Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice tile precedence and interaction
After a metric fuckload of science, we have determined the following:

When generating ice tiles, any effect that has the 'Freezing' keyword from Kraken enchant or Mercury Badge is automatically given a higher precedence than all other skills.

What this means is these elemental compatibility effects can overwrite tiles. It may be intended for tiles to be able to be overwritten already, but outside of these skills that is not the case. For example, if I cast Famuiga to surround myself in ice tiles, an enemy can not harm me by placing an ice point right next to me and using expanding ice. Additionally, if I cast sear and surround both my opponent and I in sear tiles, him countercasting sear will not cause me to take damage next turn. He will still burn the next turn.

However, these Freezing-prefix elemental compatibility skills change the above rule on how tiles interact with one another. If I surround myself in ice tiles with Famuiga, like before, and am Freezing Heaven Kicked or Freezing Crystal Rose'd, the enemy can absolutely hurt me with expanding ice. In fact, I can no longer cast expanding ice if all of my tiles were consumed by these effects. If I try to re-overwrite the tiles with a spell, or ice point, it will fail. The ice tiles will remain theirs. However, if another Freezing-prefix'd skill is used, I CAN overwrite it. The ownership is not shifted, the entire tile is overwritten -- this is proven by the fact that any tiles replaced by a Freezing-prefix skill will adopt the lifespan/duration of that skill, not the duration of the spell that originally brought the ice tiles into existence. If ice point lasts for 5 rounds, freezing crystal rose will replace all of those tiles and remove them in 2 rounds.

Worth noting, blazing crystal rose will exist at the same time as sear tiles created by the Evoker spell Sear. Both players will take damage at the start of the round. My guess on the matter is that they don't qualify as the same tile, even though they look identical.
I believe it overwrites effect tiles if they have a higher level, which is probably what's happening here.

Should it change? Maybe? There might be similar interactions between cinder tiles/etc.
"Neus" Wrote:I believe it overwrites effect tiles if they have a higher level, which is probably what's happening here.

Should it change? Maybe? There might be similar interactions between cinder tiles/etc.

It should either always overwrite or never overwrite -- trying to establish tile dominance with a skill's level which may or may not equate to the ice tile's level makes life harder on everyone. Unless ice skills from swordsmen are inherently supposed to be more powerful than ice spells cast by mages, I'd heavily support changing it.
Bumping this, mage spells will still not overwrite, compared to their badge-based alternatives. I can bring this to Balance Fu if you think it's more appropriate, but it'd be nice to see if you landed on a stance on this since then.