NEUS Projects
Skill Slots Suggestion - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Skill Slots Suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=286)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - RoboCat - 12-02-2014

Why skill or will though? Does a large barbarian that knows how to smash monster faces in ten different ways really need to be magically attuned to be able to do it? Not at all.

Basing it off of any one or two stats is just not a good idea, for obvious reasons, it also messes with the fight rp.
'I cant use my ghost skills when i need them because I don't feel like it or because I cant use magic well enough to conjure the ability to do them.'

When it comes down to that, there's a problem. everyone has one stat that they want and will get. Along with one that they wont. Basing what you can do in combat on a stat that not everyone will be getting alot of it very pointless and unbalanced to me. The highest stat of the character is literally the best way to even the odds that have been stacked against every character that does not have buckets of will.

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - MegaBlues - 12-02-2014

It's based off of will because magic-based classes need more slots to bypass elemental resistances.

The Skill Slot system is in place to force players to make choices about what skills to equip. You're not supposed to be able to equip everything you want.

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - Grandpa - 12-02-2014

Still doesn't make any sense that mages can equip everything they want. Even to bypass elemental resistances, they shouldn't be able to equip EVERYTHING.

To be honest, I'd be fine with a nerf to skillslots overall. Wil/20 or something. Mages don't need all those skill slots either.

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - Rendar - 12-02-2014

I can equip all of my skills in combat on my lich. 70 base will which gives 7+5+6 skill slots. As an evoker I have rank 1 spells except for magaisendo and sear, which are at 5. I can equip them all, alongside air pressure and famiuga. Charge mind and cracked mirror and I'm barely doing anything with my sub class. Could go LB for main and grab a good portion of spells there, including Alteration which is another element. Putting me at about 6 total that scale off of will too.

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - RoboCat - 12-02-2014

The thing is, mages only really seem that much more powerful because they can do what they want with all the skills that they normally have at their disposal. I am very sure that with the suggested skill slot suggestion, that the game would easily become much more about skill and timing and less about stats if all the classes could actually use a decent amount of the skills that they invested in. Just because mages don't get alot of active passives doesn't mean they should be the only ones who can actively use all of their skills. It's painfully obvious mage bias with the skill slot system, the suggested change would not be bad for anyone, at-all.

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - LadyLightning - 12-02-2014

"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=1462#p1462 Wrote:RoboCat ยป Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:00 am[/url]"]Why skill or will though? Does a large barbarian that knows how to smash monster faces in ten different ways really need to be magically attuned to be able to do it? Not at all.

Basing it off of any one or two stats is just not a good idea, for obvious reasons, it also messes with the fight rp.
'I cant use my ghost skills when i need them because I don't feel like it or because I cant use magic well enough to conjure the ability to do them.'

When it comes down to that, there's a problem. everyone has one stat that they want and will get. Along with one that they wont. Basing what you can do in combat on a stat that not everyone will be getting alot of it very pointless and unbalanced to me. The highest stat of the character is literally the best way to even the odds that have been stacked against every character that does not have buckets of will.

The answer is really very simple: because SKI is a melee stat
that makes sense thematically to increase your number of
skill slots. SKI represents your 'overall weapon-based combat
ability,' which I would imagine includes your knowledge of
different styles and moves.

Basing it on the higher of your WIL or your SKI ensures that
WIL-based characters gain the same amount of skill slots as
they do now, while melee- and gun-based characters, who
usually don't have full WIL, get to use their SKI instead,
which is often much higher.

Suggested formula:
If SKI > WIL,
Slots = (SKI/10) + (LV/10) + 5
else,
Slots = (WIL/10) + (LV/10) + 5

Whether SKI or WIL is used, all characters have a theoretical
cap of 19 skill slots under this system, as all stats cap at 80.

Basically, my problem with your idea is that you seem to
feel like the answer to "mages are powerful" has to be "nerf
mages," when it can just as easily be "buff non-mages." The
latter will make non-mages happier without harming mages'
happiness, while the former will make mages angry and non-
mages vindictively smug.

Power creep can be dealt with by buffing monsters. This has
been Game Balance 101, RoboCat. Please turn in your essay
after class next week.

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - Soapy - 12-02-2014

[Image: INQs6yw.png]

This is why skill slots are based on will.

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - Rendar - 12-02-2014

Yeah but you could fit all of the evoker skills that you want within the like. 11 provided by level 60.

I mean, I use 14 as EVO/GS, and Ryu is about to retort "NOT ALL MAGES" but I don't really care.

I use 14 using .all. of the evoker skills barring invocations and HSDW. This includes Famiuga and Air Pressure, and Blink and Swap Position < And Drain Life and Arcane Relocation iirc >

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - Soapy - 12-03-2014

Awesome.

And then you have a subclass.

Re: Skill Slots Suggestion - Rendar - 12-03-2014

Enjoy offering 5 skill slots, if that, to your sub class. Or if you're a rogue sub class type. even MORE skill slots.