NEUS Projects
Class Balancing: Soldier - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Balance Fu (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Class Balancing: Soldier (/showthread.php?tid=2267)

Pages: 1 2

Class Balancing: Soldier - Kameron8 - 01-20-2016

Another thread for rebalancing classes currently in the game. This one has two changes myself and others agreed on, it is for the Soldier class.

1. Madchop damage formula changed to 75% Strength + 75% Weapon Power + a bonus based on Rank. At 1% hp, the damage will be beefed up to 150% of both instead of the current 200%.

Justification:
Madchop in its current iteration is a standard autohit at its worst, and the greatest autohit in the game at its best. Everywhere you look, people are charging, whacking people for 150-200 damage or more, and knocking them away 15 tiles. People have (half-jokingly) said it's a better version of Ether Invitation, just because of the raw damage it puts out. This change doesn't detract from Mad Chop's identity as the OW autohit, but it gives it a better niche. By making it worse than every other soldier autohit at full health, it prevents people from doing nothing BUT charge madchop.

2. Execute's bonus missing health scaling is increased to 50%.

Justification:
Execute has the scaling of a normal autohit before the missing health is taken into account. However, the missing health damage is extraordinarily low. One might glance at 25% health and imagine killing someone at 40% hp, but in reality, that bonus damage is just 15% of their max health. Which, on average, is between 45 and 75 damage before resists and defenses are even taken into account. Considering the prerequisite of someone being knocked down, and the fact that Execute CURES the status, it needs to scale more than a touch harder. It's very difficult to use Execute when you fight in one versus one, because knocking someone down and Executing in the same turn is not easy. (The notable ways of doing so being charge+bash with flatfoot, dense thunder, and crane hop axe kick. Only one of these works outside of melee range.) This change makes using the ability worth using at least once in a while, and grants it more weight that you would expect of a move called Execute.

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Rendar - 01-20-2016

I'd still suggest madchop get its max-knockback ranged nerfed because. Uh. It can still send people flying 15+ squares away. It's basically Old heavy Tackle, except on steroids (and doesn't KD)

I definitely agree with this post tho.

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Ranylyn - 01-20-2016

Basically everything Sderg said.

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Shujin - 01-20-2016

Co-responding with the nerfs of other classes, I would also say that a capped max range would be nice.

But here, also my yes.

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Chaos - 01-21-2016

#1: Nerf CS Madchop's Knockback into half the distance traveled. (Min. 1) The damage nerf, on the other hand, isn't necessary. Especially when just 1m lost will prevent CS Madchop on anyone beyond the catfolk.

#2: Worth a shot.

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Kameron8 - 01-21-2016

"Chaos" Wrote:#1: Nerf CS Madchop's Knockback into half the distance traveled. (Min. 1) The damage nerf, on the other hand, isn't necessary. Especially when just 1m lost will prevent CS Madchop on anyone beyond the catfolk.

#2: Worth a shot.

To respond to this, the damage nerf is the MOST important part. People have no business tossing out 200-300 damage autohits every turn as the clock ticks down in a fight. It's not Ether Invitation, where it's one and done, costs your Last Chance, might miss, and has a requirement of Claret Call. And yet, it often does as much damage as Ether Invitation. There is no 'Unmadchoppable' status applied for the next few turns.

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Neus - 01-24-2016

Well, I lowered Madchop's knockback to half of what it currently is. I don't really agree with the damage scaling nerf. If it's being spammed then perhaps an FP cost increase would be more appropriate.

Execute is fine as it is. It does about as much bonus damage as Face Stomp, a promoted class skill, but can situationally do more or less. It certainly doesn't need to do double bonus damage.

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Autumn - 01-24-2016

Mad chop does more damage than ether invitation, a promoted class skill.

please scale the FP cost or nerf the damage ;;

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Rendar - 01-24-2016

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11810#p11810 Wrote:Neus ยป Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:51 am[/url]"]Well, I lowered Madchop's knockback to half of what it currently is. I don't really agree with the damage scaling nerf. If it's being spammed then perhaps an FP cost increase would be more appropriate.

Execute is fine as it is. It does about as much bonus damage as Face Stomp, a promoted class skill, but can situationally do more or less. It certainly doesn't need to do double bonus damage.

As an FYI.

Madchop's dealing 120+ damage to people with Evasion, Wraithguard, and 60-70 defense. The FP cost doesn't really 'matter', considering the fact that it's murdering people left and right from the sheer damage output it brings. Sure, it's a Full round action to charge-madchop... but that damage is greatly increased. Yes, this is a base class skill. It shouldn't be on comparision to Promo-class skills. The issue here is that Madchop outclasses, and outshines promo class skills simply by existing. Does more than EI (and doesn't destroy your claret call). Doesn't require a hit check. Forces enemies far-the-hell away too. Increasing it's FP cost, unless you plan to make it take a certain % of your FP instead of a flat number, won't really do much.

As for "Execute" doing more damage than Face Stomp. You're funny. That'd require the Target to be 200 HP down and knocked down. Then it gets +50 damage. Most fights? Enemies don't have more than 400-500 HP (unless they're got dang tanky tanks) So, at 'best' it deals +100 damage if the target has 400 HP down... but. Uh. Hate to break it to you but. KnockDown > +100 damage. Especially whenever you can, at that point of low HP, probably kill them anyways.

Re: Class Balancing: Soldier - Neus - 01-24-2016

I adjusted Mad Chop's damage bonus to 0.5% per 1%. We'll see what that does to it.

As for Execute, again, I said it -can- do more damage, not that it -did-, which is true. Plus Execute has a variety of bonuses it can exploit such as its charging strike bonus and elemental augments allowing it to get even more bonus damage or even crit. It doesn't need its baseline increased. Sorry if you disagree.