NEUS Projects
[Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy (/showthread.php?tid=1781)

[Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - Ranylyn - 09-20-2015

I had this idea recently, but I decided to ask others for input rather than present it as a fully-completed idea. This way we can get some discussion going on about it and reach what is most widely agreed upon. At any rate, I feel that this idea can only be a good thing, if we get enough input and discussion on how to implment it in a way that people generally accept.

Proposal: Have a system similar to Elemental Augment, in which a class's skills can be altered by having a specific other class equipped.

Reasoning: Main class, sub class, it's all just a set of skills. With very few exceptions in which there's benefits to something being a main class (Monk and LB) the only real synergy between classes is how their skills compliment one another. Oh, this class has no healing, tack this on. Oh, this class is weak to X, sub Y. My proposal is a system in which specific class combos get specific benefits that other combinations of similar classes do not get. These benefits would play strictly to the strengths of both classes, and act as a proper combination of different styles.

Example ideas, based on ideas that sometimes come up.

Evoker/Monk (The ever enigmatic "fist mage&quotWink
- Ryemei gets bonus crit (based on current ki) against a knocked down enemy if Serpent Strikes is equipped.
- After using Shukuchi, movement leaves behind Fire/Ice tiles based on Elemental Augment.
- Unarmored prowess is boosted by Arcane Tattoo's bonus (40% of 20, for a total of 28 extra evasion instead of 20)
- When Charge Mind is active, Fist attacks scale with Will rather than strength.
... etc.

VA/LB (Because let's face it... it's darkest beneath the torch)
- When Eternal Flame's effect is Altera, the affected area also counts as void pollution.
- Backstab works from any direction against a blinded foe
- Fenrir lowers enemy crit evade instead of movement.

BK/Engineer (because why not? Both are somewhat defensive.)
- Bots can be deployed "on" the BK, and if done, move along with them, as if attached to their armor. (They'll be on the tile beside the BK and move together as a cohesive group. Bots are not attached if deployed 2+ squares away)
- Different bots will assist during different chess-themed skills for varying effects. For example, a nearby turret will perform an aimed shot for a target's legs to reduce their movement and evasion after Hanging is used to close in.

Ghost/Hexer (A match made in heaven, in theory)
- A claret called target is automatically statused but becomes unmarkable for 2 turns.
- Gravestone creates an area the size of Black Bubble that affects all within it's radius with the status of the last used spell. For example, if Wretched Oil was used last, ann units within this radius, allies and foes alike, take poison damage. The effect is not applied as a normal status and the effect is removed once the field is exited. The use is to create things like Antimagic zones, or zones one can use their red letter to heal in.
- Payback's chance is affected by the Rising Game percentage boost. For example, a 30% Payback + 5 from being at half health means a 35% boost to status chance instead of 30.

... etc etc.

These are just some rough suggestions, meant to make class combos much more meaningful instead of "Oh, I just subbed this for the passives" and the like. I think that if we could get 3-4 for every single class combo, we could really be onto something to make everything a bit more fluid.

Thoughts on the concept in general? How about ideas for individual changes for specific class combos?

Re: [Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - Chaos - 09-20-2015

While I am in favor of having Elemental Augment applied towards a lot of skills (hopefully with various effects so that it's not a simple copypasta everywhere), changing up skills based on class combinations would be a mess. We only have two promotions per class on average (Soldier has the only 3rd promo at the time of writing), and while it would a bit feasible with these numbers, future classes will increase the number of combinations exponentially.

If it's a matter of validating currently-unfeasible combos, then new skills could potentially help settle that problem instead.

Re: [Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - Ranylyn - 09-22-2015

While I understand what you mean, it's also worth noting that new skills added that aren't of obvious direct benefit to a monoclass tend to be poorly recieved. Elemental Overtime comes to mind; while clearly meant more to encourage more diverse, hybrid styles, possibly alongside Bonder, to say that at least a small handful of people "flipped out" about how "useless" it is miiiiiight be a bit of an understatement.

Re: [Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - Chaos - 09-23-2015

Elemental Overtime is a very specific (and egregious) skill that does not work towards class combos, and a prime example of why Dev needs to get (a lot) more of his ideas double-checked.

Re: [Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - MegaBlues - 09-23-2015

elemental overtime still makes me mad

In any case, I don't like this overall. By forcing certain combinations into a mold, you're actually limiting freedom. Just wait for more promos and skills.

Re: [Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - Sawrock - 09-23-2015

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=9495#p9495 Wrote:MegaBlues » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:46 pm[/url]"]In any case, I don't like this overall. By forcing certain combinations into a mold, you're actually limiting freedom. Just wait for more promos and skills.

I agree with Megablues 100% about this.

Re: [Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - Neus - 09-23-2015

"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=9488#p9488 Wrote:Chaos » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:29 am[/url]"]Elemental Overtime is a very specific (and egregious) skill that does not work towards class combos, and a prime example of why Dev needs to get (a lot) more of his ideas double-checked.

You better check YOURSELF before I wreck YOUR FACE.

Re: [Discussion] Idea: Class Synergy - Ranylyn - 09-23-2015

"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=9509#p9509 Wrote:Neus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:50 pm[/url]"]You better check YOURSELF before I wreck YOUR FACE.

*gets the popcorn*

(Also, I understand where you're coming from, Blues. Want some popcorn?)