NEUS Projects
Don't account share. - Printable Version

+- NEUS Projects (https://neus-projects.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Sigrogana Legend 2 (OOC) (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://neus-projects.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Don't account share. (/showthread.php?tid=3409)

Don't account share. - Neus - 09-09-2016

Earlier today I was made aware of a situation where someone allegedly logged into another player's account and performed several malicious acts. The perpetrator was said to get the login information for the account from the person who allegedly did these things. Which brings me to today's topic;

DO NOT SHARE YOUR LOGIN CREDENTIALS WITH ANYONE ELSE.

By doing so you not only risk the security of your BYOND and SL2 accounts and characters, but you also run the risk of getting any accounts with the same or similar passwords compromised. If a person with such information gets into your e-mail account, they could find financial information, or e-mails from places you have other accounts (which can then be compromised in turn), or even personal information such as phone numbers or addresses, not just for you, but anyone you have contacted.

Since this is such a serious concern which I've warned against in the past, yet have been ignored about, starting with the next update (1.63), the following rule additions are going into effect:

1) You are not permitted to share your BYOND keys with another person on SL2.
2) Logging into someone else's SL2 account is prohibited.

I will also be adding account flagging if the game suspects your account has been logged into by another person, which I will then investigate. If I find any evidence that suggests you are account sharing during this investigation, you may be temporarily banned, or permanently banned if you are a repeat offender. This also applies to the person logging into the account.

Re: Don't account share. - Ranylyn - 09-09-2016

*raises hand*

Dev, a serious question; many services, such as my bank, email, and Steam all regularly seem to detect my computer as a "new login" from a "new device" despite it being the same device from the same IP. I'm no expert on how this is tracked, but could it potentially cause problems with SL2?

Re: Don't account share. - Exxy - 09-09-2016

"Ranylyn" Wrote:*raises hand*

Dev, a serious question; many services, such as my bank, email, and Steam all regularly seem to detect my computer as a "new login" from a "new device" despite it being the same device from the same IP. I'm no expert on how this is tracked, but could it potentially cause problems with SL2?

From what I gathered myself, it would only flag you for an inspection. The game/program itself wouldn't do anymore than keep a log of who logged into what, when. I would imagine/hope Dev would take things like this into consideration.

As far as responding to the idea of being tracked goes, I kind of want to say it's a potential breach of privacy but it's a bit light compared to the ads that are based off of sites you personally visit on your computer (those kind of scare me). But yeah, ultimately not a fan of this and can think of a lot of other things that should take priority but if it's really an issue then fine. Go for it.

Re: Don't account share. - Oni Princess - 09-09-2016

I am moving soon, so if I get harassed because my IP changes I'm going to be pissed. Because to be blunt, when and where I log in from is none of your business and shall remain my answer to any inquiry's about such. Seems more like an invasion of privacy and an attempt to control things a BYOND game maker has no rights to control. What a person does with their own key is their business, at best this is something for BYOND admins to deal with. Whats next? Rules about not using our SL2 characters in other places, such as Skype?

Our Keys are issued by BYOND, the only ones with any right or authority over what can or can't be done with them is the BYOND staff.

Re: Don't account share. - Skimmy2 - 09-09-2016

"Oni Princess" Wrote:I am moving soon, so if I get harassed because my IP changes I'm going to be pissed. Because to be blunt, when and where I log in from is none of your business and shall remain my answer to any inquiry's about such. Seems more like an invasion of privacy and an attempt to control things a BYOND game maker has no rights to control. What a person does with their own key is their business, at best this is something for BYOND admins to deal with. Whats next? Rules about not using our SL2 characters in other places, such as Skype?

Our Keys are issued by BYOND, the only ones with any right or authority over what can or can't be done with them is the BYOND staff.

You realize that BYOND doesint want you sharing your account password, right?

More importantly if sharing any account passwords are illegal where you live, then you're in violation of the Terms of Service.

Re: Don't account share. - Neus - 09-10-2016

"Oni Princess" Wrote:I am moving soon, so if I get harassed because my IP changes I'm going to be pissed. Because to be blunt, when and where I log in from is none of your business and shall remain my answer to any inquiry's about such. Seems more like an invasion of privacy and an attempt to control things a BYOND game maker has no rights to control. What a person does with their own key is their business, at best this is something for BYOND admins to deal with. Whats next? Rules about not using our SL2 characters in other places, such as Skype?

What a person does with their key is their own business. What a person does with their key on my game, however, is my business.

Re: Don't account share. - Oni Princess - 09-13-2016

Quote:You realize that BYOND doesint want you sharing your account password, right?

BYOND warns you of the dangers of account sharing and tells you they are in no way responsible for what happens if you do, they do not say you can't do it.

Quote:More importantly if sharing any account passwords are illegal where you live

Never even heard of that being a thing Anywhere I know its not here. Sounds batshit crazy though.

Quote:What a person does with their key is their own business. What a person does with their key on my game, however, is my business.

Two people sharing a key in absolutely No way directly effects your game, So really, No its not.

Re: Don't account share. - Neus - 09-13-2016

Yes, it does, for reasons I have detailed in this thread. And sorry, but this isn't a matter up for discussion.

Re: Don't account share. - Neus - 08-22-2017

Let me reiterate this.

Don't account share.
Don't pay other people money to grind your accounts for you.
If I find out you're providing or receiving such services, I will ban you and potentially delete the character(s) associated with the account.