Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My body as a shield (True Sacrifice) Trait suggestion
I think it'd be cool to have a trait where you could use the soldier ability protection without the need for a shield. Using their own body to block the blow.

Requirement to unlock: Chivalry talent with 5 points or more.

That's honestly about it, you can use protect without a shield present in your hand slot. Knights are altruistic in a way, so it'd make sense that they'd be willing to block someone near them with their own body.
Important (I felt anyway) to balance and making shields still preferable to this: Still have it require a skill slot dedicated to it, and otherwise works as Protect except with no DR or something.
Very niche situation where you want to Protect but don't have a shield, I know. But damn if I don't wish I could have protect for IC reasons
To not draw away from the use of protect with a shield either you could possibly make it a trait that stops projectiles at you, instead of carrying through you, or make it an active skill you'd have to utilize in order to protect. (Something like a buff for x duration, as protect is passive)

Good idea regardless, as someone who does play a protect knight I have to say its entirely under sold right now.
I like that for a general trait. But perhaps this will need a small cooldown once it procs? Or the protector takes 10% more damage when intercepting a strike for their friends.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Spoops post_id=36702 time=1558922099 user_id=193 Wrote:To not draw away from the use of protect with a shield either you could possibly make it a trait that stops projectiles at you, instead of carrying through you, or make it an active skill you'd have to utilize in order to protect. (Something like a buff for x duration, as protect is passive)

Good idea regardless, as someone who does play a protect knight I have to say its entirely under sold right now.

[Image: 75230ec64e5049c9765bc8cd6d521687b05b0946_00.gif]

I like the projectile idea the most.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
How about a chance to go into the enemy's weapon path ((scaled DEF%+ scaled CEL%)/2) instead of 100% chance that soldier protect gives?
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
Sawrock post_id=36706 time=1558957422 user_id=73 Wrote:How about a chance to go into the enemy's weapon path ((scaled DEF%+ scaled CEL%)/2) instead of 100% chance that soldier protect gives?

I feel like forcing it to rely partly on Celerity and then average it out with Defence would ultimately gimp it and make it underwhelming. I'm kind of in favor of Snake's suggestion and maybe locking it behind a 5-to-10 percent damage up for not having a shield - that way it remains functional and have some sense of a trade-off.

Edit: Amended a minor typo, added a bit of wording to the end.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
This feels way too powerful for a passive trait. It would provide one of the best team utilities of Soldier without the drawback of having to spend a hand slot on a shield. I'm fairly certain this would need strict conditions to be met or penalties for jumping in the way to be feasible to give to everyone.

Thematically, I think it's a good idea.
We could also add another talent to the chivalry tree.

SR*10* chance to honor your promise to protect your allies by jumping in front of a basic attack to protect your ally with the protect skill even if you don't have a shield. If you do have a shield you may now jump in front of skills too.
Being able to intercept single target skills as well would be one of the more powerful support effects that would make being a tank worth it. In almost every team fight with a dedicated tank, they're just ignored until they're the last person standing because damage mitigation is almost entirely a personal endeavor.