NEUS Projects
A Fishy Suggestion - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: A Fishy Suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=5884)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - ValkyrieSkies - 01-24-2019

Throwing a curveball here but they could also be a Serpentkind species originating from a Leviathan or something to that effect, that way we aren't adding even more to the Kaelensia pool.

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - Autumn - 01-24-2019

I don't mind corrupted all too much, I think its more fitting than any other race category -AND- corrupted hasn't been shown any love when it comes to new races since Papilion I believe, and that was a very very long time ago, its due for a new race at the very least, while every other race category has received one recently, even human.

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - Lonestar - 01-24-2019

When I said 'lack love' it was more towards that Corrupted didn't get anything added to them as a matter of race and less popularity. I'm very well aware that they're really popular (I was one of the people playing one during the event), but I'd say Shaitans and Papilions being literally the most of them, which is also the same way Wyverntouched/Glykins are also highly popular in any sort of way. (More Glykins than WTs, honestly.)

Fish people shouldn't be kept on Serpentkind area because well, they're fish, not serpents. I COULD see some of them being related to Kraken, which was a serpent aquatic god, but he's been dead for ages to the point that it would look weird if his minions suddenly came up out of nowhere after centuries. From a very cold place, such as Lordwain as well.

Them being a Corrupted would give them more in-depth, and also explain better how they were transformed with Iahsus' magical intervention that turned them into what they are, because monster people are usually like that due to being literally children of a certain god/creature, or just transformed through ritual.

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - BazTheBlue - 01-24-2019

Why do they have to be corrupted to explain why they're Aquarian in nature? And a neglect in mechanics doesn't really seem to be mean much to anyone when, as we all say, 3/4 of the recent event space was inhabited by Corrupted.

In terms of creativity, leashing a new race to corrupted guidelines is just limiting in my opinion.

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - HoboJenkins - 01-24-2019

Fair enough I guess. My only real complaint/concern would be if they turned out to be just baseline humans with gills or fins like Sharkboy from Sharkboy and Lavagirl. I suppose if they were made into Corrupted, it would be even more reason to allow a greater diversity as the corruption may not affect them all in the same way. Some may take on traits such as (I'll use this as an example, since he was posted in the other thread) a squid-like creature such as Kit Fisto, some as a lionfish, or a shark like Prince Sidon. And maybe some aren't affected as much and appear more human-like for those who don't want something quite so anthro.

I understand the spritework for making a race with diversity like this could be tricky, but I think just a colorable skin base and a few accessories could make it work. Due to the nature of the character creation system, people can make TONS of designs work that aren't 'technically' supported by in-game sprites. But by recoloring and repositioning a lot can happen with what we already have, it just takes a little creativity.

And yeah, I think it'd be a little silly if a bunch of servants of Kraken popped out of nowhere too. If they were Corrupted, they could all be put into a singular race as opposed to the Kaelensia who are separated into the different mammal species which would be nice.

After some more thought I don't think them being Corrupted would be bad per-say, only if they were shoe-horned into only manifesting as small, hardly noticeable mutations. That'd just be boring.

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - Lonestar - 01-24-2019

BazTheBlue post_id=35071 time=1548362991 user_id=2054 Wrote:Why do they have to be corrupted to explain why they're Aquarian in nature? And a neglect in mechanics doesn't really seem to be mean much to anyone when, as we all say, 3/4 of the recent event space was inhabited by Corrupted.

In terms of creativity, leashing a new race to corrupted guidelines is just limiting in my opinion.

How would you explain their Aquarian nature instead? They took a dip and suddenly have fish features? It doesn't work like that and would just be means to throw a race out of nowhere, suddenly. Unlike Reapers and Apertaurus, they were hinted in the lore for a good while, whenever the Lore tips appeared, but sadly, it's not the case with fish people, as they weren't hinted at all in the current lore. Placing them as a Corrupted is one and the most viable (in my opinion) way of creating a lore of them, without the feel that they just popped out of nowhere. It could be a recent thing, you know?

Keep in mind that being a Corrupted is nowhere near the end of the world, and saying that 3/4 of the event characters there, which I know most of them weren't Corrupted at all is nothing but exaggeration. Hell, Iahsus' mood swings is actually a nice incentive to roleplay, as it provides a mood for your character to act upon it, even if slight, so I don't know much about limiting. If you do have any better ideas however, you're free to place them here, as this is a suggestion thread open for more suggestions.

As for that, Hobo, I think different traits that alter their apparence would be great, kinda similarly to how certain traits alter the debuff from Wyverntouched/Vampire bites, but in a somewhat extreme way. Then again, literally all of the Corrupted have small noticeable mutations, like Shaitans having carapaced hands like Beetles, Papilions being illusion masters, Oracles being legally blind and Umbrals being transparent at night. I'm unsure if Dev would go that far to go towards something more anthro, though. Just my thought.
Also thank you for reminding of my childhood with that movie reference. ;w;7

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - HoboJenkins - 01-25-2019

No problem :lol: ! Even though I used it as a negative example it was a pretty good watch back in the day. As for not knowing if Dev would do it? I don't see why not. It's not -that- Anthro imo. I mean I think that Naga and Apertaurus are just as 'anthro' as what I'm suggesting if not more, since -half- of their body is animal-like whereas with our examples it's just the head in the majority of cases with colored skin. The examples I'm referring to are still very human, having human-like faces and bodies, just more fish-like features on their heads than some others.. which in my opinion would give some nice and interesting visual diversity to the PCs if it was added. Of course, we'll just have to see what's decided when it's implemented. But I really don't buy the argument that it could potentially be too anthromorphic.

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - ValkyrieSkies - 01-25-2019

Aquarian nature can be explained as them having the blessing of some sort of semi-divine Leviathan or maybe even Kraken itself; there's no lack of justifications available. Personally I just don't want to see another species that's effected by Iahsus despite having completely different origins to the other Corrupted; I already think Papillions are a bit of a disconnect from the other three given their origins aren't linked to Iahsus or the dark zones.

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - Noxid - 01-25-2019

I wouldn't worry too much about coming up with a reason as to why they suddenly popped up. It's not required at all. Just because we as players have never seen (or talked about) doesn't mean they have not existed. I do think corrupted could work for them but have no particular attachment to that designation. Whatever dev makes them will fit the lore, regardless of what we think.

Re: A Fishy Suggestion - Lonestar - 01-25-2019

ValkyrieSkies post_id=35080 time=1548414400 user_id=2000 Wrote:Aquarian nature can be explained as them having the blessing of some sort of semi-divine Leviathan or maybe even Kraken itself; there's no lack of justifications available. Personally I just don't want to see another species that's effected by Iahsus despite having completely different origins to the other Corrupted; I already think Papillions are a bit of a disconnect from the other three given their origins aren't linked to Iahsus or the dark zones.

I think just inventing a divine beast out of nowhere feels odd, at best. Do keep in mind that the Deepwoods for Papilions is some sort of anti-Dark Zone, lore-wise. Dark Zones aren't related to Iahsus (or at least wasn't proven), Deepwoods are the same, and Oracles are a mystery as to how they even come with their corruption. Umbrals are the only one who have direct interaction to Iahsus in their corruption due to the Black Eclipse. It doesn't need to be interacting with Iahsus, but it needs to be an explanation as to why a human suddenly turned into that. Hence why Sly's idea for me is my favorite so far.

But yeah, before we go too deep into their lore, I'd like to at least hear Dev's thoughts on this.