Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flanking bug [2.73d]
Currently flanking is giving no benefit when attacking from the side. Based on the tooltip for flanking and something Dev said on OOC recently, I imagine that this is a bug. 
[Image: 09eae40e3a.png]
(This could theoretically be thought of as, X was the original half, so subtracting X again equals zero. But I doubt that's the intended result considering the tooltip says differently, and then there would be no point in specifying anything about specifically the side if it was meant to have the same effect as the front.)
[Image: e7a9932aa8.jpg]

This test character has 70 flanking.
[Image: 90f0f47d43.jpg]

Front the front:
[Image: 4e7bc8b451.png]

From the side: 
[Image: ac1eca57e6.png]

From behind: 
[Image: c7f452f228.png]

In this test I was using a level 60 Alastasian human with 60.1 scaled guile and no other stat points allocated. No skill points, talent points, or trait points used. Was using a basic dagger bought from pink's study. The debug text hit rate was the same as the hit rate shown in the pictures above.

As you can see flanking is only currently applying from behind. If this is intended then the tooltip needs to be changed and if its not intended then it should be fixed to grant 1/2 of flanking to adjacent side strikes.
70 flanking
X= Flanking/2= 35
side flanking alone= Flanking-2X=0
Flanking from sides with ally=Flanking-X=35
Flanking from behind=Flanking-X=35
Flanking from behind with ally=Flanking=70

I think the misconception is that you assumed Flanking from the side would be X/4 as in half of X/2..it is however flanking -2 times half of flanking. which means 0.

If that should be changed is probably a Balance Fu thing.

So it actually behaves how dev stated in his example. the tooltip is a little misleading though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • Poruku
I still believe its unintended based on the update notes describing flanking over the years.
They all say that flanking is halved if no ally is also near the enemy, and halved again if you don't attack from behind.
This implies that X is supposed to always be half, not only the original half, which the tooltip also seems to corroborate.
(I also see no update since then describing any changes to guile.)

[Image: ee4d6431de.png]

[Image: fed5f937da.png]
[Image: 6c284e8a54.png]
The latter one reads that it reduces by 50% for each of the conditions you fail to meet. If this is additive, that would be 100% reduction if you're not at their back and there's nobody else flanking them.

This, to my knowledge, is intended behaviour as of the Korvara update, not unintended.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
That makes sense. If this is the case, then the tooltip is misleading and I hope it'd be changed.
Some stuff still isn't changed, like how blind fighter still describes the old blindness check. . .
I'll make a note to update the tooltip when I can or have clicking it link to a help page.