Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curse Redux
I made a thread a long while back about curses and how they really miss the mark in the way they're described.

Powerful modifications to your weapon that come with an equally powerful downside.

Currently, nothing really conveys this theme other than debatably Rustic.

It's of my opinion that curses should have effects that are -better- than what we currently consider to be the best enchants, but with hefty downsides. The point of the curses is that they're supposed to be extraordinarily strong, thus, making them equal in power level to what you can get otherwise defeats the purpose of them. Why get something equal in power level with a downside versus the alternative that comes with no downside?

My first suggestion is for "Fleeting"

I think the weapon in question should receive an increase by 5-10 in all parameters instead, but you're put on a timer. Every round, the boost for those parameters would decrease by 1 (2 in the case of a boost of 10). This debuff would continue even when your weapon's parameters return to their base level, meaning your weapon will then become weaker and weaker, resetting at the end of the battle. 

I think this conveys the aspect of a fleeting weapon, it's powerful, but only for a moment. There's an inevitable end to that power that quickly approaches.

Moving on to "Parasitic"

Every basic attack or skill using the weapon would siphon 10-20% of your max FP in order to increase the damage of said attack by 10-20%. If you use a skill/basic with the attack without being able to afford the FP for it, it then starts to consume 10% of your max HP per action.

This one is self explanatory--the weapon is a parasite. It leeches your focus in exchange for a large boost in damage, but if you're not able to maintain your FP then it'll start killing you. I actually think that 20% would probably be better, as smaller increments of leeching give the user more time to cheese the downside with FP regenerating tools or blue potions. It would also mean when you run out of FP, you're losing 1/5 of your health by using the weapon, making it even deadlier.

Lastly "Demonic"

The weapon would deal bonus Hellfire magic damage on basic attack equal to your LV, but it also deals that same value to you. 

Another straight forward one. A potential 60 extra hellfire damage each attack sounds massive, but you're also eating that same amount each time you use the weapon, and it only works on the weapon's basics. You'll either need serious sustain to manage it or be confident enough you can kill whatever you're trying to kill before it kills you.

Of course I may have missed the mark on these, whether it be the ideas themselves or the numbers involved with them. As for the other curses, I think they probably fill their niche well enough. Haunted Soul has its uses still, the same goes for Rustic and Blood-drenched.
[-] The following 3 users Like Perdition's post:
  • Autumn, Fern, Tanasinn

Messages In This Thread
Curse Redux - by Perdition - 12-20-2020, 02:56 AM
RE: Curse Redux - by Autumn - 12-20-2020, 04:36 AM
RE: Curse Redux - by Perdition - 12-20-2020, 03:36 PM
RE: Curse Redux - by Sawrock - 12-20-2020, 04:30 PM
RE: Curse Redux - by Perdition - 12-20-2020, 07:23 PM
RE: Curse Redux - by Sawrock - 12-20-2020, 08:44 PM
RE: Curse Redux - by Shujin - 12-21-2020, 07:18 AM
RE: Curse Redux - by Perdition - 12-21-2020, 03:35 PM
RE: Curse Redux - by Snake - 12-22-2020, 04:57 PM