NEUS Projects

Full Version: Shield Mastery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Shields don't have a lot going for them, they got maybe like 2 skills in soldier and thats really it, to improve upon them (Also Im trying to fit in a talent suggestion for the talent sub-paths being opened up) I'd like to suggest a talent for shields, to give dedicated tank builds a chance in the spotlight, as taking a shield means you're gonna be sacking some of your damage, I don't think a slight nudge in this direction would be too much.

That said, here's what I'll suggest, with reasons as to why:

Shield Mastery - 1.5 Sub Points per rank

Perseverence (5 Ranks)- Increases guarding level by SR* 1 when using a shield and guarding.
Block (5 Ranks) - Increases Armor and Magic Armor by SR* 1 when using a shield, doubled when you are guarding.
Posture (3 Ranks) - Grants a chance equal to SR* 5 that you will ignore knockdown attempts while guarding, while using a shield.

Explainations:

Perseverence: This would be a simple yet effective change, aiding to give more comparable DR when guarding to people using low momentum to do so.

Block: People equipped with shields should inherently just be tankier than people who are not, thats what they should serve as.

Posture: This one is the one that needs the most explaining, it'd be akin to sort of resisting an attempt to break your guard, it'd be a small enough chance to matter, but not one that'd be overbearing, and it'd create some amazing roleplay and reversals in a fight, while keeping it generally focused on tanks.
make shields worth having again...

down with dual wield meta
I really like all of these. Gives more incentive to run a shield beyond just "i need resists aaaaaa." Though I don't have much else to say beyond that.

+1
I think there's not a lot of reason to have both the extra Guard LV when Guarding and the doubled Armor when Guarding perks. I think it'd be better to keep to the Block effect and change Perseverance to something else, such as:

Perserverence (5 Ranks) - Increases Status Resistance by SR * 2% when using a Shield. Doubled when Guarding.
To be honest, Sly's suggestion sounds better here, no use doubling down on damage reduction with something like that.
That could be pretty decent. Incoming Braum! This is pretty necessary because shields do nothing but reduce your damage output sharply, and make you vulnerable for easy vorpal strikes.

Though, maybe a fourth talent that requires Posture, dubbed "Deflect":

Perseverance (5 Ranks) - Increases Status Resistance by SR * 2% when using a Shield. Doubled when Guarding.
Block (5 Ranks) - Increases Armor and Magic Armor by SR* 1 when using a shield, doubled when you are guarding.
Posture (3 Ranks) - Grants a chance equal to SR* 8% that you will ignore knockdown/knockback attempts while guarding, while using a shield.
Deflect (5 Ranks) - You may retaliate 5% * SR of the damage taken to the causer while guarding, at the same chance of Posture.

Just for the 'rule of 4' thing all talents have at the moment.
About 24% chance to reflect 25% of damage. Not sure how I feel about that one. I do like the idea of a shield talent though, so +1
It's fair, though. When you're using a shield, you're giving away the capability of dealing tons of damage with Bloody Palms and Two-Hand, aside a few other OP innates such as Weathered Body.
I'm just posting here to say that introducing an all-encompassing percentage of damage taken reflect -whatsoever- is a terrible idea.

It further promotes building tank-sustain, and offering tanks another avenue with which to deal damage while still being just as tanky will not end well.

Imagine fighting a decked out Priest/Whatever, except now you have to eat a quarter of the damage you deal to them. Unless you're healing as often and as much as they are, that's likely an uphill battle.

Even if it only happens ~sometimes~ the RNG could decide to smite you, and I think we've all had enough of 24% chances for the fight to get thrown into one person's favor or just straight up won. (skullcaver, tarnada)

Otherwise Sly's + the OP's suggestions sound fine enough to me.
I agree 100% with trex on this.
Pages: 1 2