NEUS Projects

Full Version: Natural Skills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm sure that everyone has noticed that every single class around only has skills for combat; non-combat skills are an issue when everyone and their mothers can simply swap around their class to effectively act as a Master of All Trades. Here's a method to get past that:

Natural Skills

In this, a 'Natural Skill' is a special type of skill that would be found in Promotion Classes. These skills grant functions not normally found in the class, non-combat benefits, and what have you. These skills apply their effects regardless of whether the class is equipped or not. They also only have 1 Rank each.

However, in order to get these Natural Skills, you must obtain Natural Skill Points (NSP). Here's how they work:
1. You obtain 1 NSP at Character Levels 20, 40 and 60
2. NSP is universal; if you have 3 NSP, for example, they can be applied to any given promotion class, regardless of their Class Level
3. Once you spend an NSP for a natural skill, that point can't be used anywhere else (I.e. If you have 3 points and spend 2 in Lantern Bearer, you won't get those 2 points in Evoker, Black Knight or any other class)
4. You can reset NSP by using a Fruit of Forgetfulness
5. Your NSP is not reset by Legend Extension, nor do you gain additional NSP from reaching levels 20/40/60 after LEing; you only get them the first time around
I like this idea but if I'm reading it right, this kind of promotes training every single class in the game. Which may not be a good idea as we've learned from a few people.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3401#p3401 Wrote:Grandpa » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:42 pm[/url]"]I like this idea but if I'm reading it right, this kind of promotes training every single class in the game. Which may not be a good idea as we've learned from a few people.

If I am reading this right myself, it sounds like either way you only have 3 of these NSP's to spend universally. And from what Chaos had said, it doesn't matter on the promoted classes level. -Unless- you mean it won't really fix the problem of people not becoming a Jack of all Trades, which thus far is debatable. From an RP standpoint, wonderful idea. However it's hard to say whether this will work, help, be a problem, or somehow the ladder until it's made clear what things these NSP will be spent on within the classes. May be a good idea to have a few up for maybe a few classes in mind to make a clearer analysis.
Oh for some reason I thought it was unlocking them for class levels. My bad. The idea sounds good then, I've no problems at all.
Well, there's also the issue of 'what would a natural skill detail that wouldn't perhaps be better covered by talents' that I've struggled with.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3405#p3405 Wrote:Neus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:42 pm[/url]"]Well, there's also the issue of 'what would a natural skill detail that wouldn't perhaps be better covered by talents' that I've struggled with.

Here's a couple ideas:

Guiding Ward (Lantern Bearer)
While in a Dungeon, you can put up a 'Guiding Ward'. This will drain your FP as you walk, but while the Ward is up, you (and your party) cannot be approached by monsters.

Instant Repair (Engineer)
While outside of combat, you can attempt repairs on any weapon you have either equipped or in your inventory. The success rate is based on your Blacksmith level, and how rare the weapon is.

Tagalong (Grand Summoner)
While outside of combat, you can have one of your Youkai appear and follow you around. Using this will drain your FP as you walk, but if you go into combat with that Youkai out, they will be 'Auto-Summoned', which will not only summon them on the very first turn, but also give them enough Momentum to fully act. (You must have a Summoner class equipped for the Auto Summon to take effect)

Blood to Power (Ghost)
While outside of combat, you may sacrifice a portion of your HP to recover some of your FP. Once used, this skill cannot be reused for a little bit. ('March' cannot recover HP during that time)

Swindle (Magic Gunner)
This skill's effect varies, depending on whether it was used in combat or out of combat:
>In Combat: Applies the 'Swindle' effect to an enemy for 2 rounds. If an enemy with the Swindle effect dies, they give more Mura and are guaranteed to provide an item. (Can only be used once per battle)
>Out of Combat: Can be used on a chest to bypass any locks or traps and get the goods inside. Once used, it cannot be reused for a few minutes.
Little field abilities like this do add a lot of flavor to classes. If you can think of one for each class that isn't too game breaking then I say go for it.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3433#p3433 Wrote:Chaos » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:02 pm[/url]"]
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3405#p3405 Wrote:Neus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:42 pm[/url]"]Well, there's also the issue of 'what would a natural skill detail that wouldn't perhaps be better covered by talents' that I've struggled with.

Here's a couple ideas:

Guiding Ward (Lantern Bearer)
While in a Dungeon, you can put up a 'Guiding Ward'. This will drain your FP as you walk, but while the Ward is up, you (and your party) cannot be approached by monsters.

Instant Repair (Engineer)
While outside of combat, you can attempt repairs on any weapon you have either equipped or in your inventory. The success rate is based on your Blacksmith level, and how rare the weapon is.

Tagalong (Grand Summoner)
While outside of combat, you can have one of your Youkai appear and follow you around. Using this will drain your FP as you walk, but if you go into combat with that Youkai out, they will be 'Auto-Summoned', which will not only summon them on the very first turn, but also give them enough Momentum to fully act. (You must have a Summoner class equipped for the Auto Summon to take effect)

Blood to Power (Ghost)
While outside of combat, you may sacrifice a portion of your HP to recover some of your FP. Once used, this skill cannot be reused for a little bit. ('March' cannot recover HP during that time)

Swindle (Magic Gunner)
This skill's effect varies, depending on whether it was used in combat or out of combat:
>In Combat: Applies the 'Swindle' effect to an enemy for 2 rounds. If an enemy with the Swindle effect dies, they give more Mura and are guaranteed to provide an item. (Can only be used once per battle)
>Out of Combat: Can be used on a chest to bypass any locks or traps and get the goods inside. Once used, it cannot be reused for a few minutes.

I like these, it really makes it interesting. But I was never a fan of Swindle for an MG in my own opinion.

I assume there won't be just one per class? (And if there isn't, maybe change how many you can get, or limit the number of skills the classes get. If that's too much, make it so you can only invest the NSPs in two different promotion classes, and no more than that. Gives it more of a class expertise feel that way if you limit it to 2 classes max.)
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3434#p3434 Wrote:Argonus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:10 pm[/url]"]Little field abilities like this do add a lot of flavor to classes. If you can think of one for each class that isn't too game breaking then I say go for it.
I can easily give each Promotion Class two Natural Skills each. It's a matter of whether Dev will go for the idea for not.

"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3436#p3436 Wrote:Ryu-Kazuki » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:20 pm[/url]"]I like these, it really makes it interesting. But I was never a fan of Swindle for an MG in my own opinion.

I assume there won't be just one per class? (And if there isn't, maybe change how many you can get, or limit the number of skills the classes get. If that's too much, make it so you can only invest the NSPs in two different promotion classes, and no more than that. Gives it more of a class expertise feel that way if you limit it to 2 classes max.)
See the answer to the above quote. Also, the idea is, again, that you can pump NSPs into any Promotion Class' Natural Skills and be able to use them no matter what your class is; the trade-off is that you're stuck with far, far fewer points when compared to skills, so it's a matter of, 'what fits my character the most across the board?'
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3437#p3437 Wrote:Chaos » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:33 pm[/url]"]
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3434#p3434 Wrote:Argonus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:10 pm[/url]"]Little field abilities like this do add a lot of flavor to classes. If you can think of one for each class that isn't too game breaking then I say go for it.
I can easily give each Promotion Class two Natural Skills each. It's a matter of whether Dev will go for the idea for not.

"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3436#p3436 Wrote:Ryu-Kazuki » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:20 pm[/url]"]I like these, it really makes it interesting. But I was never a fan of Swindle for an MG in my own opinion.

See the answer to the above quote. Also, the idea is, again, that you can pump NSPs into any Promotion Class' Natural Skills and be able to use them no matter what your class is; the trade-off is that you're stuck with far, far fewer points when compared to skills, so it's a matter of, 'which traits

I get what you're saying, but I was thinking make a limit of 2 classes so you can at least get more than 3 total NSP without that 'jack-of-all trades' crap. I'm just saying that since, with the potential there could always be more added in the future, and with so very few, you're really limited on choice. (Which is part of the idea, yeah, but.. well you get what I'm saying. Not disagreeing with the idea, but just trying to promote more of a "get more out of staying with these two classes, instead of switching back at forth at will for stuff other than growths".)
Pages: 1 2