Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MUCHO MACHO MANLY Grapples & CQC
Big ass disclaimer: I did not put much (if any) mind on balance when thinking about this. If needed, whatever written here can be used as just as it really is. A suggestion for this to get in somehow in the game, since it's some fluff I have been dreaming of for quite a while in some characters.

I had those traits in mind and queue for suggestion for a looooooong while. I even thought this would end up in a 'Grappler' class of some sort, but, first Martial Artist already has 3 classes, and second, that's not really necessary anymore. Not when we are in dire need of new traits and poor Grapple just got shafted because of Shaitan, aye? So yeah, there you go:

Quote:Grappler Training/CQC Training
(Requires the trait 'Spiritual Fighter' and 10 base STR)
At some point in life you have been instructed in how to use your momentum effectively after you grapple people so you can boss your enemies around. This trait grants a few skills that can only be used when you successfully grapple an opponent. Every time you successfully execute a Grapple Skill on someone, you gain mastery, up to 300. (Cannot be used with other Grapple enhances, such as Painful Grip.)
Quote:Advanced Grappler Training/Advanced CQC Training
(Requires 20 STR, Grappler Training/CQC Training at 300 mastery)
You have mastered the way of the grappling so much it became a martial art on its own. One that you're the black belt of it! This trait grants a few special combinations that can only be used when you successfully grapple an opponent and chokehold them.
This cannot stack with other 'Grapple Enhancement' traits. So no Painful Grip CQC. Fuck that.

These traits will grant those skills, all of those cost 2M:

Quote:- Throw. (Requires a STR based check). You throw your opponent, knocking them forward by (STR/10) tiles. If they cannot complete the knockback distance somehow, they're inflicted with Knockdown and take Blunt damage equal to your STR. If you fail to perform the maneuver, you're the one knocked down instead.

Quote:- Slam. (Requires a STR based check). You try to overpower your opponent and slam them on the ground. On success, you will inflict Knockdown and Flatfoot LV20 and deal Blunt damage equal to your STR. On failure, you'll be inflicted with Worn Out LV20 for 2 rounds, as the maneuver itself is quite taxing on your whole body.

Quote:- Suplex. (Requires a STR based check). A basic maneuver that can crush even the bravest of the possessed trains. On success, this inflicts Clumsy for 3 rounds, warps* your opponent to your backside**, if possible, and deals unresistable Blunt damage equal to your (Scaled STR * 2). In both cases, the two of you are knocked down.
*I imagine this working like Turnover from Soldier, but only inflicting damage after the animation is done.
**If there is an enemy unit there, they will also take damage and be knocked down.

Quote:- Chokehold. (Requires a STR based check). You try to tire and impair your opponent by strangling. On success, inflicts Chokehold*/Chokeheld** instead of Restrain/Restrained for 2 rounds. At the end of it, if the enemy still doesn't break free, they're inflicted with Worn Out LV(Your Scaled STR/2) for 2 rounds and lose 8% of their maximum HP. On failure, you'll be inflicted with Guard Break for 2 rounds, as this maneuver leaves your arms tired.
*Chokehold should prevent move, movement skills, skills and spells from being used.
**Chokeheld should prevent spells, move and movement skills from being used.

Furthermore, both of these are technically Restrain, but with a 'silence' attributed to the target, and without the condition of 'end on your next round', or else it wouldn't give people a chance to struggle out, nor for the special interactions to happen.

Quote:- Special Interaction: Judo Throw. - If you use Throw on an enemy under the effect of Chokeheld, the number of tiles knocked back is equal to 1 and thus, will knock the enemy down and inflict damage without needing an obstacle. Failing this will carry out the same drawbacks of Throw. (This will remove Chokehold/Chokeheld and inflict Worn Out LV 10 on both.)

Quote:- Special Interaction: Close-Quarters Slam. - If you use Slam on an enemy under the effect of Chokeheld, you will have a STR-based chance to inflict Stun. Failing this will carry out the same drawbacks of Slam. (This will remove Chokehold/Chokeheld and inflict Worn Out LV 10 on both.)

Quote:- Special Interaction: Superlex. - If you use Suplex on an enemy under the effect of Chokeheld, you will have a STR-based chance to create a huge shockwave that deals (Scaled STR * 2) unresistable magic Wind damage in a 6 range circle. This will also stun you. (This will remove Chokehold/Chokeheld and inflict Worn Out LV 10 on both.)

And a new Martial Artist skill passive:

Quote:Stance Prowess
Increases the chance of any STR-based check by half of your SKI, up to a maximum of (Rank * 5)%***.
***Or just a static 25% cap, and make this a 1 point passive skill.

Suggestions? Feedbacks? Complains? I'm all for it.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Remember the basics of CQC.

In all seriousness, I think it's a neat idea.
for how good a lot of these are, i'd think they should be seperate traits you have to buy individually, rather than giving the whole buffet just for buying two skills and grabbing jammers all night.

being knocked down alongside your enemies sounds fun in theory for suplex, and it is kind of neat that martial artists would be able to pull it off more effectively. might want to check the shockwave on superlex though. last thing we need is for suplex to become a 6 range explosion of painful grapple. unless you just mean wind resist doesn't affect it. in which case it doesn't sound too bad but the explosion range is still huge and it can be pulled off in one turn if these are all 2M.
I think making it so you can only use one grapple skill per round can fix this oversight.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
These are far better off as Class skills, rather than allowing anyone to just throw in 2 Trait Points (which are readily available) to access several powerful skills across the board.

Also, consider that these skills yield much better results than Painful Grip. In particular, the Superlex combo does far more damage than Painful Grip ever will, and Stun can be abused for a free heal/50% DR. Considering Painful Grip was restricted to only one race, these come off as a bit more unbalanced.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye