NEUS Projects
Melee Fighting - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Melee Fighting (/showthread.php?tid=3403)

Melee Fighting - Rendar - 09-08-2016

In most tabletop games, if you exit from melee with a target without being careful, or them in a position where they can't attack, you take an attack of opportunity. This can generally be a weak thing. Though, sometimes, it can be brutal if they've built for denying you movement if they get in close.

An example of this in an MMO, Wakfu, that deals with tile combat, is that to disengage with a target, you must use an ability that pushes them back, or yourself... or you have to have a higher "DODGE" than their "LOCK" (arbitrary stats, but hold that thought.) Depending on your DODGE to their LOCK, you took penalties outside of the norm. If you were much lower, you lost AP (Momentum), alongside an extra few tiles of movement. If it was sort of lower, you lost a tile of moment. Etc.

I think this system would translate really well into SL2's combat oriented system. Most of the trouble I see in the forums is that "Mobility is too easy! Rada rada, archers are OP!" And, while I feel this is true. This would be a unique way to settle this. It'd stop people from breaking apart from you if you get in close to deny mobility.

Now, what stats would you use?

LOCK could be tied to 3 stats. STR, SKI, and DEF.

DODGE could be tied to 2 stats. CEL and LUC.

Yes, this implies that LOCK will be better than DODGE, but that's the point. It's meant to stop people from disengaging from a fight easily without taking penalties. It's meant to hamper mobility-- and yes. Before you ask. This will also cripple the hell out of you if you try to use movement and walk past a tile that someone is 'threatening'. On the plus side. LOCK is weaker at certain angles.

LOCK is stronger at the front, working at 100% efficiency. This means that disengaging when they're in your face will be hard. However at the sides, it operates at 75% (Could add a chivalry thing to raise this). And at the back, it's even less, operating at 50%. Meaning that flanking a target and the like will be exceptional to getting around their ability to lock a person down.

Teleport Movements, so long as they aren't starting in the square adjacent to the "Locker", will be exempt from these rules. And "Locker"s who are hindered with Hesitation, Charm, and possibly even fear will have lowered Lock, possibly to the point of just not even performing it against the target (in regards to CHARM).

Thoughts?

Re: Melee Fighting - Exxy - 09-09-2016

I think the thread was well-enough intentions and on-paper it looks like it'd be pretty cool to have but I can't see it translating well into SL2 so I have to say no -currently-.

It would ultimately require further adjusting of things when I think we're coming closer to a more "stable" playing field (after a few more adjustments) with a fair amount of existing mechanics to cater to the PvP aspect of the game and still be considered an RP-orientated entity.

Some of the biggest offenders of this suggested mechanic I see off the bat would definitely be Guard, Risposte and Stalemate/Eviter. Black Knights seem to be doing fairly well with the one note they know how to play and I rather not see them strengthen this aspect just yet.