NEUS Projects

Full Version: Let us rename our characters.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the title says, please let us rename our characters. Right now we can achieve this by asking a GM but I honestly can't see a reason as to why we can't just have this as a feature in game. This would save a lot of time from a GM perspective as they get pestered all the time by us for name changes and I can't really see what abuse can be done with name changes. Names are hidden most of the time by alias and if there was any kind of metagameness which I think would be a extremely rare thing if it happened at all, could be dealt with accordingly by GMs.

So what I propose as to how it would work ingame is simple. An NPC similar to the shady guy who changes alias. This one would have some IC fluff perhaps being a clerk for the empire or whatever, could even just let Air do this. There would be a charge of murai, I'm just gonna throw out 5000 murai as an example. Not too much, but enough so it won't get spammed. You pay the money, you whack and your new name and boom. You could even add this additional functionality to the passport asago item or create a new one for it too.
I have to agree! Having to go to the GMs over things like a misspelled name or a surname change for marriage feels like a waste of GM's time for events and dealing with rulebreakers, and it feels like one of those things that wouldn't be too harsh for abuse if abused at all. There's not a lot you can do by just changing your name, in truth.
I like the idea of it being an IC thing like the shady guy as well since name-changes IRL is something you have to go to the government for. You could also do something like Google does and give it a 90-day cooldown so it cannot be used multiple times in a sitting and it'll make people think twice before changing their name. I'm sure the Empire would look at constant name changes as suspicious activity, so there's an IC reason for the denial too. An addition to the passport would also work just as nicely since it could function the same just without the charge for changing.
I think name changes being necessary to be done under a GM's jurisdiction is fine as it is. I'd rather not make the gap of independence with GMs and Players bigger. Names are mainly used for the Guard Force to identify people, and some more malicious people could use this to make IC a whole lot level of complicated mess. Even if I'm indeed, torn a little.

Perhaps being able to change your name only once per key, like Aisha's Respec works, can be plausible?
Snake post_id=36849 time=1560114949 user_id=310 Wrote:I think name changes being necessary to be done under a GM's jurisdiction is fine as it is. I'd rather not make the gap of independence with GMs and Players bigger. Names are mainly used for the Guard Force to identify people, and some more malicious people could use this to make IC a whole lot level of complicated mess. Even if I'm indeed, torn a little.

Perhaps being able to change your name only once per key, like Aisha's Respec works, can be plausible?

If the guards do indeed need to do see actual names then this raises a new issue. There are people out there who rework an existing character into a new one and never bother to get it renamed as they don't want to hassle the GMs (You can just throw an alias on so it's not a big deal). Then the guards will be incorrectly identifying people. Surely it would be a good idea for people to be able to fixed their names themselves hassle free?

Why would you rather not see the gap increased? This just seems like pointless work for the GMs to be handling personally to me but we would have to get their opinion on that. Clockworkers Doll did raise a good suggestion as far as a restriction could go. Simply limit it's use to X amount of ingame or real life days, to prevent spam. Actually part of the reason I suggested air be the one to change your name is because they give you the passage papers and I know guards use those to identify people.
I think the current renaming system we have is fine as is, since it's easier for a GM to keep track of mechanical renames when people have to ask them for it specifically.
Fern post_id=36851 time=1560120235 user_id=55 Wrote:I think the current renaming system we have is fine as is, since it's easier for a GM to keep track of mechanical renames when people have to ask them for it specifically.

Why is it necessary for to keep track of such a thing though? What abuse can come out of changing your name? And as I pointed our earlier, people already rework characters without getting a name change. If logging mechanical name changes is a big issue a logging system could be added for GM viewing only. This has the benefit of making things easier on the GM side and the player side.
Absolutely not, this would be abused heavily.
I think the Grindy boys at Ephemeral proved exactly how this can be abused.