NEUS Projects

Full Version: [Skills] More "General" weapon skills.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sidecut. Mad Chop. Thousand stab. These are specialized weapon skills. Skills for specific weapons.

Repel. Hanging. Technically Banquet. These are general weapon skills. They work with any weapon. If you realy really wanted to, you could Hanging with a Shotgun, or Repel with a Tome.

As it stands now, the weapons are imbalanced in terms of available skills. Swords beat Axes and Spears quite handily, for example.

General weapon skills are nice because you don't need a specific weapon. They can work with a number of builds and strategies. It also allows you to change weapons as needed. (In a dungeon, using an axe, but you found a shiny new spear you want to test? General skills to the rescue!)

The following are a list of suggestions for new skills or changing existing skills to make a few more things more viable in general.

SOLDIER:

- Tackle (10 FP, Movement = range, straight line. Deals more damage based on the length of your running start. Can miss. No on-hit effects.

DUELIST

Sidecut is just a hit with the weapon as you dash past. No reason to make it exclusive to swords, unless you're going "Oh, Disgaea had that."

GHOST

Okay, I get it. It's a duelist promotion. But Sanguine Star theoretically works with so much more than just swords. Heck, if anything, I'd argue that AOE and skill effect has a lot to do more with the dark energies they harness than anything else. It might make more sense to call that move a howl than a sword skill.

LANTERN BEARER

Imbue Strike only applies to direct hits. So for spears, that's... couloir and normal attacks? Maybe it could apply to more than just spears?

ARCHER/ ENGINEER (These can apply to either of them, very well)

- Grenade (12 FP, 100% Skill + bonus based on rank. Elementally enchantable, AoE effect.)
- Smoke Bomb (18 FP. Obscures target from view, forcing enemies to pick a new target. Hit penalty to shoot through it.)
- Flame Coating (?? FP. Turns your weapon's damage type to fire for 2 rounds.)

Any more suggestions?
I likey the sidecut/tackle suggestion. Same for Sanguine Star.

I don't agree with Imbue Strike, namely because Lantern Bearers are notable for their Staves < spears in this case? > and Tomes. They thrive on that, and I don't think we should change it to anything but spears. I do, however, believe more spear or general skills that spears can use should be added.

I like Grenade. I love grenade a lot, however.. it feels like it would just be like a trap, except worse. I guess it wouldn't be bad to see where it could go.

Smoke Bomb seems kind of redundant with the first effect, considering NEST from the archer skill tree does that. I could see everyone in the zone getting Blinded until they retreat, or if they plan to shoot through < without a shotgun >, they take the same penalty.

Flamecoating seems uh. Slightly redundant for certain archers. Considering they have flame arrows. Also doesn't make much-sense for guns or the axes that engineers can use since you're still swinging a giant friggin axe at someone, most of the damage will be from the metal rending flesh from bone, not the alchemical burning after effects.