NEUS Projects

Full Version: Spirit Mirror. Again.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Spirit Mirror's effect Reflect Projectile should confer some kind of visual indicator on the user that it's there.

Since the advent of Mysterious it became far more potent as everyone susceptible to it now has to spend 1-3m just for mirror-checking everyone with the skill if they don't want to commit suicide, putting themselves at a disadvantage either way.

Even if it was no longer hidden Reflect Projectile would still serve its purpose of soft-countering projectiles, it'd just be far less likely to see blowout victories purely because you put on a mirror while hiding your statuses either through Spell Thief or heavy armor + a helmet.

As it stands there's very little reason not to wear a Spirit Mirror if you suspect your opponent may be susceptible to it when you can completely mask its presence with Mysterious + Plain. On average you stand to gain effectively 6m on your opponent (as they spent 3m to deal 3m's worth of damage to themselves), and in 1v1s this can decide fights. At best it quite literally wins you the fight if the projectile reflected was sufficiently powerful enough. While yes, most people will never throw a projectile of that caliber haphazardly into a potential mirror, the fact a 5* accessory slot can turn that much value is absurd.

I'd think it's not too much to ask that everyone at least knows what to expect when a Spirit Mirror is in play, rather than perpetually need to act in fear of it regardless of whether or not it's actually present. Making it so that it's always visible means it still provides the same benefits, just to the people who actually equip them as opposed to benefiting everyone who hides their status effects.
I've been saying this for a little while but Reflect Projectile should have a visual indicator, some sort of shine on the person's effect, sparkles, anything really. Its such an important factor into a fight, that haphazardly missing it, while mostly user error, is now susceptable to not being user error thanks to the advent of mysterious effects.

It has the potential of being such a momentum sway when you consider charge minded spells, charged projectile weapons or high critical damage guns/throwing daggers.
I'd suggest using the Spirit Mirror's icon, but make it fade in and out like Setting Sun does.
I agree it's one of those things that is just too valuable when hidden. It's really important info for balance
Even better when tools that was used before to check for mirror suddenly isn't a projectile anymore in a patch and you end up nuking yourself after a "successful" check
No, it shouldn't have an indicator. If someone is using an accessory that allows ONE PROJECTILE be reflected, then that in and of itself is the balancing factor.

We can't see badges, we can't see rings, we can TECHNICALLY see helmets because lol mask of metal, so why would this accessory be any different?

Accept the L and move on. You got counterplayed for putting all your eggs into one basket.
(12-29-2021, 10:57 AM)Kazzy Wrote: [ -> ]No, it shouldn't have an indicator. If someone is using an accessory that allows ONE PROJECTILE be reflected, then that in and of itself is the balancing factor.

We can't see badges, we can't see rings, we can TECHNICALLY see helmets because lol mask of metal, so why would this accessory be any different?

Accept the L and move on. You got counterplayed for putting all your eggs into one basket.

The previous counterplay to spirit mirror itself was being able to check the status via clicking onto people, this existed as its counterbalance to being such a strong effect, so that the knowledge that you would need to potentially use another less harmful projectile was there and available. The 'one' projectile being reflected is actually such a huge sway in effectiveness that the accessory is worth it even if someone doesn't want to pop it.

The accessory itself has immense value even if someone doesn't pop it, as just seeing the status already deters them from using huge projectiles like single round gun or bow attacks, throwing daggers or even abilities like Eclair Lacroix/Crescent Rook.

Coming back towards your earlier comment, and guns/bows/throwing daggers; "Putting all your eggs in one basket" is a terrible argument, when literally all of your attacks are considered projectile attacks. Changing Spirit Mirror to be visible won't change that fact either, people will still need ways to pop the spirit mirror so don't worry about that.

The difference between a badge and a spirit mirror is that a badge doesn't usually contribute to making the enemy hit themselves with their own attack lol, and only augments your ability, not a complete damage negation + reflect damage opportunity.

Fast Forward to the time that Mysterious effects become much more common place and you'll find a common theme that people are often hiding their spirit mirror status as a cheap way to abuse just how huge of a difference it is against certain projectiles, by cutting out the previous counterplay to it which is to check the status in the first place, please consider all of these points before blindly stating anything about counterplay.

I will elaborate a bit more on my post from before, adding a visual effect does not actually change Spirit Mirror's balance, and merely removes User Error + Abusive scenarios for its core strength as an accessory slot, the slot still provides the exact same usage as before without the unfair advantage of making your opponent blindly guess if you just so happen to have a spirit mirror.
(12-29-2021, 10:57 AM)Kazzy Wrote: [ -> ]No, it shouldn't have an indicator. If someone is using an accessory that allows ONE PROJECTILE be reflected, then that in and of itself is the balancing factor.

Amber already touched on most of my points, but I will point out that comparing Spirit Mirror to any other accessory is disingenuous, only Circle Ring even comes close in how punishing it is to run into without being aware, and Circle Ring punishes the user for even using it (-9 WIL +9% increased damage taken). Not to mention one of the most prolific users of Ice, Verglas, has a hard counter to it (Winter's Bite).

Spirit Mirror, by sheer merit of its existence, means that anyone who wants to use a projectile against someone with Mysterious or Mask of Metal must use a projectile attack of some kind to test for the presence of Spirit Mirror if they even have the option of doing so. I'm not arguing against the existence of Spirit Mirror, I'm arguing against everyone who uses Mysterious or Mask of Metal benefiting from such status effects existing that now everyone needs to play against them on the assumption that they have this status effect until proven otherwise.

"We can't see badges"
-Yeah you can, its pretty easy to tell when someone has a badge due to effects and battle text, and its not something that will immediately nuke you if you don't notice either way.

"We can't see rings"
-We all know people only use rings to completely counter and render a build useless, knowing or not that someone made you useless due to meta (If anyone says they use those without the purposes of meta-rolling someone they are lying) won't change a single thing, and there is nothing you can do unlike spirit mirror.

So yeah that argument has no foundation besides "git gud", while using a mirror require zero of the get goodenings, especially when projectiles can be changed to not be one anymore and have no indication of such anywhere.
Spirit mirror really doesn't feel so broken that it needs to be bashed into a huge sign saying 'look at my equipment'. It already felt kind of abusive that people could see it was there from the buff list.

The whole point of stuff like mysterious is entirely so things like this can be a surprise. You are sacrificing a good bit for a gamble that half the time - Or more - Doesn't pay off. When my ranger runs into spirit mirror, it never even impacts how things play out.

If it's going to hammered in final destination fox only style, it should also recharge every few turns or something, or get a skill to let you re-apply it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4