NEUS Projects

Full Version: Pixel Movement Testing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I will be hosting a testing server over the next few days in order to test out a new movement system, to see how it works in an online environment, what impact it has on the game, to find areas that I forgot to address, etc.

What's pixel movement?
Currently the game uses tile based movement, meaning when you move, you are moving an entire tile. With pixel movement, it's possible to make subtler movements. Note that battle movement is still a full tile; nothing in the battle system will be changing as a result of this.

Why bother?
The main reason, I suppose, is because it is more elegant to do speed adjustments for movement in this fashion. It's possible to just make the game add a longer delay between steps, or make steps 'seem' longer, but you lose some fluidity. If you decide you want to move in a different direction mid-step, you can't do that. Pixel movement allows speed adjustments while maintaining control of motion.

It's not really a big deal in towns, but for overworld movement, I have some things I would like to do that pixel movement would be good for.

What am I looking for exactly?
Mainly, I want you to be looking out for things that don't move correctly in this system. Does something that normally moves fine not really move well? Walking monsters, bargoing NPCs, Shael, and so on.

Known Differences / Issues
  • Party members are now represented by a sword icon above the leader. The reason being that I couldn't find or come up with a good solution for the previous 'trailing party' in a pixel movement environment.
  • Mouse movement does not work on the overworld. I would like to get this working, at some point, but it was giving me issues, and it wasn't important enough to delay a test over.
  • Overworld speed is much slower than you are used to. No more speeding from one shore to the other in two seconds.
  • There is a jammer on the overworld who will wander around and probably chase you if you get too close. He won't actually do anything, but was one part of the future plans that I was messing around with. He should stay on the overworld, follow you when you get close, stop following you when you get far enough away (or if you lead him on too long).

Any discussion can go in this thread. If you find a bug with the new system, please post it in the Beta Bugs forum (not the normal bug report forum). Note that until testing is completed, the game will continue to use tile-based movement, so future updates won't include these changes if they turn out to be unexpectedly unstable.
[Image: 23d98e2655.png]

We're swords. This looks absolutely dumb, please do not make us swords, do anything but please do not let us become swords.

Also Mask of the Nightlord glitches the swords.

Also we can enter and immediately go up in entrances to get ontop of things.

Also when we join parties in battles we spawn ontop of the leader.
I'll be fine with an indicator for 'people in a party' so long as like...

You can double click them and shuffle through the people in the party's desc and shit.
This horribly bugs battles. More information coming, but basically we can phase through each other. Also sometimes we can't and we get caught up on each other. It's a strange thing.

Also one of us can't confirm nor exit the menu. help.
Re: Trailing party, is there anything stopping you from just making a 'queue' of movements made by the party leader, to be mirrored by the members in order like it used to be?
"Rendar" Wrote:I'll be fine with an indicator for 'people in a party' so long as like...

You can double click them and shuffle through the people in the party's desc and shit.

The swords should be getting offset so you can see how many there are in the party. Likewise, you can mouse over each one to see the name or double click them to see descriptions/etc.
I'd prefer the old movement system far farrrrr more than people being swords in parties, people move too fast when not on the world map, and collision with players needs to go(If there is any, im told there is, otherwise omit) , those are my only gripes with the system itself, otherwise it could offer better dynamics when it comes to roleplay, and that's really all there is I can see to benefit from this system.
Well, I messed around with this last night. It was quite janky and didn't feel good.

The movement feels fairly imprecise and sped up in maps. Movement tends to go too far, leading to bumping into walls instead of doors.

Things like chairs are also strange since they have this almost magnetic pull to them, it's kind of a pain to get off them.

Manuevering around monsters is more difficult, monsters seem like they move faster and getting around them is made that more tricky with the pixel movement.

The addition of collision I think is an issue. It's annoying bumping into other players, especially in narrow places you could block off like doors.

I really don't like people turning into swords. The conga line is just so much more appealing where you can see each character individually.

Pixel movement seems to be more fitting on the overworld than in maps but between collision and party members being swords, it's still not ideal.

At the very least, I think maps should keep the old movement.
My input is pretty simple. World Map only.

I sure loved to see some delay implemented there so you can't just run around the world back and forth in two mili-seconds and conquer Sigrogana in 1 hour. With that delayed movement you can simulate a 'travel' better, and the best part is 'no walking around obstacles by cheesing with diagonals'. Even though having Mage's Guild in existence damages the plans behind it. (Maybe add boat travelling, finally?~)

Now as for it out of the world map? It's giving me PTSD of the current Misuterii High's pixel movement, Kamuna ruined the old 'Mitadake High feels' to his/her game by simply adding that to make the game 'oh so fancy high-tech woo-hoo', no wonder why the game is dead. PvP became a crapfest so much he had to add an automated targeting system and fully ruined the legacy you left behind. But this aside, since this is another game.

The worst part is sincerely the ability to moonwalk due to memes, and how Click To Move becomes derpy as hell as your char starts having an attack of epilepsy while walking, and the way two icons mid-way fuse together. Aside the bugs, the many bugs it will bring in the future. Especially when we start talking about BDPs. Fixing those will add even more delays to the game developing plans, and bam, less time for the Neus to add more cool classes with flashy attacks and all.

The swords for a party? It ruins the immersion, and you know why people go for RPG Maker VX Ace games more than RPG Maker XP games due to that.

But if the plans are to make this a solid update for SL2 right now? I sure would sincerely say 'Leave this one for Sigrogana Legends 3, when BYOND stops sucking and becomes a solid platform to code on.', no need to overwork on this, the game has yet a lot have be implented that is more pleasing than something that can end up being just a waste of effort.

Sorry if my words came a little harsh, but it's because I care about the game, yeah. Dev, you don't need to do a 'significant' change for it to be impactful, anything good you add is enough to bring smiles (and salt for the tryhards, we all know nobody is ever satisfied). So one step at a time.

It's all.
An over-world only version for this would actually be a lot neater. Having that, and then the ability to actually purchase mounts from a place to be able to actually move slightly faster, etc would be neat. The janky mechanics of it so far just need to be improved upon, and thats-about-it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4