NEUS Projects
Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Balance Fu (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. (/showthread.php?tid=1223)

Pages: 1 2

Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Ranylyn - 05-07-2015

Yeah, yeah, I'm always making new characters to test stuff, bite me.

While I often simply go heavy armor punch happy early on (it seriously works best out of all the options; unlimited durability, and taking less damage while you'd never dodge anyways) I decided to level with a bow this time. No. Not as an Oracle. As a Lispoolian.

Oh. Freaking. Mercala.

Yes. My luck is legendarily bad. But even then, the fact it was physically possible for my bow to break (without taking close range shots) before I'd made enough money to repair the thing... Okay, sure, ranged weapons losing durability on a miss makes sense, I'm not arguing that. But... really? Weapon breaking before I can get 10 mura? It actually makes a lot of sense; 3 hits to kill one jammer, 30 hits to get 10 mura, factor in odds of towering/diamond/etc, and of course misses....

Basically, I'm suggesting a +5% accuracy (Maybe +10%) on some lower tier bows and guns, just to prevent as much early game screwage since they still lose durability on miss.

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Sarinpa1 - 05-07-2015

You have the possibility to earn money without fighting. Just visit a few resource nodes.
As far as I know, minibosses should not appear at extremely low levels.
So I don't really see a reason for this.

Edit : Also as far as I know the mura reward increases as you fight higher level monsters. Therefore the whole necesity to make a few noncombat mura earning runs for someone unable to get through jammer cavern is a matter of two-three runs.

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Mivereous - 05-07-2015

Mini-bosses can appear anywhere. I had one in the tutorial battle, and a few in the Jammer Cave. But yeah, selling from campfires or unlocked chests helps with this.

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Sarinpa1 - 05-07-2015

I was sure that wasn't supposed to happen...hm. But yeah, it doesn't change anything about what I said, really.
You've also the option to..well. You know. RP and ask for dem munnies. Anyone that's willing to be charitable will very likely throw you the needed money, or even ten (hundred) times more. Tweaking weaponry for the rare chance of someone not handling the Jammer cave and not thinking ahead with loot feels very redundant.

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Mivereous - 05-07-2015

Don't we have about 10 lapLaceNET requests that pay you a decent bit, and get you about your first four or five levels without you having to fight anything, as well as a decent amount of non-combat quests (Michelle, Butler/Paint, Farm Girl, etc), also? You can sell those Stabilizers and extra Bread you get in the tutorial, too. And yeah, paying out ten murai for some repairs shouldn't hurt most people, I'd think. We're (mostly) friendly. :3

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Chaos - 05-08-2015

I'd say to increase the very early-game Mura drops. Believe it or not, beginning funds are incredibly harsh on anyone that doesn't know to, say, only get one weapon in the Tutorial in order to make 40 Mura off the Curry request, or hit up certain quest-giving characters. Beginning players should not be forced to either ask for financial help or penny pinch harder than Scrooge. That kind of financial trouble is best suited for the mid-game or later.

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Sarinpa1 - 05-08-2015

And mid-later game financial troubles end up being GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND
I think the mura drops could use tweaking, yes. But so would probably earning mura as a whole. I'll whip up a suggestion later this weekeeeeeeeend
(but yes higher mura drops for low levl scrubs go go)
Also it'd be good to keep in mind that someone doing few battles shouldn't automaticaly be able to full upgrade their weapon and armor. That'd kinda make the upgrades redundant. (Since they only matter early game anyway. And well. PvP )

Edit : On a second thought, what about some sort of a starting capital? Sure, one could argue "but what if noobs make a mistake", which is why I think it could use some sort of a special conversation topic with tha professor, containing text to help even newbies realize how much money they're getting and that they should invest wisely. IF they mess up after that, well. It's time to do quests.

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Chaos - 05-08-2015

"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7142#p7142 Wrote:Sarinpa1 ยป Fri May 08, 2015 8:12 am[/url]"]And mid-later game financial troubles end up being GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND
I think the mura drops could use tweaking, yes. But so would probably earning mura as a whole. I'll whip up a suggestion later this weekeeeeeeeend
(but yes higher mura drops for low levl scrubs go go)
Also it'd be good to keep in mind that someone doing few battles shouldn't automaticaly be able to full upgrade their weapon and armor. That'd kinda make the upgrades redundant. (Since they only matter early game anyway. And well. PvP )

Edit : On a second thought, what about some sort of a starting capital? Sure, one could argue "but what if noobs make a mistake", which is why I think it could use some sort of a special conversation topic with tha professor, containing text to help even newbies realize how much money they're getting and that they should invest wisely. IF they mess up after that, well. It's time to do quests.
Or, as an alternative, just have the Inn/Repair services scale in cost based on level. That way, beginning levels won't have to worry about recovering FP or repairing weapons, but higher levels face a larger mura sink.

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - Ranylyn - 05-08-2015

1) Resource nodes have a very low probability of actually yielding anything at low harvest levels. It's taken me 3 trips to the Iron Mine just to make a simple iron weapon (5 iron.)

2) Selling your stabilizers are a one shot deal. Until you can kill a jammer in two hits, it might not be enough to keep you going. And considering base class growths... that can easily take awhile. (I've made it to 20 with 8 str as a duelist, for example.) And that's not even getting into Inn costs for FP for more magically based characters, who are more limited early on and will be completely dependant on tome attacks for a time, unless they sub summoner (which is basically a must, early on.) It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need the chain shot to get the with hat, but that's life.

3) I do personally know ways to use quests to make money (Example: Selling Stabilizers to buy Curry) but a lot of my testing is done to see how new players would fare in a given situation. For example, the lack of death penalty before level 10 was my suggestion. While I'm not deliberately battling badly, I am trying to gravitate towards what is immediately obvious, and actually finding I can't do it without resorting to the iron mine and quests, which of course would translate to people on ooc whining for help. Make sense? Beginner friendly = less ooc complaints = a less grumpy community.

4) Raising early game mura drops would be great, so long as it's by a low amount (Example, 1 mura per jammer becoming 3 mura per jammer.) While making things a little more accessible is always nice, we don't want to destabilize the economy. Not sure how I feel about giving more mura to start off, though. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Unless it's just enough to cover an inn trip and a repair, or something like that.

5) Inn scaling has been suggested before, and I will ALWAYS oppose it. "Oh, you look strong, it'll cost you more!" That's really kinda bull. Repair costs scaling with the material/rarity is fine (Ex: 9 star carapace is harder to work than 3 star magmic) but not level. It really makes no sense, and only works as a mura sink. And, as any mmo player will tell you, a good money sink is a useful item, since it sets a baseline for the entire economy.

For example, say we had a new 60+ dungeon added with special cores having a higher chance of containing 9 star items, but you needed a specific consuable to run it, like a talisman to resist the energy inside. And say that talisman cost... 15k. For max level players, that's not all that bad, and it really helps rationalize the value of other items (Example: Is this Mayelia really worth 12k when for 15k I can do one of those runs?) That would be a good mura sink. Raising the inn costs for higher levels as a mura sink would just be stupid.

Re: Ranged Weapons - A minor re-look. - MegaBlues - 05-09-2015

Murai should probably get its own topic.