Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steel Aura and Magic Gunners
I've been playing a Demon Hunter / Black Knight for well over two or so months now with a focus on tanking and outputting as much damage as possible at the same time. Every class and way of playing them always has it's weaknesses and counters, but I've taken notice that Magic Gunners tend to be amongst one of the counters to such playstyle and for what I feel is all the wrong reasons.

An issue I find is mobility; a Destiny Soldier with a focus on melee's best option for mobility is Cobra - but as goes for any build, alloting points into something means you're losing out on something else. Alloting points into Cobra can mean you're losing out on offensive/defensive capabilities. If you choose to not take Cobra, your next best option is just using Charge, which is pretty good on it's own as most mobility skills.

The problem is the Celsius shell. Fighting a Magic Gunner who has taken the Celsius shell is the absolute bane of a build like this. From experience, the fight boils down to being spammed with Celsius shell which reduces movement to 1 tile, leaving you just about twenty rounds waiting to finally get to 0 HP. And there's the ocassional Sonic shell to add insult to injury. The only real chance you can get at doing anything is spamming Shinken if they're in a direct line in front of you, or wait for them to make a mistake and Forced Move them into range - which will result in them inevitably getting out of range again and not repeating the same mistake.

Originally, I thought Steel Aura could stop shell effects while active, but a quick test proved this to not be the case. Steel Aura is underpowered; the only two reasonable uses I can think of right now is that one, it can stop gimmick builds, and two, reduce the 50% Elemental Attack from elemental katanas (keeping in mind that it still won't do anything about Elemental Augment and the like). It's a sacrifice of a slot that will only prove useful in very specific situations.

What I'm proposing is to buff Steel Aura to include the Magic Gunner shell effects. While shell effects that can't be resisted are what makes Magic Gunner a worthwhile class, I feel that it can be too needlessly punishing. Fights with a Magic Gunner simply boil down to sitting around and waiting to lose, as there is nothing you can possibly do about it. You can take Cobra to compensate for the Celsius shell, but at that point you'd be ridding of the purpose of your build in the first place.

Steel Aura being buffed could immediately mend this fault, albeit, how it can be buffed is something to be discussed. The core idea is to include Magic Gunner shell effects. As it stands right now, Steel Aura has no cooldown, it can be used as many times as one pleases. What I personally suggest is to shorten the duration slightly and add a cooldown. If the Magic Gunner is not focusing on a single-shot critical hit build, for example, then shell effects are fairly important to them as their regular damage output can tend to not be all that significant.

For example, Steel Aura lasts 3 rounds when activated and possesses a cooldown of 2 rounds. During the effect, a Magic Gunner could reasonably outrun you. During the cooldown, they can apply their shell effects and the like. I would say that activating Steel Aura doesn't delete currently applied shell effects, only those after activating it.

What do you think, lads?
[Image: FgsMGD9.gif]
Perhaps this is an issue of single shot guns still being the biggest banes of any fight to just about anyone, they screw over mages in particular, can kite effectively when paired with winged serpent, and they weren't all too effected by a recent change to power for guns, their massive utility carries their fights to the nth degree, but for the most part I don't think this calls for a buff to steel aura, Steel Aura is already very powerful and while I think it should apply to on hits and on crits applied from statuses, I don't think it should negate shell effects in their entirety, as it doesn't stop skills in general.

To summarize, I believe that perhaps Celcius shell, Sonic Shell and even null shell are too damn effective at what they do when paired with One Overcharge, which I believe One Overcharge should perhaps effect shell damage and not shell effects.
I second Spo here. Seems the problem may lie within the power of what he describes, rather than a sign of a lack of power in that Black Knight skill.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
This is like one of the first steps in making in a long needed BK buff. Dev please consider this.
I can tell you there is one thing I can say about the Black knight, is to buff this and not to nerf Magic Gunner. That would be the wrong way to go about this. However I have to ask, does Charge, Hanging work? I mean for fighting a MG that be a completely waste as you would miss. The biggest problem might be that Hanging is a dodgable ability. If Hanging was auto hit this problem might go away.
Charge + Hanging does work for the extra damage from Charging Strike however it is dodgeable but you get a bonus to hit depending on rank and distance. I do however think this would be a nice buff to BK and Steel Aura with all the MG null shell, interference shell to death meta currently it wouldn't be bad to have a single class that somewhat negates MG since there isn't really many ways besides dodging & a couple of other skills/solutions (mirror, fellel, etc.) that only barely help and iirc Steel Aura only lasts 4 turns and can currently be null shelled off. It isn't overkill. This would be a great change for BK.
Or perhaps you can do similar to Heaven's Kick where it gets more powerful instead of the Hitting bonus.