NEUS Projects

Full Version: GM-Moderated Ignore Function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I get it. It's roleplay. You can't just completely drown out a noisy person you don't like.

... but what if, every time any roleplay is happening, some punk comes along and starts spouting all their shitty dank memes and it just ruins the roleplay entirely?

I'd like to propose a limited ignore system. Here's how it would work.

- Player A puts player B on ignore.
- This detail is saved to a GM log
- GMs discuss the issue with player A later
- If player A is unable to prove player B was being a turd, via screenshots or whatever, player A is punished for abusing the system.

This would save a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of grief for the players.
... or

if someone is being cancerous in LOOC or otherwise breaking IC, you can report them to a GM

and if they're just being annoying IC'ly, then deal with it...

... in IC??????????????????????
If simply reporting to a GM did anything, this issue would have been resolved a whole year ago.
"Ranylyn" Wrote:... but what if, every time any roleplay is happening, some punk comes along and starts spouting all their shitty dank memes and it just ruins the roleplay entirely?
While I myself hate this very much and would love an ignore function in many of these cases, I'm inclined to be against it.

For one, what qualifies as 'ignore-worthy' will always be subjective. Exactly how far someone needs to go to be considered qualified for ignore will vary from player to player, and odds are, those with less patience are going to be getting themselves in trouble by using it. After enough of these 'cases' where players fail to protect their case entirely due to just how quickly they were ready to ignore, people will be less inclined to use ignore so quickly until using it 'simply isn't worth the hassle' due to the GM attention it draws.

Secondly, some people play goofy characters. Some are good or at least tolerable, most are bad. Even when we consider those who aren't fueling that character on 'shitty dank memes', what goes in each group is, again, subjective. What an ignore function for this kind of thing will do is make people less comfortable being goofy at all, except around characters and players they already know, since the thought of introducing that character to someone else in a completely goofy way would bring up the thought of being ignored. What happens when they hesitate? Well, maybe less shenanigans, but that's breaking character, which most if not all respectable players with goofy characters will be pressured to do a lot, even those playing the minimally goofy ones.

Egil puts it not so kindly but not incorrectly, really. As painful as it is (and I know how painful it can be while role playing certain characters), it's better to just deal with it ICly if it's not causing a serious problem on OOC grounds.

When things are that frustrating, I wouldn't be below OOCly requesting someone to ICly step into it just to better allow the situation to disperse, or even doing so on an alt, as long as there's some IC reason they'd be there. For example, being caught by irritating players while in a discussion between a very humble character and an overly generous character, it's very hard to make an excuse to leave or tell the irritation to buzz off, as it's out of the other two's characters to do so; I would request the entry of a much more irritable and assertive character and use the conflict between the irritation and the newcomer as reason for one of the first two characters to ask the then easy question: "Maybe we should go somewhere else?"

I rambled a lot, but my point is: I fully know where you're coming from, but I don't believe an ignore function is a good, even if potentially effective, solution, due to the potential problems that might arise from it.

...Although, somewhat unrelatedly, if we could get an ignore function that only blocks LOOC and (especially) bracket speech for certain people...
That post wasn't rambly. It was well reasoned. And while I do largely agree with a lot of what you've said, there's definite counterpoints:

1) There's a massive difference between a comedy character and a meme character. A comedy character, while it's entirely subjective if people find it funny or not, is at least trying to be creative and different. A meme character will use an excellion to try to do 420 blunt damage, and when they do, ICly blare airhorns and shriek at everyone to light up and get butthurt when they don't. A meme character will quote memes and references with no regards to the lore of the game or if it even makes sense. It should be plain as day to see whether you're putting a 4th wall breaking memespammer on ignore, versus someone you just find annoying.

Here's just a few stupid examples from various forum threads and my own Gyazo (and I recently got a new computer, so I don't have access to old archives or anything, just recent stuff,) names withheld to not be a fingerpointer. These were all IC with no attempts to omit.

"What's with all the mexican-jumping shaitans?"
"0--0"
"brb training day"
"Nohrian scum." (A reference to Fire Emblem Fates.)
"Lazarus when." (Yes, ICly asking when Lazarus will be added.)
"TWENTY TWO. YOU SON OF A-" (someone took 22 damage and declared it ICly)
(And just about anything posted by you know who.)

2) From decades of experience, asking someone to stop something has one effect: THEY DO IT MORE JUST TO SPITE YOU. For example, my best friend has very sensitive ears and moderately loud noises (even as "quiet" as someone shouting to a friend across the street) cause him physical pain. The second he ever asks anyone to tone it down a bit, they shriek in his ear just to be a spiteful fuck that he's not letting them have their way. This has been demonstrated numerous times in SL2 as well, such as people from neighborhoods where the word "faggot" is rampant being asked to tone it down and saying it more because fuck everyone else, and of course, people being told ICly that they're bothering someone and to please stop, and the eternal insistence that they're well within their rights to piss off whoever they damn well please. Talking it over never does anything. Ever. I've tried.

3) It's very unreasonable to just up and do something else due to someone barging in with memes. For example, a lot of the RP at Pink's Pub is people talking over a meal. Abandoning a meal just because some meming asshat came in and started being stupid is dumb. If anything, it'd make infinitely more sense for this person to be arrested for disturbing the peace (if not banned for griefing roleplay.)

It'd be one thing if the GMs did anything about this. But I've had GMs defend shitmemers to me, I guess maybe they were friends or something. At the very least, give us tools to help mitigate the stupidity.
The reason I don't see Ignore ever being a thing:

Chat of Person 1
-P1 says, "Oh hey, P2."
-P2 says, "Hey P1."
-*P3 approaches*
-P2 says, "No, I'm afraid I don't know how to get there."
-LOOC P1: What did they say? Q_Q

Chat of Person 2
-P1 says, "Oh hey, P2."
-P2 says, "Hey P1."
-*P3 approaches*
-P3 says, "Excuse me, but do either of you know how to get to Dormeho?"

Chat of Person 3
-*P3 approaches*
-P3 says, "Excuse me, but do either of you know how to get to Dormeho?"

Edit: I'm sorry you feel the need to turn off a person being able to communicate with you (whether they're being deliberately malicious with non-serious/borderline-OOC IC Say or you genuinely want them to stop) but instead of making a function that nulls their existence out completely you can always try to talk it out with them and if that fails, request they stop in IC OOC/LOOC, then consult a GM if they refuse to (or God forbid you go to Dev, seriously he's probably too busy trying to juggle umpteen different things at once... seriously though, try getting a GM instead).
I wasn't going to comment on this but your entire reasoning for this idea is because you don't like one player. If you have a problem with Kunai either talk to him or bring it up with an admin like Exxy is saying. "But if complaining to a GM did anything this would've been solved a year ago!" There are more GMs now than there were then. More active and reasonable GMs. Honestly all this is in the first place is filing a complaint on player to a GM anyway.
This sounds like a glorified 'alert GM' function more than anything. In fact, I would perfer a simple 'alert GM' function in the first place.

Seriously, I've actually dealt with one of those lines, thanks to someone actually taking initiative and reporting it. We are available by Skype, by PM, and most recently, a General SL2 Chatroom via Discord. Remember, while GMs are shitter-seeking missiles, you also play an important role in stopping shitfires.
I hope you know what floodgates you're opening, Chaos, since I don't have the newer GMs on Skype yet and the other old ones aren't around. Are you truly prepared to receive a colossal torrent of complaints, or would you rather tell me to get over it? After all, one of the lines posted above was actually by a guard, so....
Fun Fact: The voice that never speaks is never heard.

Although the GMs do a good job, let's be honest. They -will- miss things, it -will- happen. With that said, let them know when people constantly bork IC and I don't mean the person that will stop when asked to. Also try to understand some people don't want to be engaged in a strictly serious environment 24/7. Sometimes you need to blow off some steam (example, how I act like a dofus in OOC and LOOC a lot... and sometimes omitted Says but that's less prevelant now with LOOC - and just to put it on record, I will stop if asked... assuming it bothers you that much).

Ultimately, I still stick by the first thing I addressed in this specific post. Let GMs know if somethings up and they're not aware of it yet and if you can't follow the issue through without intervention (I would suggest at least trying to reach a peaceful resolution before contacting GMs but that's just my personal stance). [strike]But seriously? It's this much a problem overnight that it's flood gate-equivalent or am I just that anti-social? *is shot*[/strike]

Small edits made.
Pages: 1 2