NEUS Projects

Full Version: Class Balancing: Archer and Magic Gunner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is the second thread on rebalancing the classes currently in the game. I have discussed these ideas with several people, and these threads are the things we all agreed on. This thread covers Archer.

1. Cripple Arm now only removes access to the subweapon slot on a critical strike. Cripple leg only causes the target to lose Move on a critical strike. The stat subtractions for str/ski and cel apply even if it does not critically strike.

Justification:
Cripple Arm and Cripple Leg are two of the most powerful crowd control abilities in the game. Several people are entirely unable to fight after losing their subweapon (which, you could argue is their fault for relying on it so heavily), and even more people can no longer reach an archer after being struck once with Cripple Leg. To keep these unique effects powerful, we shift the most debilitating effects to be less guaranteed on targets without immense dodge. (Usually, the fighters who can not dodge either cripple attack have high crit evade).

2. Longdraw and Gust Arrows no longer stacks together.

Justification:
Currently, archers can fire at people from over the maximum distance anybody can run in one turn. This could potentially be fine out of context, but with the skills Archers (and Arbalest, since you're using a bow) have, you're stuck in a 16 range game of keep-away with reduced move, traps that slow you, and a blowback cannon / heavy tackle to the face if you manage to actually close the distance. This dials down the max range possible by a small amount.

3. Fortune Wind dodge bonus is capped at Rank * 10 evade.

Justification:
Fortune Wind is by a large margin the strongest potential evade buff in the game. Run on a Redtail or someone who installs, this dodge bonus can creep upward to 70 or 80 evade, making the person essentially untouchable. This change will not effect the vast majority of people, since their luck does not go that high, but it will clip the extremely high power ceiling of the spell.

4. Sonic Shell no longer inflicts hesitation. Instead, its shell effect is "Deal Shell Power * 2 unresistable Sound damage." Furthermore, its overcharge effect changes in two ways: First, the area of effect sound damage is no longer unresistable -- the target's Resistance stat will lower the damage taken. Secondly, the Knockdown effect will only effect the primary target shot. It will not knockdown in an Area.

Justification:
Sonic Shell is the undisputed champion of all bullets in the game. It does the most damage with the best damage type to the most people, and inflicts the three most debilitating statuses imaginable. Simply shooting someone with a rifle forces a target to hesitate 50% of their attacks. Overcharging it silences the target and deals massive damage to all of the people around them, knocking them all down to boot. There is no reason there should be this much power in one shell. This change retains Sonic Shell's valuable damage type, so gunners aren't forced to tickle people to death who bring lightning and ice resistance. Lastly, it keeps Knockdown, which is one of the most potent effects in the game by now. It will undoubtedly still be 'Top Tier' among its buddies. (Rest in peace, Blaze Shell).
Agreed, and maybe the Longdraw/Gust Arrows thing will make someone actually use the other arrows.
Completely agree, particularly about sonic shell, which has shut literally everybody it can hit down for too long now.
I'm down for this.
I have had a problem with Sonic Shell ever since I found out it was a thing, please for the love of god
I'll throw in my support as well. No one likes not being able to fight back.
#1: Cripple Leg already faces adversity from movement skills and Cleanse Body, so there's no reason to make a skill with enough workarounds even worse. I'm not too convinced on making Cripple Arm only half-effective against the very people it's made to work best against.

#2: I don't see anything wrong with this nerf.

#3: As long as it doesn't nerf the damage part, sure.

#4: To be honest, I'd like to see One Overcharge become Main Class and see how it works from there first.
>One overcharge becoming main class.

How about let's not nerf single shot gunners to becoming a joke. Gunners should get options, don't apply it to things that shouldn't.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11741#p11741 Wrote:Rendar ยป Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:10 pm[/url]"]>One overcharge becoming main class.

How about let's not nerf single shot gunners to becoming a joke. Gunners should get options, don't apply it to things that shouldn't.
Then please explain to me how it would become a 'joke' if One Overcharge got the Main Class restriction.
Because then what is the point of using a single shot gun compared to a multi shot gun?

Multi Shot guns would get the same bonus as the single shot, and get to apply their basic effect numerous times. They would also benefit more from thunder drive (or whatever it's name is), to get their bonus shell effect every single turn. They run into a few counters (namely the hard counters in the form of "fuck you gunners&quotWink that are pushing to be nerfed. A single shot gunner would get all the negatives of being a single shot gun, but none of the current benefits that were given to single-shot gunners to make them actually work properly and look decent on paper.
Pages: 1 2 3