NEUS Projects
Silence - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Balance Fu (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Silence (/showthread.php?tid=10129)

Pages: 1 2 3

Silence - MegaBlues - 03-30-2023

Silence completely shuts down multiple classes and, has numerous forms of application which deal regular damage, and has no natural immunity.

Immobilize and Clumsy are much less detrimental to the classes they affect, only affect a subset of damaging skills, is much harder to apply, has a commonly shorter duration, come on skills with cooldowns, and has natural immunity.

I don't understand why silence hasn't been given the same treatment. Skills that inflict it should do so with a reduced duration, likely until next turn, the skills that apply it should have a cooldown, and there should be an immunity period after ending.

RE: Silence - Shujin - 03-30-2023

Which class has currently no way of dealing with Silence and can't act with it?

RE: Silence - sadbot - 03-30-2023

I kinda have the feeling that spells tend to have more power and utility than skills on average, and that's why silence exists as such a large punish to them.

However, silence really should give you some duration of immunity period afterwards. There are far less detrimental effects that have been given the same treatment.

RE: Silence - PantherPrincess - 03-30-2023

(03-30-2023, 03:22 PM)Shujin Wrote: Which class has currently no way of dealing with Silence and can't act with it?

Evoker (Whispering Cant only works for mage base spells and increases their costs by a lot), Rune Mage, Tactician, Magic oriented Ghosts, Hexer can only inflict silence not remove it, Ranger is another, Priest/LB/Aqua cannot remove etacof thus silence will stick.

All in all, currently you are subjected to slotting Heron Feather always as it's become pretty much mandatory for magic builds.

RE: Silence - caliaca - 03-31-2023

(03-30-2023, 08:43 PM)PantherPrincess Wrote:
(03-30-2023, 03:22 PM)Shujin Wrote: Which class has currently no way of dealing with Silence and can't act with it?

Evoker (Whispering Cant only works for mage base spells and increases their costs by a lot), Rune Mage, Tactician, Magic oriented Ghosts, Hexer can only inflict silence not remove it, Ranger is another, Priest/LB/Aqua cannot remove etacof thus silence will stick.

All in all, currently you are subjected to slotting Heron Feather always as it's become pretty much mandatory for magic builds.

On the ranger example, they have a ton of moves and skills that are not affected by it including one of their heals. They're generally hampered worse by Immob. 
Whispering cant allows you to still act with stuff, and I'm not sure counting etacof is really fair in this regard.

RE: Silence - Senna - 03-31-2023

> Silence completely shuts down multiple classes.

Silence is quite limited. There is only one class in the game that has a lengthy silence and that’s Hexer. The other silence options require something or aren’t always worth using due to the numerous amount of anti silence options present.

Everything else either doesn’t care about silence or can operate outside of it.

Anything in curate? Doesn’t care about silence. Mage? Cant whisper; which was so strong it had to catch a nerf. Rangers? Some of its skills aren’t even spells. Spell thief? Literally has a built in cleanse. Summoners? Can operate without spells. Bard? You can still use your dancing skills.

Silence doesn’t completely shut anyone out of anything or render anyone useless.

Most silence in the game has a down period; allowing the victim to do whatever or even race that silence doesn’t stop or items like Heron feathers to just lessen it.

RE: Silence - MegaBlues - 03-31-2023

Clumsy denies less of most classes kits than Silence does, yet it's a rarer effect with inherent immunity. I don't understand the double standard.

RE: Silence - Autumn - 03-31-2023

Silence is an inherently stronger status effect than Immobilize or Clumsy, but both Immobilize and Clumsy cannot be fought against with item slots and their specific counters come from either your item belt or specific skills that cure those conditions.

Silence on the other hand has a plethora of options that were introduced in plenty to help combat the absolute strength of the status that it had back when 3 duration was it's standard, and it was available from far more sources. Understand that Silence was nerfed already.

Heron Feather exists as the 'mandatory inventory slot' for those classes that cannot inwardly deal with silence on their own, those being Rune Magician, Performer, Dark Bard, Grand Summoner, Shapeshifter and the caster variants of Ranger and Tactician.

In it's best cases, silence is just an inconvenience to a good half of the caster set of classes, a momentum trade akin to Knockdown or increased FP costs to certain abilities (which seems fair to me personally)

In it's worst cases, Silence has the capability of ending a fight where it is applied, even though Heron Feather is used to partially avoid these major cases, I think that silence could stand to see immunities in play on an underutilized item, that being the beloved Throatopener, which I believe should grant a 2 round immunity to silence upon curing it,  similarly to Silent Prayer.

Though the OP refers to nerfing silence in a very exaggerated way, I believe the 'peak' of silence's effectiveness justifies some sort of counterbalance to in most part that effect.

RE: Silence - Rendar - 03-31-2023

Bard eats shit if they get silenced.

They have dances, but if you're wanting to play performer? You get silenced you might as well bend over.

RE: Silence - Trexmaster - 03-31-2023

Dancer loses their entire class to immobilize/clumsy.

Most builds suffer in general getting movement locked, hence the natural immunity.

SIlence has been getting kneecapped across the board for awhile now. Very few Silence sources are longer than 2 rounds, meaning if you go first, Heron Feather negates it entirely.