Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monk and the nature of On-Hits
Running around Sigrogana, I've noticed that a lot of on-hit effects granted by weapons and the like tend to ignore armor, or are flat out unresistable. By that logic, I feel as if Serpent Strikes from monk should be given the same treatment. As it stands right now, Serpent Strikes gives a monk +crit equal to how much Ki they have, while also giving their basic attacks 100% acid attack on hit as magic damage, with no other benefits. It's reduced by both armor and the enemy's Magic Defense, meaning tank characters tend to reduce this damage down to single digits.

I feel like with the onset of on-hit effects being able to ignore armor or be flat out unresistable in some cases, that serpent strikes should get some love, too. Keep it at 100% acid attack but only ignore armor, or reduce it down to 50% but allow it to ignore armor and be unresistable. My personal opinion is that Serpent Strikes should be a monk's way of dealing with characters with high DR, outside of Geldoren's -7 defense/resistance.
No. Acid is already hard enough to resist. It's an on-hit that deals damage equal to a STAT rather than 50% of it (Granted, it's easier to get more damage via 50% of an Ele ATK) alongside GUI Giving Crit Damage Modi, more skill slots, and such.

It's a win-win scenario and you can do plenty of damage with it as is. You even get up to +30 Crit which is a lot, doubly so when combined with certain other things.

So personally, i'unno about this one. It's one of the highest damage on-hits without the use of elemental overtime due to the fact that realistically, a person will have 5% Ele Resist to Acid at best.

It's also a class passive as opposed to being a weapon, so y'know. Can potentially stack with other on-hits and all that. I'd rather not.

So that's a no from me, kiddo.
Serpent Strikes should apply to Monk's melee offensive skills that don't involve them chucking death orbs on people. That'd be kind of cool.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I don't exactly see 7 damage a hit being 'plenty of damage'. Similar results if you run 60-70 acid attack, except now you're doing 11-12 acid damage a hit. Not to mention to get to those levels you need to really start pumping up guile and maybe even sacrifice an accessory slot for the snake amulet.

Let's not forget there's only actually two fists that scale with guile: The new 10* Chakram which is 40% guile scaling, and the Pickpocketters which are 25% guile scaling. If we want to count the Stinger dagger that mutates into a fist, that's 75% guile scaling.

Outside of those three specific fist weapons, you're going to be hard-pressed to build your weapon's scaling, on top of skill/luck for basic attacking, while funding points into vitality and your defensive option of choice (Such as cel/luck for dodge, or def/res/vit for tank).

If you're uneasy over a 100% acid attack class option, that's why I mentioned being fine with it being dropped down to 50% in order to ignore armor. If it were to become unresistable then It being 25-30% sounds reasonable as well.
I'm with Pinny here. The damage potential it 'could' get may seem like a problem to you, but the it would rarely hit those numbers in battle, in favour of more often being on the lower scale. The thing is, most brawlers don't build a large amount of guile as is (or, well... basic attack at all) so this is a woefully underused thing.

To see it put in line with other on-hits in damage would be completely fine imo. Give more reason for monks to basic attack. (because god knows a lot of them are just in it for the great ball of light mainly)
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
Also with Pinny here, anyone who build a Monk with guile knows that you end up lacking, so atleast the gimmick you build for should be worth it.
I haven't made a monk yet, but guile IS the shittiest stat in the game.
Take it from a dude who actually BUILT a Guile Based Monk recently to use the new chakram? I only took 40 guile, and my chakram's ability on average does more damage then the Acid attack on hit. It being affected by DR is what makes Serpent strikes bad overall, I'd much rather just not care for for the acid damage, and use it for the extra crit. As I do now. Guile is in a kinda bad state right now. It is like, even for dagger builds, you'd prefer a dagger that doesn't scale mostly guile so you can use less and just take advantage of the massive amount of crit damage you have. I do want serpent strikes buffed, but how it is now? It'll have to do some absurd scaling to actually be usable compared to on hit effects otherwise. That or we shift it to a different style of things, since It isn't based off the attack, which you can scale elemental attack a ton. Even Acid can get higher compared to just going off the stat itself.
The acid damage shouldn't be reduced by armor/magic defense -- it incentivizes the 'tank beats all' mindset already being complained about on the forums, makes building for it difficult on stats, and does relatively modest damage even if you're building for it. Crit-fist monk builds are nearly nonexistent as is, there's no reason not to give them some bite against tanks.
I personally think that GUI is a fine stat statistically, its definitely worth building and shouldn't be discounted so easily, its biggest issue is that most of its weapons also either scale STR or don't scale enough GUI, or have low power.

It takes a metric shit ton of Guile to compare to a 2handed weapon, since SWA amplifies critical damage pretty hard compared to just stacking critical damage.

GUI scaling weapons need a revamp more than GUI needs one, as statistically GUI is fine as a stat but should be considered a 3rd lone damage stat, comparable to the likes of STR or WIL, not to be combined with either for most weaponry, barring special exceptions.

I'm willing to create a thread on the awkward state of guile as a stat at another time, onto the main point here:

As for Serpent Strikes and the way it behaves, I'm not sure it used to do this to this extent, but it definitely is being resisted by magic armor for sure, it needs to ignore that for certain. I'm unsure of if this was changed, because my experiences playing suicide cat are where it felt like I was shredding apart tanks, even the armor stacking ones.

It definitely does not need to ignore M.DR, on-hits normally do not ignore that stat regardless.

[Image: u3iGpwx.png]

with about 70 Acid ATK, 55% M.DR and 15 Magic Armor reduced what should be 70 damage per hit to 15 instead.