NEUS Projects

Full Version: Lag Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As of recently, SL2 has been experiencing major lag spikes. To the point that the game ceases to function for about 30 seconds at a time. What doesn't cease to function though is click-to-move and anything involving 'talking' (Say, OOC, Emote, etc) for one command. Which then it promptly stops working. Normally, I wouldn't report this, however this has been a common thing for the past few updates, and has only now started to get worse and worse. I'd ask if it were simply 'loading' times for certain dungeons, or something you've implemented, but it's getting a little out of hand as of late.

Can we get any confirmation if this is applying to anyone else (if it's just me), or if there's a function that's stopping practically all game functions for a time.
Normally when this happens to me people tend to post on OOC saying "lag test" or things like that (which still tend to go through, even though just about everything has stopped), so I think it affects everyone on the server when it happens. If it's lag, it's the weirdest lag I've ever seen. And since this is a lag report, I'd like to say that weather effects cripple my client. Walking into sandstorm Law's End or rainy anywhere is either more than my potato can handle (unlikely since a lot of people have the same problem), or problems are afoot.
I'll admit right here. My computer can run Smite, and some older, yet graphically intensive games, on their highest settings. SL2 runs like garbage a lot of the time. If you're in a building or a house, the game runs semi smoothly. Even whilst at the arena (barring training day), it runs well enough. However once you go onto the Overworld, or any area that has the capability of 'weather' the game begins to slow down and run poorly. Whenever SL2 takes up more CPU than other 3D games, there's really kind of an issue. Whether it be with BYOND or otherwise.

So. Probably a look into "Weather" alongside this issue would be a good start to find out why the game slows down a lot. If weather could be disabled for an update or two, just so people can 'check' whether or not the game runs as slow, it'd be wonderful.
Corfirming; the game itself seems to lock up despite the chat still working perfectly; .ping returns low numbers like 0.14, but the game itself just becomes unresponsive for 20+ seconds.
Very strange, let me know if any more details come to light. This might be a BYOND bug.
Just occured once more at 12:36-37 AM on 1/22/16 CST.

More details about stuff you can do. You can still do some normal actions. Like opening Class Menu, inventory, and the like. However, nothing within will load beyond skills you already have at the side. Inventory shows nothing, though.

This seems probably like it might be a loading error somewhere. Maybe houses?
You can actually still interact with NPCs. Getting them to perform an "INN". Even if you didn't have the window up before, it instantly loads up and lets you access it. The lag effect is still going on whenever it does happen, too.
I wonder if this is a shell problem. I don't know the last time it's been rebooted and I don't think I could intentionally recreate these effects even if I wanted to. BYOND typically freezes up entirely when the server program is under heavy load.
Yeah. If BYOND was freezing/lagging, it'd be obvious with entire game freezes. This is the most bizarre thing I've seen so far. It allows for up to one action (talking wise. Maybe sending commands in general). Doesn't allow free movement, but allows for interaction with NPCs. I'm kind of curious as to what happens if one of these lag points strikes with NPCs. If NPCs themselves still work and move around during these episodes, then it might be something with the shell...

Can't exactly give you more information though. Best might be to simply pop by every so often and sit around if you've the time.