Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attacks of Opportunity
For anyone familiar with most tabletop games they would know how this works. For everyone else: An attack of opportunity is an automatic basic attack against an enemy in range who makes an action that leaves them vulnerable. The most basic trigger of an AoO is a tarfet moving out of the range of someone, meaning if mob A moves into the attack range of mob B on one turn and tries to move on round two, mob B will attempt to make an automatic attack on mob A.

What this creates is a way for a player to increase their threat when engaging enemies, which aids in playing defensively. It can potentially allow a player to pin down enemies, something tank classes could use a lot.

Ideally, this would apply as a basic combat feature for everyone. There can be skills, traits, and talents that affect it, and things like teleporting using void gates and blink won't trigger it of course. It would certainly add a much needed dynamic to combat and make certain skills more viable.
This sounds like it'd just cause a layer of hassle. Dodgers can always get away, people who pull you in close or stick to you like glue get even MORE free attacks.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3102#p3102 Wrote:Rendar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:57 am[/url]"]This sounds like it'd just cause a layer of hassle. Dodgers can always get away, people who pull you in close or stick to you like glue get even MORE free attacks.

Several things can be adjusted to make up for this, such as dodge penalties versus AoOs or passives/ innates that help guard against it or improve your own. Several skills such as BK's black wind teleporting might disable AoOs for a turn after to keep it balanced. Also you'll have to be facing a target for it to trigger, making placement more important. This can also add another level of balancing by making certain abilities trigger AoOs on you if used too close to an enemy.
This isn't D&D; I don't think we really need this. It could work as a Promoted Class skill, perhaps, but that's the most I can see AoOs popping up in.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
My thoughts can be pretty much summarized by what Sderg and Chaos said.
Don't get me wrong. Something like "overwatch" to automatically attack the first enemy that enters your range (after spending FP on activating the skill) would be fun, but AoO would just stop people from wanting to move at all, just standing in each other's facess attacking twice per turn like braindead idiots, lest they give their opponent free attacks.

If you think I'm giving our community too little credit, please consider this: this kind of "lol fuck movement I need to attack twice for all the damage" mentality is what led to people thinking Yomidori was the absolute worst gamebreaking thing ever for a time, resulting in several nerfs. The entire point of Yomidori is to only be hit with a single non autohit per turn. In theory, it would force your opponent to fight on your terms, making the fight more about manouvering and strategy. But the "baaaaaw I can only hit once" butthurt was absolutely unbelievable.

Basically, people already want to just mash for damage. We don't need to punish the people who prefer to make things dynamic.
*loud burp*