NEUS Projects

Full Version: Quiet Person: Shut Up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As of current, the quiet person trait is really annoying to see in IC. All messages we're not meant to hear are replaced with the "but you cannot hear it message". If we're not supposed to hear it, it would be really nice if we don't get a message telling us that they're saying something we can't hear.

My suggestion is that ranges outside of the range quiet person has do not get that message, and instead don't hear anything. The quiet person trait as it is draws more attention to those characters, which isn't normally good for quiet people, who are meant to be harder to notice.
My only objection to this is the reason I made this (http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5501) thread in the past.

If we alter it to send no message whatsoever you'll have no idea the person is even talking or doing anything unless they use emote or wider range verbs. The purpose of getting that message is to let you know that you could SEE them talk, but you don't know what they said.

As it stands you presently have no way to tell if people are holding entire conversations in whispers if there aren't any emotes made to indicate a conversation is being held in the first place. Though I can see how it may be annoying if suddenly you could see 'whispers something' hundreds of times.

I'd suggest a new trait that lets you see messages like Quiet Person's 'too quiet to hear' and a possible new message for being outside whisper range that lets you see messages for says you were out of range to hear and disabling them by default.
I don't know I think the message is necessary really. You won't know if people are even IC or rping if it showed nothing and on top of that it adds to the roleplay aspect of being shy and a mumbler. Taking that away would drive people to think you're just OOC or something. As Trex said it's hard to even tell if people are holding conversations as it is, taking this away would just further dig that hole. I quite like it.
It draws too much attention to characters who aren't supposed to draw attention, considering they're so quiet. I would much rather the message be removed so it can't be used for people seeking attention on their characters. It would be better to have another speech indicator for quiet people, letting people know they're speaking without making the message too annoying to have repeated over and over when someone talks.
The message could be shortened to "X mumbled something" but at the end of the day it drawing attention is purely down to the way people act. Think about it in real life. If someone mumbled something would you scream at them "HEY I CANT HEAR YOU?!" probably not. But people like to joke about it ingame and react to it in a way that may not seem too realistic but people have fun. Honestly I'd say just adjust the way you RP with quiet people. When I encounter them I have my characters just ignore them unless they were actively trying to speak with that person.
WaifuApple post_id=35417 time=1550444726 user_id=1751 Wrote:It draws too much attention to characters who aren't supposed to draw attention, considering they're so quiet. I would much rather the message be removed so it can't be used for people seeking attention on their characters. It would be better to have another speech indicator for quiet people, letting people know they're speaking without making the message too annoying to have repeated over and over when someone talks.

If you want to be super quiet you can just whisper instead of talking normally for a function like this. It's not really fair to decide if it's annoying or people use it as an attention grabber for their characters as it pertains to a large amount of players who like it. I personally don't see it as an issue and instead as RP flavor and it is a choice after all if you want the trait or not. It hardly affects anything but the chat.
The chat is where all the RP takes place. At the very least, the quiet person murmuring should be smaller in image and font. Still there, but not jumping out as much as regular dialogue, as it should be.
I just want to know why these people keep saying I cant hear them instead of emoting it.
Want to know a few fair suggestions for this that I've observed from other BYOND games?

Quote:Misuterii High's muffled screaming.

When you have the trait 'Loudmouth' and shout from another floor, the message comes all randomly covered for people currently not present on their floor.

Example:
- Red-Haired Girl shouts: "S**ebo*y, h*lp m*!!"
- Sora Rodrigues: "Oh shit, did you hear that, dude?!"
Quote:Space Station 13's quiet noises.

When you're distant from something, or they're not currently in your line of sight. (i.e, behind walls), the font size of the output comes reduced.

Example:
- Sora Rodrigues: "Man, sure is filled with rats around this place."
- Rodent: "SQUEAK!"
- Sora Rodrigues: "...Oof."

---

Overall. The big offender in this case is the display of Face Icons along with the "You can't hear what they're saying." This trait has room for improvement. Added to what I put as example above, you could make the chance be a solid 75% that the message will be blotched or reduced in font size when they're speaking, regardless of the distance.

This can solve the problem, aesthetically, while making it more convenient for the people who are reading on the other side.
Yeah, the ideas Snake proposes are exactly what I think this trait could use.