Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dark Imbuen't
Dark imbue is getting quite outdated, especially since the changes to bonus damage. As it stands now, dark imbue is nothing more than a desperation move to scrounge up a little more hit for a painfully short duration, at the risk of losing momentum if the regularly resisted element in dark is resisted. The main two issues are:
  • The additional dark damage is not bonus damage and triggers resist momentum loss despite doing less damage, even with maximum investment, than many other sources that are considered bonus damage.
  • A three round duration. Very short for something as passive and basic as a hit buff and a small amount of extra damage.
I suggest simply that the dark damage be considered bonus damage, and the duration be increased from three rounds to four or five. There is also the option of expanding its use to some other weapons to make it a bit more usable, and just increasing the duration for axes to maintain its identity in the class.
Making it a enchant-based skill so the talent affects it is a good fix.

Another cool thing it could have is each successful hit of the Imbue reducing the enemy's Darkness Resist by 5% up to a max of LV (Rank * 5).
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I don't think making it an enchant is appropriate, as it's mechanically nothing like the other enchantments. The extra 5 rounds onto duration that would give it also seems a bit overkill. An on hit dark resist reduction could be interesting, but it would definitely need to cap at more like 10-15%, certainly not 25% so it can trigger weak by itself.
I think this skill could probably just stand having enchantment apply at half effectiveness (+2 rounds) and having it be able to apply to Swords/Spears in addition to Axes as it does already, rounding it out in any duelist's kit, regardless on if they're a firebird, kensei, or another martial class.
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Jeff, Snake
(11-25-2021, 06:02 PM)Autumn Wrote: I think this skill could probably just stand having enchantment apply at half effectiveness (+2 rounds) and having it be able to apply to Swords/Spears in addition to Axes as it does already, rounding it out in any duelist's kit, regardless on if they're a firebird, kensei, or another martial class.

If not Spears and Axes alone, it'd be a great addition while not breaking the skill's lore of "Extends a blade from the pole" deal. That and we even have a 'scythe'-esque polearm named Sleigher that I have been so eager to use, but sadly had no chance to do so for it does not mutate into axe, nor is supported by Ghost at all.

In which in this case I don't think it'd be so harmful to leave at full enchanting talent effectiveness, especially when that takes a few talent sub-points on top of 5 skill points from the Ghost class itself.

sadbot Wrote:I don't think making it an enchant is appropriate, as it's mechanically nothing like the other enchantments. The extra 5 rounds onto duration that would give it also seems a bit overkill. An on hit dark resist reduction could be interesting, but it would definitely need to cap at more like 10-15%, certainly not 25% so it can trigger weak by itself.

I'd also say 25% is fine, solely because Aptitude + Black Beast Stamp gives just enough for that to not proc Weak!, on top of Carapace being the best Heavy Armor material, and most of the races having some sort of Darkness resistance natural of them, so it'll be fine. Best start big and if it becomes a problem, reduce it later.

We're talking about a skill that never sees the light of day for being plain bad, when compared to stuff like Ether Invitation, or Reaper Scythe.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]