NEUS Projects

Full Version: Huggable Monks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi. I'm going to jump right into it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but why do the scalings on Monk's Terra Strike, Dragon Gale, and Setting Sun are weaker than it's MA offensive basic skills? All three start out with Rank 1: 50% and then jump up to 90% at rank 5.

Compared to its base class which has better scaling (Heaven Kick and Light Tomahawk are 100% at rank 5 and Peddling Wheel is 120%) I think that these skills could use buff especially compared to other autohits in the game.

Thoughts?
Maybe they can be pushed to around 105% scaling at max ranks since they're effects are pretty lackluster in comparison to their FP costs.
For example, 24 FP for Dragon Gale's push back effect? Like, why?
You're referring to the scaling on monk autohits right? I agree most of them are fairly low when compared to stuff like Verglas skills or soldier skills, and while they do get effects for Ki, they should be a little bit stronger because they do need a secondary resource to do their damage.
Well, I think Monk was hit pretty hard by the Great Reckoning in general and could probably use some love in many areas, not just these three Skills.

One of the changes I didn't particularly like was how Setting Sun, Dragon Gale and Terra Strike's elemental damage is now a seperate hit. While it's not much difference for damage, I just preferred it as a solid lump. (Yes, I know Dragon Gale was two hits before anyway, shh.)
I think another one of the issues is that. Being a fast monk just isn't a good idea. Being a fat monk, or slow in pretty much every case, is just flat out better. You force your opponent to approach, or you just sit there buffing. In the case of monk, a fat monk can get to do their ki stuff (at least something worth 6 points), and retain their Golden Glow at the start of next round because of the regen of it.

I'd like to see Monks get buffed, but there's just a lot of glaring flaws with how they're currently designed. I'd like to see passive ki-regen be done away with (unless it's the 3 points only), and them having to take damage, or even heal it via AID to raise their ki levels. Even simply giving them ki-gain upon critical hits (Serpent Strikes hello) would be a neat addition.

I do agree though, why the scalin gotta be shit whenever I can just heaven kick a bitch and maul erryone.
Sounds like a problem with skip. Slow characters should not be able to skip the fast person's skip -- if you're faster, you should choose the turn order, as you have the initiative, the opportunity, and the slow character does not.
I personally think ki needs a bit of a rework
-MAX ki up to 50
-Ki per turn up to 5 from 3 on the passive
-Starting ki per fight= 50% willpower
-Gain ki on dodge and crit ( like fighting games)
-Solar flare cost reduced by 50% or its effect changed to whiting out the opponents entire screen.
-monk offensive scalings being buffed
-Rider effects for offensive monk skills, Kadouka getting light shafts, Settingsun getting burn=50% fire atk, Dragon gale getting lingering damage, ect
They have lower than average scalings because they get a decent chunk of extra damage from Ki, so they are weaker than most MA skills if you don't have Ki, and stronger if you do.
The problem is getting Ki, could there be more ways to gain Ki like through critical strikes with serpent strikes?
"Slydria" Wrote:Well, I think Monk was hit pretty hard by the Great Reckoning in general and could probably use some love in many areas, not just these three Skills.

One of the changes I didn't particularly like was how Setting Sun, Dragon Gale and Terra Strike's elemental damage is now a seperate hit. While it's not much difference for damage, I just preferred it as a solid lump. (Yes, I know Dragon Gale was two hits before anyway, shh.)

Honestly thought this helped with Cobra when it was an issue. Not to mention you have to go through two calculations now so that's two points you can have damage mitigated or resisted.

"Neus" Wrote:They have lower than average scalings because they get a decent chunk of extra damage from Ki, so they are weaker than most MA skills if you don't have Ki, and stronger if you do.

This doesn't make up for the fact they're usually sub-par and extremely more situational in use than even their Base Class. For example, the only one that bears -any- use outside of a extremely convoluted and situational setup line (praying for them not to be past the DR mark for Defense so Setting Sun has use and that they don't have the almighty Spiked Treads) would be Dense Thunder (that still suffers a 10 Ki cost, which was fine when it was done but now it hurts the skill by not have a situational where you can half it's cost anymore).

As a long-played Monk, the only two Offensive Skills that I can say have held their value consistently (for better or worse) would be Terra Strike and Dense Thunder. . . all the rest have fallen to the wayside. This is mainly for their effects, rather than outright damage.

"Lolzytripd" Wrote:I personally think ki needs a bit of a rework
-MAX ki up to 50
-Ki per turn up to 5 from 3 on the passive
-Starting ki per fight= 50% willpower
-Gain ki on dodge and crit ( like fighting games)
-Solar flare cost reduced by 50% or its effect changed to whiting out the opponents entire screen.
-monk offensive scalings being buffed
-Rider effects for offensive monk skills, Kadouka getting light shafts, Settingsun getting burn=50% fire atk, Dragon gale getting lingering damage, ect

Serpent Strikes currently gives more Crit for more Ki currently. If you increase the cap you hear more people whining about crits being a problem. Not that I think Ki allocation is much of a problem currently (other than Aid being fairly crap and a waste of SP unless you're Wil-based, which let's be honest for once: Wil-based things do not really exist anymore unless it's out of FP being a necessity. You could argue it's useful in a minor degree due to re-positioning and the minor HP feed but in the current meta the HP you gain from low-Wil Aid is a mute point and the one-square repositioning isn't hard to counter by the plethora of moves your opponent typically has).

"Esther" Wrote:Sounds like a problem with skip. Slow characters should not be able to skip the fast person's skip -- if you're faster, you should choose the turn order, as you have the initiative, the opportunity, and the slow character does not.

That sounds like a topic for another thread.

"Rendar" Wrote:In the case of monk, a fat monk can get to do their ki stuff (at least something worth 6 points), and retain their Golden Glow at the start of next round because of the regen of it.

I'd like to see Monks get buffed, but there's just a lot of glaring flaws with how they're currently designed. I'd like to see passive ki-regen be done away with (unless it's the 3 points only), and them having to take damage, or even heal it via AID to raise their ki levels. Even simply giving them ki-gain upon critical hits (Serpent Strikes hello) would be a neat addition.

Giving Serpent Strikes Ki-on-Crit seems like it would compound the issue you stated (of them being able to be a "fat" Monk to retain GG through Skip, which would either need them to main-class Monk and to only use 6 Ki worth in that turn - which is a bit of a preventive measure already). Not to mention it'd lock Monks into being crit-only/heavily crit-reliant builds to make any effective use of the semi-dreadful Skills (referring strictly to their Offensive ones) they have.
Pages: 1 2