Poll: Are you up to helping!?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
66.67%
2 66.67%
No!
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Minor Monster Variety
So this is sort of a combination suggestion.  I'll start with the most important part first.

I want monsters to have tiers of strength, that's easily spotted from a glance at their pallet.  Some sort of progression like

Dire Rabbit/Horned Rabbit/Shock Rabbit/Vorpal Rabbit/Lapine(from french Lapin, rabbit) Lord

with progressively better stats/level and progressively more(and better) skills.  They'd each have different pallets to easily distinguish-  For this example, T1 would be white, T2 orange, T3 yellow, T4 black(vanilla mob), and T5 probably a mix of colors since it should be special.

My thoughts on how they should be arranged is like this:

T1 appear in dungeons level 1-20, T2 in 21-40, T3 in 41-60, T4 in 61+.

With an additional subsystem- When a mob spawns with a miniboss prefix, it spawns as one tier higher than normal.  This means Tier 5 mobs can only spawn as minibosses in top level dungeons.

This would make for more mob variety, let us indirectly buff or nerf some mobs that people struggle with at levels where they're too strong/too weak, and just kinda be cool in general.  If you're not down for this next part, Dev, I totally get it but I'd also like to see higher tier mobs have a higher chance to drop ten star items-  Something like, T3's have a low chance, similar to current chances, T4 have a little bit higher chance, and T5 have a 15% or so chance of dropping their ten star item.

For some examples on indirectly nerfing or buffing:

Sand Shark(vanilla)/Pebble Shark/Stone Shark/Titan Shark/Earth Eater

In this sample, Sand Shark isn't that strong of a mob already, so we can just set it as a tier 1 or 2 mob and then build up from it.  Whereas with Vorpal Rabbits, Frost Tyrants, or Grindylows, since they tend to be a tougher mob, they can be nudged a little higher up the rungs- to tier 3 or 4.

Frost Prince/Frost Baron/Frost Tyrant/Frost Fiend/Draconic Destroyer

And for this sample, Frost Tyrant is a strong mob, so it's placed near the center- maybe even up to being a Tier 4 mob.  It's something that'd need a lot of thought and probably vetting from Dev as it goes through.

This is a HUGE undertaking, so if anyone would be keen on helping out with this project, I'd love to see some response from them here in the thread.  Especially with regards to making edits to sprites, since in this system every mob in the game would need 4 more versions of itself.

P.S. I personally really want to see a Bare Bear/Scare Bear/Rare Bear/Flare Bear/Arctorian(from greek Arctos, Bear) Annihilator line.  That's all really.

EDIT: TL;DR by popular request.

Pallet swaps of mobs that are stronger or weaker to give cool mob variety and a tier system.  More loot for stronger mobs.  Miniboss mobs are a rank higher than other mobs of their level.
[-] The following 2 users Like Maksimum_Fire's post:
  • Fern, Miller
More PVE mob variety would make it more fun to play PVE in general I'd say. If this idea does get through in some form, I don't mind helping out with monster palette swaps so long as the icons are provided!
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
As my first follow up post to this, I'll present some ideas for more monster names:

Cinder Fox/Fire Fox/Frostbite Fox/Inferno Fox/Void Vulpine(or Vulpine Vega[the brightest star in the constellation of Lyra])

Jammer series:  Kept mostly vanilla for spawning.  Jammers Theta, Sigma, Kappa, Lambda, Psi added as Tier 4s normally, as well as upgraded versions of early jammer types.  Jammer Omicron added as a T5 for all regular Jammers, which includes at least one trait from every jammer type.

Starving Legume/Carnivorous Legume/Vampiric Legume/Consuming Legume/Demonic Devourer

Goblin Apprentice/Goblin Shaman/Goblin Wizard/Goblin Summoner/Dauntless Diviner

Goblin Shiv/Goblin Spear/Goblin Sword/Goblin Knight/Experienced Eviscerator

Diver/Delver/Dunker/Doomer/Disaster

Mockatrice/Meduner/Gorgon/Beholder/Eye of Homunculus

Cinderspitter/Firespitter/Frostspitter/Flamespitter/Fire Elemental

Furnace/Forgery/Freezer/Foundry/Salamander Slab

Wings of Warmth/Cinder Wings/Wings of Ice/Wings of Fire/Helondis' Heat

Windylow/Cindylow/Grindylow/Grimdylow/Stalactician  (Windylow leaves a trail of Air Shafts in its Spike Attack and does less damage, but inflicts lingering damage, Cindylow does less damage but leaves cinders, Grimdylow leaves dark water tiles, Stalactician would need something special.)

Sliding Corpse/Sliding Zombie/Sliding Skeleton/Sliding Wight/Tumbling Titan

Corpse Finger/Corpse Hand/Corpse Arm/Living Arm/Arm of Lazarus

Haunt/Curse Hound/Barghest/Death Worg/Sanguine Stalker

Shade/Spectre/Phantom/Wraith/Remnant Mass

Mad Bush/Mad Vine/Mad Shrub/Mad Tree/Furious Foliage

Bandit Trainee- T1 for all bandits, with no skills but a unique weapon and PR Stabilizers.

Bandit Gunman/Bandit Sniper/Bandit Businessman/Infamous Gunslinger

Bandit Backstabber/Bandit Zephyr/Bandit Jumper/Assassin

Bandit Bruiser/Bandit Brawler/Bandit Beater/Titanic Thug

Bandit Bowman/Bandit Archer/Bandit Poisoner/Venomous Vermin

More soon to come, sure enough, but that's all I have for now.
I think T5 monsters should gain a unique item for each, aside from the regular 56+ rates. Something that would make the appearance of a T5 mob special.

My suggestion? Borpal Bang. Does Borpals. Yes.
I think part of the struggle with that is that you make even rarer items than like, boss ten stars. I might be in favor if we had a way to encounter T5 mobs in some consistent manner, like maybe... Weekly level 80 statics with only special enemies, or something like that. But given the way I have T5 mobs written right now, they're meant to be a scary surprise that gives a lot of loot.

A special item would give them that sense of special loot, but if it had a low drop rate like ten stars right now, I feel it'd just get to be frustrating; especially if one of these items became popular. Sort of like Eternal Servitude, which has been sold for 500k murai or more before.

I'm not completely averse to the idea, but I think we'd need to rethink T5 mobs for it.
(09-28-2020, 05:35 AM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: I think part of the struggle with that is that you make even rarer items than like, boss ten stars.  I might be in favor if we had a way to encounter T5 mobs in some consistent manner, like maybe...  Weekly level 80 statics with only special enemies, or something like that.  But given the way I have T5 mobs written right now, they're meant to be a scary surprise that gives a lot of loot.

A special item would give them that sense of special loot, but if it had a low drop rate like ten stars right now, I feel it'd just get to be frustrating; especially if one of these items became popular.  Sort of like Eternal Servitude, which has been sold for 500k murai or more before.

I'm not completely averse to the idea, but I think we'd need to rethink T5 mobs for it.

If the necromancer spear can exist, I'd say one o' these fancy 10*s can exist too. While necromancer spear is from a static place, there aren't really any other rewards you get for running him on loop. Just 2 murai and a chance at a spear.

The most common form of grind is a BDP, and adding some fancy spice like R A R E drops would make me play more of them.
(tl;dr at the bottom, lazy peoples)

Personally, I just want a challenge in any way, shape or form that doesn't come from me willingly making myself do stupid actions or only losing due to being outnumbered while being able to keep the amount of build variety that I can easily get away with in PvE.

I don't give a shit much about most of this loot or whatever.
Then it'd just become another method of preparing for overall PvP.

As I see it, if you don't care about PvP, then you only PvE because you somehow enjoy the loop, want money for building things without pestering others, really just like being a hoarder or just want to suffer so you can give free stuff to everyone else or sell stuff to others that they'd get a use out of more than you.

To put it bluntly. If you remove fighting others from the equation, can you really say you'd have much of a reason to PvE if you're not a builder?
Artificial difficulty stacking will hardly fix the multitude of issues PvE already has.

Increasing Rare Drop Rates from enemies with higher tiers or whatever would also literally make it so people overall commit to PvE less outside of the initial allure of "wow, higher chance, I feel only a tiny bit more motivated to remotely try and get these things so I don't have to play this god forsaken game any longer than I have to while getting to commit to beating someone else up."

I don't even think we necessarily need this, even if I see minimal harm coming from it, I also see minimal change coming from it in the grand scheme of things.
I just want a non-artificially bloated challenge that isn't braindead easy to breeze through while still having some value to the Non-PvP crowd.
Even if I do go into the PvP fray, I find my pure PvE characters often lacking in any actual reason to go grinding at the end of the day outside of sheer IC.

And I can just OOCly fluff that for the same exact result without the suffering time or pointless, mind numbing time.

Most of that stems from the AI being bad and a lack of reason to actually go in too deep on PvE.
So solutions are as such.

Either commit to giving a lot more stuff to grind for, many of which are good, alongside not being able to really replicate their material or enchants at times. Aka, add in new materials, enchants and whatever to add more to the regrindability since getting one item right now would commit to y'know. Just being instantly changed to fit your desires, which reduces grind value.

Or.

Add more interesting mobs that aren't just powered up or different elemental variants but rather have different skills and an improvement to the AI to keep you spicy on your toes and what have you. Exclusive mobs that only turn up in higher dungeon ranges would also be a godsend.

Also increase the minimum cap that a dungeon can spawn at up to 90. Of course, don't allow capturing of mercs or whatever past a certain point. Make it so that the Iahsus cycles affect dungeons way more, so players can actually utilize this more than they do now to their advantage.

A lot more risk to reward factor.

That's about it, really. tl;dr All of the issues I see with PvE, based on the post that for some reason redirected me here, won't remotely be solved or even put in too much of a more 'fun' or better place unless they skills actually did different things that weren't just more gouged damage and flat stats or stolen skills from players/other monsters.

Okay, bye.