also react to fear in different ways. I, personally, IRL, react to fear by challenging it head on since, one way or another, it'll be over faster than if I avoid it. (Sure, I'd be the first to die in a bad situation, but details.) This makes some people think I'm fearless, but it's just the opposite, really.

This is actually why I disike the "Fear" status in SL2, since many people who can inflict it... are people I'd sooner laugh at than fear. Someone with a gun? Sure, I'll be afraid, guns are deadly and bullets are incredibly difficult to dodge compared to other weapons. Someone with massive plate armor? Sure, I'll be afraid, I can't get through that, and it's one of the few times I'd rather try to run. A loudmouthed loli who subbed Kensei just for Absolute Fear? I'd laugh and kick them in the face, because what logical reason would I have to fear that? If anything, I'd rather roleplay the hit penalty as the size difference instead of being afraid, because... I mean, really!

Sorry. I got off topic. My point is, different people are afraid of different things, and a non-shaitan with no fears is just a special little snowflake who needs to be melted, agreed. But just because someone isn't afraid of something, doesn't mean they're not afraid of other things. To quote a Youtube video about what makes a good horror game, "The mind of the adult is rock-solid. To make a good horror game, you need to assault the mind of the child." This was the reason I made this post; because so many people seem to think their characters should be feared when they've done nothing to cause fear in the first place.