NEUS Projects

Full Version: Hit rates - Diminishing returns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I feel that in all honesty, hit rates should be changed to some kind of bell curve, scaled, diminished system.

the goal of the system would be that it be simultaneously impossible (without statuses such as blind/fear and soul shot ) to either have a 100% or 0% hit rate.

All hit rates would fall in between those numbers, with a chance to hit or miss always being possible.

The issue itself would be where the peak should be, what should the average point be and how big the negative or positive hit/evade difference would be on the scale.

Personally I feel the neutral hit point where equal investiture of evade and hit should be at 65%, It should be relatively straightforward that against a low cel tank for hit to reach 90%. At the same time an evade build should be able to reliably reduce hit to the 20's and 30's against '40+racial and forget' builds and PVE creatures that aren't supposed to have 'relatively' high hit.
I do not think this kind of system works in SL2. I know a lot of rpgs, where such is a thing. D&D has critical failures/success(5% chance or one out of 20) or another RPG I used to play where 90% was your max hit rate ever unless successful sneak attack. And it works in those games because you can avoid everything completely, In SL2 where we have 90%Autohit skills anyway, it's only going to make basic attack builds weaker. It means the most tanky person also just randomly has the chance to negate a basic attack completely, on top of taking the hits very well already.

On the flip side a low hit chance character has no disadvantage VS a high dodge. He will still deal massive damage with auto hits through evasion, just with the chance to also have a full damage instance in there.

Generally such a system is not a bad thing but I don't think it works well in SL2 combat system without making major changes to it.
Tbh just make a 5% minimum hit chance and 95% chance maximum (or 10/90), that way it's impossible to be totally screwed with a -37% hit chance.
I have to agree with Shujin. Something like this would just make it far better to go autohit build. Missing a basic attack will often screw more than just your damage. A common situation, a duelist moves into range then sidecuts gaining extra M from fleur and uses this extra move to do a bit more damage or position themselves safely. With a capped 95% hit chance they could get screwed and exposed on rng that they can do nothing to effect no matter how much hit they stack.