NEUS Projects

Full Version: Da SL2 Wiki and Player Contribution to Lore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A spur of the moment thing, really, but I've been editing the wiki by adding certain information to pages and even creating a few, so we don't have all those red links. One thing I've thought about is creating a category for pages that have no other pages linking to it. I'm mainly trying to make it more streamlined, so people can get to certain things easier (more on that probably never).

Getting away from flaunting the things I've done today, there was also one thing I was curious about adding to the wiki: things created by the players! One such thing I wanted to add is the various factions supplied by us and placing them somewhere on the wiki. Now, before talks of favoring certain authors over others, I think it could mainly stay to its own section marked, for lack of a better name, "Fanon". And could probably sit next to "Bestiary" with "Lore". The only inclusion it would have in other pages (ex: if there was a faction that dealt with Oniga, something about it would be added to Oniga's page) would be under a title that said "Fanon", so everyone can rightfully know that it isn't from Devy's pie hole.

Heck, ignoring the fanon stuff for now, "Lore" could probably replace "Bestiary" since I don't see that thing being anywhere near complete anytime soon.

Before I get the "no, this is dumb, you're stupid" from sooooomeone, I'd like to see what every else (who use the forum anyway) thinks about the idea.
I don't think player stuff should be added to the wiki. It's more of an information source to the game's actual lore, and for classes and etc. "Fanon" should be left for in game unless Dev adds it in himself. We do not need this to turn into the SL1 wiki all over again.

Also, I think leaving the bestiary alone is fine, since monster mechanics and lore don't fit together. I've been updating that as I feel the time to sit and study monster skills, or other things. It's fine as its own category and I don't see a reason for it to be removed.
Considering anyone can edit the Wiki, I'd ve very very wary of having fanon on it at all. Keep the wiki as the definitive "DevCanon" as it were.

However, having links to relevant IC forum pages would probably be a good idea. Like, "For more on what's going on in Lispool lately, click here!"
Why should we inject fanon into the game's wiki when there's already an entire section of the forums dedicated to it?

The wiki should be kept strictly on information that either pertains to the game or any official lore, and nothing more.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5681#p5681 Wrote:Chaos ยป Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:30 am[/url]"]Why should we inject fanon into the game's wiki when there's already an entire section of the forums dedicated to it?
My thoughts exactly. It's redundant and it would create clutter in wiki activity.
Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to it normally, but there is an entire section of the forum for it, which should be used instead.
Alright, well it looks like everyone generally agrees on "no" for this type of thing. Which is, by all means, a fine thing to do.
Newbies are already utterly confused by the concept of following some sort of lore. Fanon would just confuse them even more. And would bring up arguments on quality of the fanon blah blah. It'd be a pretty bad idea, in my eyes.