NEUS Projects
what a guard is. - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: what a guard is. (/showthread.php?tid=3402)

what a guard is. - Lolzytripd - 09-08-2016

I don't think people understand what a guard is supposed to be.

The guards are not mini gms, The guards are not a punishement system, The guards are not omnipotent.

Guards are immersion, a realistic fact of life that completes the setting, for civilization to exist a force that keeps law and order must exist.

this is not how they are treated, players whine that the guards are omnipotent ect, guard players whine that players metagame to escape the guard.

How things should be.

1) a npc guard, that exists to re affirm the guards pressence in the world, this force should be present in all civilization but not be beyond the means of a player who ends up against them.

2) a clear understanding of what the player guard are, other players who take the role of guard to facilitate RP with the guard for the enjoyment of the players involved, the player guard also represent the elites of the guard.

3) that the system should be rigged in the way that is fun, not punishing, its more fun if a criminal player has chances to escape or live. Criminals aren't always executed, historically criminals who were strong were forced into the army and served in all prisoner battalions where they fought for their freedom.

I feel this needs to be discussed because every single day arguements start over the guard.

Re: what a guard is. - Chaos - 09-08-2016

1. NPC Guards are very much a fact of life in (most) civilizations. They are the ones that look out for and (attempt to) stop most crimes. This is the area that most players seem to overlook or outright ignore, depending on how you look at it. I've been planning to get the map files and insert NPC Guards to provide visual representation for a while, and currently, I'm waiting on the map of the first area I plan to drop NPC guards in.

2. PC Guards are absolutely necessary. Where NPC Guards fall short, PC Guards can step up to the plate, and provide a deeper level of RP/immersion/however you want to put it. In fact, I consider having only PC Guards, while not always present, a better solution to having only NPC guards. It also seems that people may or may not forget that:

a. A PC Guard's authority is IC and ONLY IC.
b. While a few appropriate liberties are given, and PC Guards can operate outside of NPC Guard range, they are not omnipotent nor omnipresent, and are expected to follow certain limitations.
c. Given that the average PC Guard is much stronger and given more freedom than an NPC Guard, they are considered to be an elite within the Guards.
d. The Empire's Law Enforcement does not follow the exact same procedures as IRL police do, and courts are not necessary when a high-ranking official can just walk up, get all available information, and provide their decision. (Hopefully, there will soon be a lore topic that covers most of what I wrote up about the Sigrogana Guards, which will provide a little more info on this end)

3. This is something that depends on who's looking at it. Is your idea of 'fun' running up and stabbing someone in the face in broad daylight, or some other form of blatant villainy that is likely out of nowhere? If so, you're not going to find the Guards to be 'fun', especially when they manage to bring you in. If all you're doing is rushing right into the Empire's densest areas just to shake things up, odds are that you won't last long, because that's precisely what the Guards are hired and trained to stop.

On the other hand, there are plenty of ways to get around the Guards, and there's even plenty of ways to get out of Fort Arjav. However, a lot of these (mostly the latter) require communication, more than likely with me. Especially if you're planning for an event. If you are passing this part up, I don't know what to tell you. This is not a fully automated system, and I cannot help if I don't know what's going on.

(Ideally, Fort Arjav should be able to provide at least something for incarcerated players to do. However, with the map missing roughly two add-ons, there is only a few crafting stations to occupy the time, alongside whatever they can RP with)

Beyond these, however, I've also found that people just vent their frustrations. As a community, a lot of salt tends to get thrown around, especially when it comes to certain parties. I would not expect whining/arguments from either side to end with just this topic.