Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evasion/Glancing Blows
[Image: 9c1f83f4c4e0688d09a933e9153afbca.png]

[Image: adac7cfbe45ec317da1789d415bc406d.png]
[Image: XDo90hy.png]
[Image: unknown.png]
It would be nice to know how this new system is intended to work.

Right now silly things like dodging a player's Attack skill currently happens (i.e. X evades Y's Attack!), and when this procs it causes a basic attack to fail before it can even make its own hit check. Monster's aren't subject to this, being able to attack (and miss) despite having their Attack evaded, and their single target skills still deal damage after being 'evaded'.

So how is this system meant to work? Unless the notes (whenever they arrive) will explain this.
"Neus" Wrote:Test servers have been hit and miss historically. Things just aren't tested as thoroughly as they should be and issues that should have been discovered still crop up in the live server after testing is does. Furthermore, I can't really host a test server myself at the moment.

I agree that the last few test server runs have not been the best, usually 1 or 2 people have only been on to test out some shenanigans, so if that's out of the question for the reasons you've already listed, is there the possibility on the temporary removal of this system, in favor for a discussion piece on how this system can be implemented without making dodge far far exceed any other form of defense?
I already have my thoughts about Glancing Blows even though it hasn't been over a day yet.

This is better fitting to be the new Evasion passive skill for Rogue, so turn the 'full damage denial' for main-class Rogues, and a Rank*10% chance for it to activate for sub-class Rogues. Glancing Blows (or should we call it 'Flawless Evasion'?) is way too powerful to not be limited, like Cobra's Snake Dancer.

Quote:NEW! 'Flawless Evasion', Rogue passive skill, Evasion will completely avoid any damage from enemy offensive skills that target you. If Rogue is a sub-class, the chance of this happening is Rank*10% (0-50%), instead of 50+Rank*10% (50-100%).

It was not a bad addition, the 'bad' part was to make it free for everyone, and I really can see this being a Rogue-only skill.

And the current 'Evasion!' they have. (the one that reduces damage by a certain percentage if the hit check fails) should be free for all, like (and unlike, because I also disagree with the Trait part.) Akame said:

Quote:9/6/0 + Scaled CEL/2% would be the 'public' Evasion's damage reduction.
(DR% Bonuses: 9 = Unarmored/6 = Light Armor/0 = Heavy Armor [Better make this not work with Heavy Armor and Mutation, Body Guard can be a little... problematic.], and the armor type wouldn't reduce the amount, to make it fair for Light Armor users.)

Evasion! is already both balanced and functional, it's role on keeping the enemy autohit's insane damage in check and make it fair for people who sacrifice some defenses for agility and damage instead of bulkiness, it even has drawbacks and weaknesses attributed to it, such as being shut down by knockdown and stun.

There were complains on damage reduction before, but they were all already dealt with. Wraithguard was just a major complain because it worked on tanks, further making them broken.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I agree with kunai here, give glancing blows to rogues, Give evasion to everyone based on their armor class.

unarmored, full evasion like the rogue class, Light armored half evasion like rogue subclass, heavy armor no evasion.

heavy armor builds were fine against auto hits since they were planning to take hits anyway.
I think Kunai's idea would be fine, but maybe only a 30%/15% chance, based on main/sub class respectively, to "flawlessly" evade an attack.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
"Lolzytripd" Wrote:I agree with kunai here, give glancing blows to rogues, Give evasion to everyone based on their armor class.

Sort of disagree making Light Armor a 'worse' version of Unarmored, since Unarmored has so many bonuses + Waraji, which makes it illogically tanker than any light or heavy armor in existence.

This is why the armor type, in what I proposed, will only influence a small damage reduction bonus on top of Scaled CEL/2%. Unarmored already has a lot going for it.

"Grandpa" Wrote:I think Kunai's idea would be fine, but maybe only a 30%/15% chance, based on main/sub class respectively, to "flawlessly" evade an attack.

Flawless Evasion won't be working like the current Glancing Blows, if anything it will behave more like Cobra than anything. (Dodge damage, but still allow Heaven Kick, for example, to be executed. But, different from Snake Dancer, you won't receive on-cast effects, like Poison. I find it silly, working like Geist Schritt and outright cancelling the enemy's attack)

And to be honest, 30% is way too low for what it's supposed to do. Since Evasion will (probably) be a free for all, why would not Rogues stand out? You're investing skill points on it. Maybe make LUC matter? Scaled LUC% chance? It's yet another status investment for this, on top of skill points.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
The only issue I can really see is this becoming another "fleur", a skill so mandatory that you see a vast majority of characters/players using that and only that. Outright negating damage kind of stops the whole "autohit" skill thing, which makes them a bit pointless. Even if you would still play out the effect of whatever skill (IE traveling to them through heaven kick), even if it's something that wouldn't trigger constantly, I'd honestly think that rogues would be more balanced just being given a boost to this global evasion through their evasion skill.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
The current system is unfortunately worse compared to an update ago, but it could use tweaks in order to work. However as Spoops suggested, it's better to rollback the changes and discuss before setting anything permanent.

To be honest, I think it would be easier if an universal evasion was given to those who grab the Afterimage trait, and having its damage reduction be Scaled CEL/2. And then, Rogue's own Evasion could be changed to increase the damage reduction you get from this global trait instead. Probably something like Rank*3 or Rank*4, with armor penalties. Considering the tests previously made in the live server, 'Fake Geist Schritt' (Glancing Blow) is far too much.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
I don't think that Evasion should require a trait tax to not be rendered useless by a very popular method of attack. I think that if Glancing Blows was reworked to fit its intended purpose (A more reliable partial damage reduction) instead of its current implementation (All-or-nothing damage negation, but more) it would be a lot more popular.