Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amber Maria - A method of maintaining youkai longer
Sorry for making a second one for the same character so soon, but I figured it was different enough that I should likely make it a different one.

Applicable BYOND Key - SoulOfLuna
Character Name - Amber Maria
Request Type - Character Ability (Creation of a tool to keep youkai summoned for a prolonged period)

Request Details - This request is for my character, Amber Maria, whether by herself or with the aid of other people, to find a way to make a "summoning field", either via use of a specific tool or as an ability, whatever is more acceptable. The field would allow a youkai to stay summoned with no strain on the summoner (or reduced strain, if no strain at all isn't acceptable) as long as they stay within range. It would (most likely) be limited based on the strength that a youkai is summoned at, the number of youkai that needs to be sustained, and the amount of time they are summoned (I am willing to work out more specific amounts over DMs if necessary). The field would have to be maintained with a spatial core, mana crystal, or other similar object, by drawing on focus from the environment, or any combination of the prior. It likely couldn't be relocated, merely created at a chosen location.

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) - My character has made use of youkai for a long period of time now, along with a couple of others she is familiar with. On numerous occasions, she has required to call on her youkai for various activities for a prolonged period of time, with the constant strain likely getting pretty difficult to deal with whenever more than perhaps 2 youkai are needed for a longer period of time. In addition, due to a rather dangerous lifestyle, she has reasons to ensure that it's easier for her to both maintain a positive relationship with her youkai as well as have an advantage on the off chance someone chose to attack her home. As such, she would likely look into the possibility of creating something along these lines, assuming the rules of how summoning and youkai work don't interfere with it.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request -

Lore: Based on what's in the game already, it is possible for a youkai to be sustained without even being contracted to a summoner, let alone drawing on focus from one - spatial cores maintain multiple youkai, on occasions stronger than even the kinds players can use, at full power. In addition, the possibility of absorbing focus from a nearby area has been established through several skills in the game, along with mana crystals or similar things. From my understanding, youkai can obtain focus from areas aside from their summoner, and in this case, said summoner would still be close by, so the range limitation of youkai disappearing wouldn't be an issue either. The only uncertain part of this that I can see is if being contracted to a summoner changes a youkai's ability to be sustained by sources other than their contractor.

Roleplay: Amber has been making use of youkai for close to a decade ICly, if not longer, learning various details of how they work, as well as speaking to and sparring against numerous summoners now. As a result, she has a thorough understanding of what youkai are like, and due to her experience as a Spellthief, she has plenty of knowledge about focus and various kinds of magic, as well. Should that not be enough, she would be able to look to other people to talk about the possibility of working together on its' creation.

(No RP logs, apologies. Worst case scenario, I could try to ask people that met the character to help with filling in some of the gaps.)

Note: Should any of this be an issue, I'm more than willing to talk and/or adjust details regarding this request. Worries of it being abused would be perfectly understandable, but I'm not entirely sure how much is too much, so I'm willing to work out exactly how powerful this sort of thing is allowed to be, if it is at all approved.
Well, I imagine something like this would be possible. I think it probably makes sense as a specially crafted magical tool that emits this field.

Limitation wise, I'd say there's some things to consider:

- If the field is spread too thin, the effects would be diminished or eventually useless. Keeping it to the dimensions of say a large house would probably be fine though.

- Eventually the focus source will run dry. You'll just need to swap that source out every now and then.

- More youkai summoned would mean a faster focus drain and thus shorter field lifespan before needing to replace the focus source.

- Being a magical feature that essentially provides focus, I imagine it would be rendered useless by dispel or interference magic directed at the source.

- You'll still need to be within summoning range for your Youkai to be maintained, even if they're drawing on the field instead of your own focus.

Assuming that's all fine, I don't have a problem approving this.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
The only thing I would have as a question for this is that... I distinctly remember some of the lore questions mentioning that you're allowed to summon your youkai in a weaker form that consumes less focus, January 2019 to be precise. Would summoning a youkai in this weaker form also lower the field's drain, or would the field give the same amount of focus to all youkai?

Aside from a little clarification on that, all of the limitations seem perfectly reasonable to me. Thank you very much.
Quote:2) Is it plausible for a Youkai to shrink in size via summoning them or some other means? i.e. a Kilkenny being summoned with minimal focus, and instead of a big 'ol cat, we get a small kitten-youkai that has minimized power?

3) If yes to the above, would that mean the amount of focus drained is reduced?

2) Sure.
3) Proportionally to the power, sure.

I'd say it would lower the drain, yes.

Alright then, you can consider this approved.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]