NEUS Projects

Full Version: Role Idea: Surveyor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Devourer of Souls - 11/07/2019
I have a few more ideas for positions that I haven't ironed out the details for
Things like Water Sourcer

Devourer of Souls - 11/07/2019
Depending on your water source it may affect the health of the town and make the clinic need to treat more patients, etc
And how far away it is from the town determines how much it costs to transport

So while I didn't mind the idea of Water Sourcer, I thought it sounded a little too narrow in scope so I wanted to broaden it with an idea that has a similar role but not only focused on water, Surveyors.

The concept of a Surveyor is that they're someone that goes out to the world map and uncovers points of interest which could be things such as mining spots, groves, water sources, treasure hoards, etc. that can be harvested for resources for both players and towns.

Points of interest are spots found randomly on the world map much like dungeons, however they are invisible and inaccessible until revealed. To reveal them, you would make use of "Surveying Tools", these tools can be used on the world map for a Stamina cost to ping your location, this would either result in "nothing of interest is nearby", "something interesting seems to be toward the [compass direction]" or if close enough, "you discover a hidden [location]!" and reveal the point of interest.

Once a location is revealed, it makes an area of that kind of location on the world map where any player can access it and find materials they can make use of. (e.g. Mines have various ores and stones, Groves have wood and plants, Water Sources also have plants and pure water, Treasure Hoards have treasure chests, etc.)

However, for Surveyors, it has an additional use where they can spend Marks (town currency) to send workers to gather resources from the point of interest. (Mines for Metals, Groves for Wood, Water Sources for Water, Treasure Hoards for Marks, etc.)

Sometimes points of interest can be contested by monsters or bandits, in which they'll need to be cleared out by players (or perhaps also by the militia head role sending militia to clear out the location) before they can utilized by Surveyors.

Additionally, I imagine the chance of finding certain types of locations, how locations look, the kind of monsters that might be found in them and what they're called varies depending on the region, this would be most noticeable for Gold and Lordwain.

(e.g. In Gold, the Water Sources and Groves would instead look like an Oasis but they'd be rarer to find. In Lordwain, points of interest would look icy/snowy. Bandits would pop up in areas more frequently in Gold and Sigrogana, etc.)
[Image: 2e730d8451b9028311f75ed952e346fd.png]
I like this idea myself. I know I ended up expanding upon a town marshal idea in the discord chat that I'll eventually need to bring to suggestions. Though in this way you would have three roles that would rely upon each other to maintain a balanced town stability triangle ( Health leads to Troops, Troops leads to Safety, Safety leads to Herbs, Herbs leads to health).

One thing I could even see coming from this is not just points of interest for these roles, but contests between towns for the resources as well. Which could in turn open up the reputation panel to players further by fighting on one town's side to raise reputation, while lowering the opposing town's reputation.
Sounds like fun. I am not sure what I think of the role system as a whole yet, but making it interactive with the world certainly makes it more interesting. I didn't feel like the Hospital staff is doing much for my immersion at the moment, and might aswell be ignored. Hard to judge it though when its still in the early stages.

I also support anything that actually makes "Pure Water" farmable. It always baffled me how water is one of the hardest things to get by as an Alchemist.