NEUS Projects

Full Version: [Complete] Badlands Arena (2020/08/19)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As a small disclaimer, I have discussed with many people about submitting this and have received positive reception, mostly being encouraged to post this, I made double sure I would not be overstepping anyone, I've been given the OK sign on submitting my work by Sparrow.

The arena is a pretty outdated map at this point, and due to the delayed state of previous reworks to the arena I ended up trying to work on it some time ago as my introduction to the mapping tool. I have gained an immense level of experience just doing this map so all of the work I put into this is not even remotely wasted.(Approx. 18-20 total hours.)

I present here a preview of the map in its entirety, it is pretty much done with the exception of NPCs/Dialogue which I'm not sure on how to implement. But here it is:

[Image: ArenaRevision.PNG]

You might have to open the picture in a new tab to get a better full view of it. First off I want to say that inspiration for the Arena itself's general shape is heavily inspired by Sparrow's map (https://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic....amp;t=7078) as I absolutely love that design for the arena itself, I felt it might have been a bit too wide though as the current arena suits clumps of people gathering and chatting, everyone looking for a fight doesn't want to be outside of hearing range of anyone else after all. With a few touches that I feel make the arena feel more homely and true to its current state, however the outside is nearly entirely different.

I designed the outside bit here to basically match our current arena with more than a few upgrades. There's no inside to arena or to the tent to cause any complications, it is all just 1 simple map with the arena's current purpose in mind.

My intention with this map over any others is that it stays true to the original design of the arena and maintains its current feel, the arena is nothing like Cellsvich, it doesn't have nice stone paths leading into it, its just in the middle of the continent.

Perks of this arena mostly include:
-Updated structure and shape of the actual arena, while maintaining its current size.

-Compact gathering areas that still allow space for those who desire it, most people do want to be clumped in the arena at the moment given that requesting a fight usually requires everyone to hear.

-Maintains the current arena's general and staying true to the original design, while also being given a more modern appearance.

-The upper wall is fully traversable, given the seating prepared It would be most opportune to potentially allow players to PvP in the ring visibly. Creating a unique spectacle unique to any other map currently in the game.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to implement NPCs, if I could be given a tool for that should my request be approved I'll do my best to place them where I'd intended them to be, but for the most part I think I'd be placing them in the same general locations, barring Tarson who might be along the front wall, or up on the inner wall.

My request here is permission to submit and finish the rest of what needs to be done, before this can be implemented if approved.
I like it. It keeps the general feel of the current arena and improves upon it. One nitpick thought I feel the lamppost on the grass looks a bit odd with the tiles under it. I think it'd look better with just grass under it.
Noxid post_id=40097 time=1591820805 user_id=457 Wrote:I like it. It keeps the general feel of the current arena and improves upon it. One nitpick thought I feel the lamppost on the grass looks a bit odd with the tiles under it. I think it'd look better with just grass under it.

Yeah you're right, I've fixed the random stone tiles out in the grassy field. I appreciate any and all feedback. And thank you as that is my intention with this.
It looks great, honestly. Though, I do wonder if the banners make it seem a bit... Imperial. Tarson's his own dude that made the arena where it is because it couldn't be put in Cellsvich, so I'd imagine he wouldn't be keen on putting the banners all over the place. That's not to say I don't understand the design choice, and I'm not going to gripe if it stays in. It's just my immediate thought on it.

The size is another concern just because I have a small screen to work with, but I'd get over it pretty quickly if this was the new map. Either way, it looks great.
Mr.SmileGod post_id=40099 time=1591828465 user_id=143 Wrote:It looks great, honestly. Though, I do wonder if the banners make it seem a bit... Imperial. Tarson's his own dude that made the arena where it is because it couldn't be put in Cellsvich, so I'd imagine he wouldn't be keen on putting the banners all over the place. That's not to say I don't understand the design choice, and I'm not going to gripe if it stays in. It's just my immediate thought on it.

The size is another concern just because I have a small screen to work with, but I'd get over it pretty quickly if this was the new map. Either way, it looks great.

I thought the banners were pretty fitting, though Tarson's just doing his own thing, the Arena itself is watched over quite frequently by guards due to the hotspot its become. I wouldn't be surprised if it were showing rep to its own country, but I will remove the banners if they do not fit, they mostly just make for great outdoor wall decorations.

As for the size, everything is currently the same size, the exact same width as the current arena and the inside itself is only about 1 tile taller.
I question the seats on the top - that area would give me the vibes of a seating area for nobles, which I find to be a very unlikely feature on an arena not in the capital in part due to nobles not wanting it there, at least from what I remember.

Statue of memories is absent, though it's likely an NPC. Still, a more fleshed out area for that would be nice.

Overall though, this is a nice improvement over the current map.
WaifuApple post_id=40109 time=1591894717 user_id=1751 Wrote:I question the seats on the top - that area would give me the vibes of a seating area for nobles, which I find to be a very unlikely feature on an arena not in the capital in part due to nobles not wanting it there, at least from what I remember.

Statue of memories is absent, though it's likely an NPC. Still, a more fleshed out area for that would be nice.

Overall though, this is a nice improvement over the current map.

The Statue of Memories is not an object in the editor. The Dev will have to add that once he has the map.
I thought so.
I wanted a bit more visual distinctness and also don't wanna betray that there might be an interior, so I replaced the door area with something else, ladders are back sorta too.

[Image: KnqPNX8.png]

I figured the Statue of Memories might be an NPC/Object as I didn't have access to it, but you can see its intended location with where the blank stone tile used to be.
Pretty fat. I'd like it if there were a lot more trees though. Forests are love.
Pages: 1 2