Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Characters of a greater fortune
I don't really like the idea of applying for increased levels. You can already get the help of EMs to give you a power boost for narrative moments. I don't want level 65-70 characters running around, for any reason, because

What's the point?
Unless you plan to fight multiple people at once, I don't what someone would gain from being stronger than normal. This would just mean you get to beat people in 1v1s more easily, or maybe if you do a team battle, you get to be visibly stronger there as well. But like... That would kinda suck. Why would I want to fight a guy who's stronger than I will ever be? Mechanically that would just be boring, unless you're looking for a challenge and you're a sweaty pvper like myself, but in that case you run into the issue of like... Okay, what if the powerful character still loses to someone with a better build? Defeats the whole point.

No, no. Characters who are narratively stronger should only be stronger when it comes to narrative moments. Otherwise it only becomes a battle of numbers and I don't feel like giving a character a bunch of extra levels is going to feel good for anyone except maybe the guy who gets to be stronger than everybody...?

Also, look at the average character in sl2. You got countless people who are roleplayed to be super strong. Insanely strong. Every day you see behemoth slayers, legendary heroes, etc. There's no way the application thing wouldn't be flooded with a large amount of characters who would technically have narrative reasons to be strong.

So really I'm just saying, we already can accomplish the thing you want. I'm not sure if what you're saying is that we should have event characters be allowed to just participate in rp normally, because that's also kind of a slippery slope. What if an event character starts to get involved in other stories? In another event? Gets a role in a nation? The important part of having them exist and rp is already allowed. I guess I could do that more.

But reading this post I don't really get it. It mostly sounds like you wanna be able to beat people in pvp without making a top-tier build. Which I feel is more of a concern with game balance. And PvP isn't the end all be all either. Most important things don't resolve through pvp, and the ones that do, usually have a decided outcome anyway. I've done a shitload of pvp in my time as a bad guy. The only thing the outcome of a pvp match determines is how much longer I get to play this character. So I make strong builds, though I always try to keep it varied. There's a lot of things that are viable, you definitely don't need to be playing a specific thing to be able to do well. Because guess what, most people don't have incredible builds, so you can just build whatever and beat a lot of people. Then you run into sweaty people and probably lose, or maybe not. Or more commonly, you get simply outnumbered and lose/die. What's this for? Are you saying we need to give extra levels to people who want to play a low tier class and still wanna be "narratively strong"? (Everyone is narratively strong bro it came with your RPG)

And yes you always have the option of simply not engaging in pvp if you don't like this dynamic, like Trex is saying. It's a shame but also like, if Trex wanted to have their character in an event, I'd be down to buff the mystic. I'd give them +500 light atk or something. In a narratively important moment. Because mechanics is mechanics, and just because you're an elf healer doesn't mean you're better than the Mystic. I like to hope the players understand the separation. That's how it should be in my eyes.
[-] The following 5 users Like Poruku's post:
  • Blissey, Imotepchief, MegaBlues, Miller, sirtrex

Messages In This Thread
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by Ray2064 - 04-18-2024, 06:33 PM
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by Shujin - 04-19-2024, 12:11 AM
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by Poruku - 04-19-2024, 12:41 AM
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by Cogster - 04-19-2024, 03:15 AM
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by Ham - 04-19-2024, 07:24 AM
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by caliaca - 04-19-2024, 09:56 AM
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by Ray2064 - 04-19-2024, 12:55 PM
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by Miller - 04-19-2024, 10:05 AM
RE: Characters of a greater fortune - by Poruku - 04-19-2024, 02:53 PM