NEUS Projects

Full Version: Tile Extension rebalance + additions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tile durations are a little bit too long when you have the appropriate sub-talent maxed out, most end up lasting upwards to 8 rounds which is effectively permanent, its not that this has been overtuned for some time but I do think it does take away from some tile effects such as with cinders in a way that limits their power budget a tiny bit and it is a little ridiculous just how long they last. Because most tiles don't over write eachother, having 8 rounds of tile duration ends up making the battlefield a mess and is only really ever saved by sanctuary really.

On the flipside however some tiles do not have extensions and can be considered pretty weak because of it, such as with flooded water and vines.

I have a few simple suggestions to help rebalance the effect overall while including these 2 powerful tiles in the mix:

-Scorch, Freeze, Air Shaft, Black Sea, Eternity should all have a max Sub-Rank of 3 instead of 5, this would cause most tiles to last 6 rounds instead of 8, which is a little more managable. (a 2x duration buff instead of 2.5x)

-Geomancy obtains a sub-talent which increases Plant Tile duration by Sub-Rank (3 max)

-Aquamancy obtains a sub-talent which increases Flooded Water duration by Sub-Rank (3 max)

-(Optional) Fulgurmancy obtains a sub-talent which increases Smokescreen Tile duration by Sub-Rank (3 max)

Thanks for reading.
If I were going to change this, I would probably take it a little further than that and lower the subrank to 1. Doubling the duration of the effects exclusively through talents with little investment is probably too impactful for what they offer (Ice Sheets being an exception since they expire when stepped on regardless).
I don't mind this much either, I would ideally see tile duration being at 5 generally, that would be a suitable medium as 3 rounds is not enough time sometimes, but I do agree that the tile duration extensions are a bit too impactful at the moment, they're a large bulk of their duration.
5 rounds maximum seems about right, but I'm a boomer and would personally prefer 4 rounds. Back in MUH DAYS we didn't cover the whole world in cinders and what-gives. :older_man:
It will probly die out too quickly especially with some of the classes that aren't duelist. 4 to 5 max seems a lot more reasonable. I normally only put 3 subpoints into tiles and those last long enough for me to make some usage of them.
Ice tiles are already pretty garbage, them not lasting long makes them even more useless as they are. They are not even good with frostbite. Expand ice is the only argument that might speak against it, but thats barely an issue either cause of how expensive it is if you use it solely for tile extension.

Cinder tiles have also been nerfed to the ground, though they are still good but its not the duration that really an issue.

Airshafts...We barely have any sources for them, and I never liked them because there was barely any reliable way to use them.

Now lightshafts/darkwater? those are pretty good.

I don't know, its one these cases of "Hey lets nerf something, and leave all actual problems alone." and make everything even more micromanagement.

Remember when Traps lasted only 2-3 rounds? Remember how no one used them cause you couldn't plan ahead and there was no reasonable way to preassure people with it before they expired? Similar went for tiles they are so ignorable 70% of the time that their lasting has never been an issue outside of cinder tile push/pull builds which have been fixed.

I mean 6 turns is probably fine, but geez it really never has been an issue for half of the tiles. IF you do that sometiles need some extra love.
Like I remember dev mentioning that standing on no allies ice tiles could lower Evade. Sure its another "nerf" for evade, but atleast ice tiles do something then, besides looking pretty, outside of expand ice.

TL;DR:
Look at what tiles are actually an issue instead of giving all tiles the same treatment.
I mean, an idea for Ice tiles that I wouldn't mind is if they expanded every round by themselves, but without duration changes.
I rather just have them useful outside of Expand ice.
Like what, people slipping? Or people taking constant Ice damage like Cinders?
I suppose this is all fair enough, since to be honest I seldom see most kinds of laid down tiles expire before the battle is over, compared to how easy they would be to just lay back down.
Pages: 1 2