Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Victoria Freeman, Request for special weapon
Applicable BYOND Key - Moku203
Character Name - Victoria Freeman
Request Type - Weapon
Request Details -  
I had an idea for my Paplion that I was planning to make into a magic gunner, I was wondering if I could regalia her weapons into mind based attacks so that any shell effects would RPly only be illusory but still cause damage because of it (IE. fire shells making other player characters feel the heat even if it isn't actually happening. thus causing harm to them)

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) - It is mostly just for the RP of her being able to spread her madness to other people and make them believe she is hurting them without actually causing them extreme physical harm, nothing permanent would happen unless the other character OOCLY agreed to it

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request - Paplions have mastery over illusion and she will also be a trained mage, so I think it could fit somewhat well with the lore, giving her heightened abilities to manipulate minds and make people believe they are seeing things that are not there. (Cinders, Ice, blinding lights etc.)
I've been mulling this one over since it covers a couple interesting questions:

- How far should someone be allowed to change a weapon?

- Should illusions that make people believe they've been harmed actually be mechanically utilized?

As for the first one, my opinion is that using mental illusions as your literal weapon is probably too abstract to allow. It'd be one thing to have a gun and use illusions to mask it or make others believe it's shots are coming from a different angle with illusion-based arcane shells, but I think it alone being broad illusions is questionable.

For the second one, I'd say it's ultimately a case of "can illusions be used to cause actual harm" to which would be no.

The reason why I think it's a problem is thus: If you cast a fireball at someone, they will be burned. If you make someone believe they've been hit by a fireball instead, they will only think they've been burned but if they know they're under an illusion and resist it, the damage would be no more, which is something that can't really be reflected properly in combat.

Again, I think it's one thing to use illusions to misdirect with actual skills to fight or use established illusionary skills (like the ones from Spellthief) or use non-damaging skills RP'd as illusions but I don't think illusions causing illusory harm works for mechanical combat. As for RP combat or scenarios? Sure, that would be acceptable.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
(11-14-2020, 01:44 AM)Slydria Wrote: Again, I think it's one thing to use illusions to misdirect with actual skills to fight or use established illusionary skills (like the ones from Spellthief) or use non-damaging skills RP'd as illusions but I don't think illusions causing illusory harm works for mechanical combat. As for RP combat or scenarios? Sure, that would be acceptable.

So as in, say someone was going to attack her, she would be able to cast a non combat illusion to muddle their perceptions and attempt an escape or something similar to scare them off? (such as making them see her form changing in some way to make her more threatening) because that would be more than enough for my idea in how to move forward.

Also thank you for the response.
W-what? what do you mean I need to have a catchy signature....i don't know how to do that....wait are you writing this down!?
Quote:So as in, say someone was going to attack her, she would be able to cast a non combat illusion to muddle their perceptions and attempt an escape or something similar to scare them off? (such as making them see her form changing in some way to make her more threatening) because that would be more than enough for my idea in how to move forward.

Yes, I think this would be fine.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slydria's post:
  • Moku203
Alright, this works perfectly for what I had in mind, thank you very much for your time Sly.
W-what? what do you mean I need to have a catchy signature....i don't know how to do that....wait are you writing this down!?