Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ability to put a Style Seed on your weapon to replace your attack animation effect
I'm not a fan of debug mode letting you literally see the enemy's stats in general. Its pretty grimy. You get to see their defense, resistance, evasion, hit rate. I used this to catalogue every one of the super spatial's stats.

But I guess that's beside the point.
I'd love for style seed donation items to be a thing. . .Or for it to like, let you do it as a skill flourish. We already have custom intros that can use it, and all. I suppose at some point it gets to be a bit much? I feel like basic attacks are fine.
This is primarily a roleplaying game and not intended to be an eSports PVP game, which leads me to think people shouldn't always be ICly knowing what a weapon mechanically is going off the visual effects only to begin with (they'll do it anyway), if someone really wants to know if the ""sword"" the person is using is actually a tome they can just right click examine and it'll tell them even in battle.

Besides, nothing is really stopping people from putting on concealment and renaming their salamander sword to golgorth while having mask of metal on as is, there wouldn't be any notorious difference.

The youkai part is more problematic than the weapon one is because there's circumstances where you are very incapable of double clicking such as an overlay going over the youkai icon, at least if you want to take a guess at what gear the person is running it's as easy as right clicking > examine or getting hit by a basic once, no matter the circumstances. It's how people would make sure somebody was using a sword instead of a custom tome "sword" in mainland days and it worked fine most of the time.

Honestly, people being so sweaty in PVP as to try and masquerade their weapons in a maliciously misleading way sound less like they're roleplaying and more like they're playing for ego points. At that point they should get brought up to GMs which people can just DM one and mention that the person is doing something fishy, and if they're actually doing something bad they'll just get requested to stop. The minority being goofy is not enough of a reason to stop others from having more fun and interesting things. I agree with Miller.

If it's too big of a concern then debug mode can just tell you the weapon as Lolzy suggested, but I personally don't think it's that necessary. The concerns are understandable, but there's no major negatives from implementing a change like this because all of the described problems will be the same regardless of whether it's added or not.

The other thing is that a lot of the things already existing in the game, such as aliases, faceicons and even chat colors can be (on paper) used maliciously, if we refrained from adding new things because someone could use it in a bad way, then we wouldn't really having much of the fun things. Imagine if Dev didn't add new chat because he thought people would be evil with the colors, or aliases because he thought someone would be a clown. (And we do get both of these situations, people being evil with colors and clown with aliases, but the pros have far outweighted the cons.)
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
[-] The following 9 users Like Fern's post:
  • Balor, Infernalis, JamOfBoy, K Peculier, Latto, Miller, renowner, Sawrock, Shadbase
Customization and freedom of expression in roleplay should come above the PvP atmosphere, but clarity should always come above all else too, there are valid points to be made about certain weapons having indicators that show you exactly what they might be from a glance and a lot of these do end up contributing a lot to how people view them. Tarnada is given away not just by the status effect, but also by the weapon effect. Gigantys is also given away by this too, it would be hard to tell you could be guard broken if it had a different swinging animation.

For these reasons, among probably more than a few others, I think there are two methods in which you can tackle this clarity issue, the first one that comes to mind is to simply not allow style seeds to apply to weapons that already have set animations. The second option and the better one imo, is to have the original weapon's on-hit play first, and then the custom one second, it might look jank in some scenarios, but imagine how it might also look to have Gigantys' swing animation into a bellowing stag or something else.

I am more of a fan of the latter in this scenario. But yes, clarity is important to me, I would like to keep the ability to read Tarnada from a glance DESPITE someone's weapon customizations. But other than that, yes this should be a feature in the game?
[-] The following 4 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Fern, Miller, Senna, Snake
Debug mode already does that. What I mean is less in a balance standpoint and more as a gameplay point.

At that rate, if we can make our own custom weapons, the point of Dev adding new weapons and new animations will be moot. People think the sound effect and visual effect of a weapon is something that can be toyed with, and while yes, it would open for flavor, it'd further ruin the grip of the developer on his creations.

A more elegant solution to this would just add an equivalent of Custom Tomes for Sword, Spear, Dagger and what-gives, rather than let people drill apart the core understandings of this game for the sake of fashion.

Regalia'd tome swords were a meme enough, imagine those now actually sounding and dealing slash effects?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Quote:Debug mode already does that. What I mean is less in a balance standpoint and more as a gameplay point.

At that rate, if we can make our own custom weapons, the point of Dev adding new weapons and new animations will be moot. People think the sound effect and visual effect of a weapon is something that can be toyed with, and while yes, it would open for flavor, it'd further ruin the grip of the developer on his creations.

A more elegant solution to this would just add an equivalent of Custom Tomes for Sword, Spear, Dagger and what-gives, rather than let people drill apart the core understandings of this game for the sake of fashion.

Regalia'd tome swords were a meme enough, imagine those now actually sounding and dealing slash effects?

The suggestion is not about custom weapons though, it's about replacing/adding a visual effect to weapons already in the game, I don't feel balance and visual flair are connected in this circumstance?
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Fern's post:
  • Anhita, JamOfBoy, Miller
If anything I'd only nod without a question at adding on-hit effect animations on top of what already exists, not replacing the weapon's base effects or sounds. Because that way the weapon's identity stays preserved if it's a 9* or 10* item.

This is just my classes about game design dialing back to me. There must be clarity in some situations that don't require you to go an extra length to type 'player-debug', be spammed and then know the enemy's sporting a Kingslayer because that 'whoopew' sound of it got changed.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Simple style seed for weapons animations, nice.
I'm for this, but I'd limit what seeds work with it. Using Akimbo with three round guns stylized to have the Overload animation could be... loud.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Sawrock's post:
  • Autumn, Fern, renowner, Snake
That's a good point, actually. Gotta think of our ears. I tremble in rememberence of the lightning crystal rose from many years ago.