NEUS Projects

Full Version: Plans for Wiki Optimization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is mostly a reminder for myself whenever I decide to actually iron out the SL2 Wiki, but if someone wants to take up some of these points, feel free.
  • Clean up and add missing sections to the Main Page. The Update Log on the Main Page is not only outdated, but unnecessary; it should be removed and replaced with a simple line or two that gives the current version number (and if needed, external links to the forums and/or byond page). Several sections are not listed on the Main Page, forcing the user to use the search bar to find them. For the user's convenience, all overarching categories need to be linked up on the Main Page.

Update outdated, uninformative, overcompensating and/or ignored content. There are many additions to the game (I.e. Skills) that either haven't been added in, or haven't been updated to the current version. There is also content that gives little or unfitting information (the Items List page is guilty of this), especially when said information has a lot of variables (I.e. Weapons). Additionally, the 10 Star Items page goes mostly by uploaded pictures, forcing the user's side to load more data than if everything was mostly in text with equipment icons slapped next to the appropriate names. Each of these issues needs to be appropriately rectified.

Consolidate information into as little pages as possible, and delete unnecessary pages. There are a good chunk of pages that contain information either better suited within a larger page, or contains too little info to actually require a page of its own. The Traits pages are especially guilty of this, not only requiring a page for every single trait, but also linking those pages through several more pages based on the area those traits apply to, when all of that info can be easily placed and organized within a single page. A thorough search of page content is needed, with insufficient pages deleted and their content transferred to relevant pages.

Double-check established page contents. There are pages with content of questionable inclusion. For instance, is it necessary to give a Strength/Weakness breakdown for each class, especially when we are currently in an unrestricted dual-class system? Is it necessary to give the specific terms for Combat Mechanics and Statistics in the Main Page?

Provide needed image content. The Wiki can always use more visual aid, especially for skills/traits/etc. that don't have their icons uploaded.

Provide basic and/or complex formatting as needed. I've seen what this kind of Wiki is capable of. It should not be impossible to optimize how content is formatted. Proper tables are going to be a necessity, as well.

Provide additional clean-up and maintenance as needed. So far, the Wiki has been a mess in both appearance and accessibility. While the pointers above will be able to clean the Wiki up and provide a much more user-friendly experience, it also needs to be checked and given minor updates on a regular basis.
I actually think single pages aren't utilized enough. There should be single pages for traits, skills, and especially items. This way, someone looking up the details of, say, a quest item don't have to sift through a big list of items that only displays its name. Rather than try to condense and delete 'irrelevant' pages I would much prefer, in the case of items/traits/skills, that single pages for them are made and expanded on, including things like where/when the item/trait is useful and so on.

Single pages instead of large lists of objects are fine; just make use of the category function and make a template, like the class skills have, to organize them.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=10900#p10900 Wrote:Neus ยป Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:42 am[/url]"]I actually think single pages aren't utilized enough. There should be single pages for traits, skills, and especially items. This way, someone looking up the details of, say, a quest item don't have to sift through a big list of items that only displays its name. Rather than try to condense and delete 'irrelevant' pages I would much prefer, in the case of items/traits/skills, that single pages for them are made and expanded on, including things like where/when the item/trait is useful and so on.

Single pages instead of large lists of objects are fine; just make use of the category function and make a template, like the class skills have, to organize them.
Depends. For skills and equipment, single pages are optimal. Most traits, however, do not have any individual strategy; at best, you could make a 'which traits to pick' page. I'd also argue that any large list of items will be a table that gives as much information as possible (without spoiling the need for individual pages when relevant).

Otherwise, I kinda see your point. However, the wiki is acting as a database first and foremost; making suggestions/strategies on pages should serve to give the reader an idea, not tell them 'hey this thing is useless/take or die'. Such information would need to handled carefully.