NEUS Projects

Full Version: Account Sharing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This has apparently been a rule for a while (not written anywhere to our knowledge, mind you).

[Image: QTsqsdf.png]

As far as I know the justification for this is not being able to tell who did the bad stuff, like say, someone doing a thing against the rules and blaming another person for it. But honestly? You're taking the risk by giving someone else your account.

I've discussed this with other people that play the game and most of them don't want this kind of rule to be a thing, at all. If a player performs some type of abuse with a key, GMs usually just ban that one. Whoever got framed can simply make their case.

But when you share your account with someone and nothing bad happens... what's the problem?
I agree with the idea that sharing accounts might be a bad problem, but I never saw this rule stated, and I think it's a silly rule in the first place.

EDIT:

To note, I think it's silly if only because yeah, some people might use your account for something wrong, but if you trust someone with your account, you put them in that jurisdiction anyway.

Sharing accounts has its pros as well as its cons, but I think that it's not worth making this rule that no one knew about.
OKAY SO. Let's get into why account sharing is bad.

Cons:

Uh. Someone can get on your account and break rules and fake to be you???
That's literally it.

SO. With that out of the way. Let's work on why that con is actually bad.

GMs will ban the offending party anyways (or if something stupid happens, etc. Items stolen WHAT HAVE YOU). So. That's bad. However if you think about it, it's okay-ish. It makes a person learn to trust who they give actual information relating to their personal stuff to. Is it bad? Is it good? Iunno, but in current SL2 it's proven to be nothing but good. No one has abused it yet, as far as I've seen, and ratings are through the ROOF!!!

So, what are the pros of this?

Pros:
People will get other people to grind them without breaking the rules set in place. This can lead to a promoted economy with people grinding other people so that they have a happier, better experience with SL2 ((no shitty grinding because lord knows grinding is the devil)).
This also promotes DEV DOLLARS because people already use asagorians to pay people for these services instead of murai/returning the favor.
Builds a level of trust between people.

OKAY SO. LOOK AT ALL THOS PROS. It actually promotes the economy, player base, and Dev's wallet. It's literally the perfect thing and doesn't actually hurt the game in (almost) any way whatsoever. I'm all for Account Sharing. If someone gets screwed by someone else for doing it (due to the con listed above), then people will shun the person who did it. Shun them for a good long while, never trust them again, and eventually weed out the undesirable players from the game.

So yeah. I'm for this rather stupid rule to be abolished because ??? why was it here in the first place.
If a rule is broken on your account, you pay the consequences.

If you trust someone else enough to let them use your account (example: If I'm too bored to grind and my girlfriend decides to finally get around to checking the game out like she's been meaning to by doing a BDP on one of my accounts so she doesn't need to make her own) and they break the rules, they also suffer by losing your trust.

It's not like account sharing will become rampant. It's just common sense. Rules like this are typically in place to ensure accountability for peoples' actions so they don't try to pin it on someone else, but let's face it, people don't often take accountability for their actions online, so that's literally a pointless rule anywhere you see it. Just make sure it's known that the punishments are based on accounts and not users.
or you know we could make the game not a hassle so you wouldnt be encouraged to have someone else play it for you

this is some korean mmo gold sweatshop business
A valid notion against the rule is also thus-
Where's the line, exactly, between sharing an account and outright being given it? Tbh I know a number of people with other people's accounts, and they could easily be punished by this rule's vague nature, with no fault of their own.
There'd be no fault in any case here anyway, unless rules were broken on someone elses account.
I don't feel that the rule is bad, I feel that the rule is late. If it existed, it should have been written somewhere to begin with. Enforcing this at this point in time may cause huge headaches with the number of accounts that have already been given away due to no prior knowledge. I've got no stake in this either way, but it's probably going to create a mess.
First, all rules need to be clear and such, I'd love to be redirected to wherever thread we have for all the SL2 game's rules. (That isn't wiki, I really mean here, the Forum.)
Now about the said rule, I don't want to sound rude, but eh... (tl;dr, waste of your time, unless if you like being this sado-maso with yourself, Chaos.) Adding the way it is right now (without any automated system to aid), we all know and think, as if 'he who we all know' will want to be 24/7 online in the server like a maniac, peeling after any slightest IP difference in player X's account, stalking after any chances to put on that beautiful yellow text with 'GM' written on OOC and pointing out "Hey ya' not X, you're Y, banhamma time."

Off topics and I could be wrong, but eh, did our lord and savior Dev even agreed to that and made that a 'canon' rule?
I agree with the most people here.
If people trust someone enough to share their account, thats a nice thing as long as it´s not abused to break rules. We all know that grinding can be a pain in the ass(Or RNGsus spitting on you over and over), and some people have more problems with it than others, some people know a few tricks to do it just a tad faster and others don´t have the patience to do it but still want to be viable in the very PVP heavy system we have currently.

It´s not like some game breaking advantage is gained from this or anything. Some people just be able to enjoy the game a tad more.
I agree with Balthie, what concerns me about this is where exactly is the line drawn?

Just to give some scenarios of what I mean to show my concerns:

A) You share the account with another player for RP reasons:

e.g. Say I have a bipolar character, but to make it seem more 'authentic' I have my friend play it from time to time.

B) The account is originally yours but give it away of your own volition:

e.g. Say you have a character that died but you don't want to use the character anymore, so you give it away to your friend who repurposes the character into a new one and changes the password, effectively making it their account/character now.

C) You make an account solely to be used by another player:

e.g. Say I have a friend who doesn't have the free time to make a new character from scratch and see it all the way through, so I agree to help them by starting a fresh character they can play. Then when the grinding is over, they receive the account/character. (This is like Scenario B with the exception that it was never intended to be 'your character' in the first place.)

If any of these particular scenarios aren't acceptable, I'd like to hear the reasoning behind them.

Apart from that, in my opinion, as long as people are smart about this and can accept the potential consequences for sharing their accounts then I don't feel this needs to be a rule. (But if it must be, please put it on the wiki to avoid further confusion.)

P.S.: You shouldn't share your accounts with anyone you can't trust to begin with, so if they misuse that trust, I think part of that fault lies with you and frankly deserve to share that punishment.
Pages: 1 2