NEUS Projects

Full Version: Bamboo Bo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Given that stats are changing soon, I think this would be the perfect time to change the stat layout of this weapon, given its wide use in stat whoring builds since it requires only SKI to hit people with, it might become an immediate problem given the low need of stats for this weapon.

This is fine however, as it was the only outlier weapon anyways, the only melee weapon (that isnt a dagger) nowadays that doesn't scale from STR in some way, we can probably attach a STR scaling to it and call it a day.

Here's what I propose:

-Bamboo-bo's SKI Scaling is reduced to 70%
-Bamboo-bo gains 40% STR Scaling to compensate.

This would have it have the same scaling as before, just now with STR.
I'd rather see something neat like 30% str, 30% cel , 60% skill
Well the point is that it needs a good chunk of STR to it, I'd rather just split it between STR and SKI, currently its total scaling is 110%, its generous to even suggest keeping it at that total scaling.
Rather than totally murdering any value it had can we just make it 90% SKI scaling if it's really that big an issue? Alternative stat weapons are a fun concept to play around with and they allow a lot more creative builds.
And that can be reserved for mutation which allows weapons like guns, daggers and bows to become martial weapons as well at the cost of their enchant, its not a simple matter of alternative stat weapons, regardless of whether your weapon scales 100% STR or 100% SKI, you're going to need SKI to hit anyway with a basic attack build, it quickly devolves into STR not being considered in a build simply because its 'not as worthwhile', STR is canned in favor of other stats such as DEF or RES, or absolutely maxing out SKI or LUC so that no weakness in a build is ever present.

Bamboo-bo has been a bit of a problem since GR, its not groundbreaking or broken, it doesn't deal more damage than any other weapon, but the stat spread allows too much versatility, and would very quickly become an even bigger problem in the future should a spear-based duelist come out, because it is a polearm weapon.

Chopping its scaling to 70/40 keeps it good, it just means you'll need a minor amount of STR to make it as good as before, somewhere around 25-40 STR would be ideal for the new scaling proposed, but it keeps you from being overly versatile as well.

The only other substitute stat I can see for STR would be GUI, and that would be after STR is (maybe) buffed to have HP given per point.
I feel like a 70/40 split is fine, since it's not an extremely oppressive item. It'll still be used, most likely, but not as much. I don't want it to be a repeat of the Mortissimo, where literally every build ran it until it was nerfed, and then it was never seen again.

I also feel like there needs to be a general discussion about the current state of the Strength stat, but that's not for this thread. But, its sheer versatility is a problem that needs to be rectified, but not entirely nerfed to the ground.
Hello! I'd just like to throw in my two cents on the topic, and I'll try to keep it short and thus readable without much pain - so I apologies for any misunderstandings that might incur as a result - though the details can be expanded on if they matter!

Disclaimer: I am an avid user of this weapon, for one character of mine. So yes, my opinion is probably somewhat biased, but I want to stress that I'm making the following points not because I want my build to -stay- good (I can always change it), but because of the reasons I picked that weapon in the first place.

+ FOR: I agree with Spoops, mutations do offer a good chance for versatility at the cost of the weapon's enchant, and you're not necessarily taking a big hit in this regard because a lot of enchants provide marginal benefits barring a few, which are best served on STR-based weapons anyway.

+ FOR: Spoops is also correct insofar as it is a highly versatile weapon that helps the minmax of stat-whoring builds with no disbenefits for doing so. With that said...

+ AGAINST: Alternative take, the problem isn't the Bamboo Bo so much as it is the fact that the in-game stat spread favours very particular builds (which I won't name here - because you all know them already!) which make sparse use of both weaponry and any sort of conventional, realistic combat style... Leaving melee characters who want to roleplay as an actual fighter and not someone who attacks with magic constantly, forced to invest in a stat that grants very few benefits by stark contrast to the others. It doesn't make them non-viable, as the Autohit / Cobra / Reaver meta has proven conclusively, but it does limit your options for creativity and leave you somewhat hamstrung from the outset if you want to compete as, say, a career warrior facing down characters in tuxedos and kimonos with fans, umbrellas and playing cards as their weapons of choice.

( Though, I realize that's not the focus of this thread, I just hope that any readers understand the context of the above. The reasoning behind the use of the weapon, and why I think it's not unbalanced so much as a happy alternative that allows for more diversity. )

+ AGAINST: Spoops is again absolutely correct that this weapon MIGHT become a loftier issue indeed in the future if a 'Dragoon' type duelist class is released, although one suggestion that might curb that... The Bamboo Bo is a stave, not a spear. Perhaps if the class were to focus exclusively on spears and lances, in keeping with the aesthetic and intent behind the class itself?

I apologise for the long-winded nature of this post.

+ COMPROMISE: Some kind of rescaling between 90-95% SKI would be a nice balance, as your damage output would be appropriately stunted in favour of your ability to hit reliably.

( EDIT ) - To expand on that, the difference might seem marginal in the case of basic attacks, however a reduction of 15-20% would have a profound effect on the output of autohits such as Cyclone Spear, Rising Tide, and of course, the 'God Rod' application of this weapon with regards to Light spells.
Jupiter_Storm post_id=34592 time=1546287263 user_id=693 Wrote:Hello! I'd just like to throw in my two cents on the topic, and I'll try to keep it short and thus readable without much pain - so I apologies for any misunderstandings that might incur as a result - though the details can be expanded on if they matter!

Disclaimer: I am an avid user of this weapon, for one character of mine. So yes, my opinion is probably somewhat biased, but I want to stress that I'm making the following points not because I want my build to -stay- good (I can always change it), but because of the reasons I picked that weapon in the first place.

+ FOR: I agree with Spoops, mutations do offer a good chance for versatility at the cost of the weapon's enchant, and you're not necessarily taking a big hit in this regard because a lot of enchants provide marginal benefits barring a few, which are best served on STR-based weapons anyway.

+ FOR: Spoops is also correct insofar as it is a highly versatile weapon that helps the minmax of stat-whoring builds with no disbenefits for doing so. With that said...

+ AGAINST: Alternative take, the problem isn't the Bamboo Bo so much as it is the fact that the in-game stat spread favours very particular builds (which I won't name here - because you all know them already!) which make sparse use of both weaponry and any sort of conventional, realistic combat style... Leaving melee characters who want to roleplay as an actual fighter and not someone who attacks with magic constantly, forced to invest in a stat that grants very few benefits by stark contrast to the others. It doesn't make them non-viable, as the Autohit / Cobra / Reaver meta has proven conclusively, but it does limit your options for creativity and leave you somewhat hamstrung from the outset if you want to compete as, say, a career warrior facing down characters in tuxedos and kimonos with fans, umbrellas and playing cards as their weapons of choice.

( Though, I realize that's not the focus of this thread, I just hope that any readers understand the context of the above. The reasoning behind the use of the weapon, and why I think it's not unbalanced so much as a happy alternative that allows for more diversity. )

+ AGAINST: Spoops is again absolutely correct that this weapon MIGHT become a loftier issue indeed in the future if a 'Dragoon' type duelist class is released, although one suggestion that might curb that... The Bamboo Bo is a stave, not a spear. Perhaps if the class were to focus exclusively on spears and lances, in keeping with the aesthetic and intent behind the class itself?

I apologise for the long-winded nature of this post.

+ COMPROMISE: Some kind of rescaling between 90-95% SKI would be a nice balance, as your damage output would be appropriately stunted in favour of your ability to hit reliably.

( EDIT ) - To expand on that, the difference might seem marginal in the case of basic attacks, however a reduction of 15-20% would have a profound effect on the output of autohits such as Cyclone Spear, Rising Tide, and of course, the 'God Rod' application of this weapon with regards to Light spells.

It's why I argue strength needs some kind of Armor/Dr penetration to break past tanking. It actually benefits the point of Str instead of imo stupid suggestion of str adding to health.