Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exaggerator
The new trait, Exaggerator, is far too accessible and far too free to use in the circumstances that it's most powerful.

Because we have an abundance of trait points and Exaggerator has no prerequisite, nearly every character in the game has this skill. The effectiveness of the Hesitation does not scale with any stats, and infliction checks are more often than not successful on characters that rely on basic attacks to deal damage. Because basic attack builds usually can't afford high status resistance, the only archetype that's punished by Hesitation usually cannot stop it from being inflicted.

A level 20 Hesitation on potentially the entire Battlefield is generally useful -- of comparable usefulness, in my opinion, to Motivate (Charisma). However, because of the aforementioned difficulty of getting Status Resistance that can compete with an 80% infliction rate + 50% scaled STR%, Exaggerator almost always ends up being free to use when in combat with three or more enemies.

This ability is far too powerful to be a free cast. The Momentum cost should never be refunded, because even a 3 momentum, 3 round, mass-Hesitation is extremely efficient in the right situations. The strength bonus to the infliction check is thematically pretty neat, but I would also like to see a stat prerequisite to the ability: either Strength, Will, or Guile. It's a cool trait, but EVERYONE having it makes it less unique, and, in my own biased opinion, less interesting. When it's a 'fire and forget at the start of every team fight' button, it's no longer nearly as cool of a trait. It's just mandatory power.

TL;DR:

I believe Exaggerator should lose the refunded Momentum on successful Infliction, and should have a minor stat prerequisite to learn the trait. Optionally, but not in place of the previous suggestions, have the Hesitation level scale with the relevant stat like Motivation (Charisma) does.
One thing to note is that exaggerate does suffer from the bravery talent making it barely more than a 10% chance to hesitate which most people also have.

While I agree that many people are spamming it I disagree with the conceipt of making it possible for you to tell someone their clothes are stupid and give them a strength based level 40 hesitation
To say its suffering would be a bit of an exaggeration since the infliction itself is usually regarded as completely free, best case scenarios are looking at roughly 220+ status infliction while general users are sitting at 170 usually.

I dunno what to add other than it probably shouldn't be nearly completely free to use, it refunds momentum as an encouragement to use it against a lot of low status res targets. It also is tied to no stat so pretty much everyone has it.
I kinda like it for PvE content though, I'd prefer if the momentum refunding quality only applied to monsters rather than it being removed entirely?
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slydria's post:
  • WaifuApple
I think Sly is onto something, yeah. The momentum refund only working against monsters sounds like a splendid idea. If it needs a stat requirement, I feel like GUI would fit the bill quite well. (Due to needing the quick thinking needed to come up with a believable story.)
Late but I'll weigh in to support this too. Having something that can disadvantage basic attack builds more and potentially refund itself seems a little overtuned to me. In the same vein, I can also support keeping that effect for PvE - that'd still give it use without making it almost inconsequential in combat.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
I agree with Slydria. The momentum refunding should work only with PvE mobs would strike a better balance.
[Image: tenor.gif]