Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Event] SWARM!
Swarm!

Now that I have your attention... here's an event announcement! Though, unlike other events... this doesn't have a set date, and never will. What do I mean...? Well, let me tell you!

While there are plenty of private plots and storylines depicting intelligent villains with a goal and vendetta in mind, after hearing out the concerns of some members of the community, I decided we were lacking in more events like this! Sure we have the mine raids and the black beast raids... but they're often static, and very predictable when you get down to it. The world needs more danger to feel like it's truly alive... and not just the big time hot shot danger we already have. No, it's time to get simpler...

The creatures of the world seem to have been getting a little more reckless recently. Gathering in larger numbers than before, rallying around a powerful member of their race, they've been causing chaos in outbursts all across the world. BDPs are their own danger, but these creatures are loose and causing mayhem, and it's up to you to rout the gatherings before they become a problem.

At times you may see an announcement warning you that a swarm is gathering in a certain location. These swarms are essentially absurd numbers of mobs lead by a boss that fits themetically. Often they'll be basic mobs (though there may be slight changes in moveset to spruce them up) but you might see some mobs custom made for the swarm from time to time. The swarms you see will vary from land to land, so near Lispool you might see more ice or water mobs, Karaten and Chatarunga more undead mobs (Loyrwell and otherwise) and, Alstalsia... well, who knows? Perhaps the mobs there might be a mix of them all at once. You'll just have to see.
Now, here's an important thing or two to remember.
All encounters in the swarm are IC. I am not running this event for it's mechanical value, so I'm not going to spawn mobs for someone who is OOC for example. I don't expect these to be particularly popular events, but they're made to help the world feel alive, not solely to give more mechanical stuff to do.
These swarms will be more balanced around a team, rather than going solo. While I'm willing to accomodate your IC if you want to do the risky thing of running it alone, please do not complain if they feel unfair because you did them alone. If they feel unfair and you did them with a group, by all means let me know what the problem was.
After each event I'll add a post on here that summarises the swarm, telling people who missed it what the swarm was, where it happened, how many were defeated, etc. You are also encouraged to talk about the experience IC - there's only so much I can do to make the world feel alive with these if they're forgotten as soon as the event itself is over.
I hope you'll all look forward to these in future!
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
[-] The following 6 users Like WaifuApple's post:
  • Akame, Hanzo, Lewdcifer, Noxid, Perdition, Snake
Swarm Summary 1: Giant Ant

After a giant swarm of critters under the lead of a bunch of giant ants got a little out of control, adventurers and Chataran forces alike under the command of Kai organised an attack to dwindle down the numbers. At first, the creatures were many and overwhelming, but through great pressure the numbers dwindled.

From there things slowly began to come under control and the swarm was routed properly. Not without any injuries on the side of the players, but successful nonetheless.

Swarm Kill Count: This time I lost track. Around 12, though - which is pretty good.

Things may not have gone down too well for the first one but harnessing the untapped potential and not letting one failure bring things down means that from here I'm going to see what I can do to make the next one great. Stay tuned.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WaifuApple's post:
  • Noxid
Swarm Summary 2: Goblin Raid

While not officially advertised as a swarm, it followed the same simple nature and everything, focusing on the goblins in goblin cave and some additional variants, and their raid on Dormeho purely in an attempt to loot stuff from the city! The turnout for such was large, and was able to help with routing the problem before too much was taken. But some armor was stolen and the clinic has lost some prescription medicine... yet again. Ah well, that's for another lucky person's quest...

Okay - I've figured out that these things work out when not made more grand than they need to be. A simple thing with no warning or build-up is enough to draw attention and get people forming their own roleplay around it, or just getting involved. It was simple, and no complaints have been passed to me yet on the matter... I think?

Thank you to all who attended!
[-] The following 1 user Likes WaifuApple's post:
  • Aqua